Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1564274  by bostontrainguy

All sounds good to me. I thought there might be some additional trackage rights up the CSX River Line included, since NS has posted that they are looking for a better route into New England from the south, but don't see anything about that.
 #1564277  by J.D. Lang

Wow all sounds good to me. I like the part where NS can run 22k/23k double stacked over the B&A. I think a lot of shippers will submit there support to the surf board on this.
 #1564278  by newpylong

Worcester Main about to get some long overdue TLC.

What will be interesting is moves for 22K/23K to gain access to the B&A. Where is that going to be?

Unless my head is shot, the only move I see without a shove or runaround, and avoiding Amtrak entirely, is using the Albany Main and the currently out of service connector onto the Selkirk Branch at VO.
Last edited by newpylong on Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1564280  by CN9634

Thats a major concession by CSX, but I think they basically just bought NS's silence on the rest of the transaction, and possible in the eyes of the STB balanced out competition with both Class Is having an interest in both lines. Interesting day, time for a beer for sure.
 #1564281  by johnpbarlow

Sounds like Gardner yard might not be needed as G&W can run non-stop between E Deerfield and Worcester. That’s a significant time reduction. Wonder if NS gets to interchange autos with P&W at Worcester? My guess is the Voorheesville connection gets revived to allow 22K/23K to use the B&A rights. Which means there would be a double stack/auto move between Delanson and Mechanicville.
 #1564282  by johnpbarlow

Also G&W can operate St Albans to Ayer giving CN a friendly single connecting RR to metro Boston - maybe there's an untapped intermodal market there?
Last edited by johnpbarlow on Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1564283  by Shortline614

I know that many have said they expect NS to get out of the New England market, but doesn't this transaction prove that NS is committed to it? If NS were looking to get out of New England then I would expect them to keep running 22k and 23K over Pan Am Southern (now Berkshire & Eastern) and just take whatever deal CSX offered. The new trackage rights over the B&A provide NS a big leg up in the region.
 #1564284  by J.D. Lang

What will be interesting is moves for 22K/23K to gain access to the B&A. Where is that going to be?
Possibly from Delanson to just north of Voorheesville by the industrial park?
 #1564285  by newpylong

johnpbarlow wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:53 pm Sounds like Gardner yard might not be needed as G&W can run non-stop between E Deerfield and Worcester. That’s a significant time reduction. Wonder if NS gets to interchange autos with P&W at Worcester? My guess is the Voorheesville connection gets revived to allow 22K/23K to use the B&A rights. Which means there would be a double stack/auto move between Delanson and Mechanicville.
Probably see a return of the dedicated job to/from Mechanicville vs shuttling cars to/from Delanson. Not really an operationally great spot to set off or pick up huge blocks. The interchange track is only 1300 feet long and no room to lengthen really. I doubt they are going to leave that type of traffic sitting there anyway too much risk of break in, happens all the time.
 #1564286  by Red Wing

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 am
I would think the REAL party in interest would be the "T" themselves. They would have concerns regarding how much additional freight traffic Chessie expects to handle over the FRA Class 4 trackage, albeit owned by the Boston and Maine, but which they pay to have maintained to handle passenger trains.

You'd think that NNEPRA would also have like concerns.
Actually the Commonwealth owns everything that the T runs on, the only thing that my guess will change is the Western Route will be taken in-house for dispatching by Keolis and adding the second track in Andover.
 #1564287  by HarmonicRock

newpylong wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:40 pm Worcester Main about to get some long overdue TLC.

... and the West End will continue to be a 10/25 mph railroad.

While the G&W was and is the most obvious choice for the PAS debacle, I can't imagine this bodes well for the line west of Deerfield
 #1564288  by johnpbarlow

And say goodbye to the recent steady diet of SD60E leaders. Plus Ayer should be pleased by 22K no longer tieing Up the Groton/Harvard Rd crossing (a primary route to the local hospital) for 30+ minutes.

I see a lot of “wins” for Southern New England here.
 #1564290  by newpylong

HarmonicRock wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 pm ... and the West End will continue to be a 10/25 mph railroad.
While the G&W was and is the most obvious choice for the PAS debacle, I can't imagine this bodes well for the line west of Deerfield
I don't see any detrimental changes to the physical plant in store even moving the intermodal pair to the B&A. I still see it as a Class 2 railroad.

NS still has to hand their PAS tonnage off, CSX still has to hand their PAS tonnage off, CP still has to hand their tonnage off. The Battenkill still needs their tonnage. The VTR will likely still sending their NS and CSX cars out Hoosick Junction. G&W must also see something to agree to operate a railroad for someone else...
Last edited by newpylong on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1564292  by CN9634

I keep some optimism here-- there is a bit of duplication Conn-River wise of course but largely I think PAS fits the GWI franchise like a glove providing a hub in Western Mass toying together the sprawling lines, and ensures all properties have four major Class I connections. While its really going to be 4 short lines, it could work collectively as 1 large regional on some initiatives depending on what GWI wants to do with it.

Hopefully they bring on a familiar team (maybe some existing Pan Am management) that can continue to grow online business. I think that it actually unlocks some interesting overhead potential with a combination of several lines that plays benefits to the Canadian RRs in particular.

Wonder where they'll put the HQ? If Ayer, it would again lend to some of the existing Pan Am management to slide on over....