Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1561508  by Backshophoss

Figure on them keeping mainline switch on 1 (middle) track to OB track 1,but are not happy maintaining that moveable point frog on Mainline 2 track.
 #1561518  by MattAmity90

Funny thing though about the track numbering. Currently at Hicksville from North to South it goes 1-2-3 with Track 1 being for trains terminating/originating there. The Solari signs at Hicksville show arriving/departing on 1A-2 (which is both A and B since the doors open for both)-3B. Same thing at Babylon, and the next stop at Lindenhurst it's either 1A or 2A (only one island platform). At Bethpage and Syosset the display will say 1A-2B. In all instances the Northern track is Track 1, yet when you get to Penn Station the Northernmost track is Track 21. Even at Jamaica from North to South it is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 (Not sure what the tracks are numbered for Platform F, but I know Tracks 1-8 are serviced by Platforms A-E).
 #1561525  by Head-end View

MattAmity90, the LIRR numbers mainline tracks differently than the station tracks in major stations with multiple tracks. As you pointed out at both Jamaica and Hicksville stations the tracks are consecutively numbered from north-to-south. At Penn Station they are numbered south-to-north as per the Pennsylvania RR's original numbering scheme. (Amtrak also numbers mainline tracks that way)

LIRR's mainline tracks are numbered with odd numbers always westbound starting with "1" and even numbered tracks always eastbound starting with "2". So for instance on a four-track mainline the numbering from north-to-south will be 3-1-2-4.
 #1561957  by BM6569

Good updates in this article on the New Hyde Park work:

"Work on the South 12th Street underpass and a substation on the corner of South 9th Street and 3rd Avenue in New Hyde Park is progressing as scheduled for the LIRR’s third track plan, Trustee Rainer Burger said at a village meeting last Thursday.

“There are a lot of activities happening there,” Burger said at a Board of Trustees meeting. “We do have the underpass that is being dug out right now.”

The crews on the project are looking for a “push” in the middle of April, Burger said. Third Track Constructors, often referred to as 3TC, is the building firm working on the project.

Crews are continuing to excavate for the new pedestrian underpass on both the north and south sides of the tracks, the MTA said in a news release.

Following excavation, crews will begin to form the walls of the underpass, the MTA said.

A track outage is scheduled on April 24, Burger said."

https://theislandnow.com/new_hyde_park- ... -progress/
 #1561996  by Head-end View

Why is LIRR building an underpass? They usually build pedestrian Overpasses. Isn't an underpass likely to promote crime, homeless people sheltering in it, etc?
 #1562001  by photobug56

I gather that you've not been following the project. They are leaving the tracks at the same level at several locations, creating a bridge for the tracks, and an underpass for cars and pedestrians. Check out their site for details, but it's the absolute best way for what they have to work with, and the project, via Design/Build, is on or ahead of schedule and budget.
 #1563783  by MattAmity90

Man, it has been almost a month since something interesting has happened with the Third Track Project.

Things have been limited according to photos taken due to the unforgiving winter storms. Edward Hand has been trapped in Brentwood and has only been taking pictures at Brentwood, Islip, and Great River. Others however have given myself a closer look at updates.

1.) Concrete pillars continue to be erected for the new Platform B at Mineola.
2.) The brand new Platform A at Carle Place is officially opened back up and is back to platforming 12 cars.
3.) Third rail has been installed West of Hicksville near the Northern Siding on what will be the third track.
4.) I'm pretty sure Merillon Avenue's new Platform A has gone back to platforming 12 cars. The two elevator shafts now have artwork displayed.
5.) Excavation at Willis Avenue is MUCH deeper than I originally envisioned on both sides. One side is deeper (for the new Willis Avenue roadway) and another is higher (for the localized road one way side road with new grade crossing), but I have no idea how the excavation is going in between the Main Line and Oyster Bay Branch tracks.
6.) On February 20th, another "grade" crossing was closed for good. It is not the vehicular Main Street, but the bustling railfan location of the Main Street pedestrian crossing is now permanently closed.
7.) As far as New Hyde Park, they are constructing a new temporary Platform B on the other side of what was 12th Street (now pedestrian underpass), which has me guessing NHP's new Platform A will reopen to platform a full 12-car consist.
8.) Finally as far as Westbury goes, just metal power poles being erected.
 #1563849  by Head-end View

Those high new metal poles along Union Ave. in Westbury by the station are very imposing looking. They definitely change the landscape. I almost feel sympathetic to the residents of Garden City complaining about them. But not quite. LOL I'm sure we'll get used to them. :wink:
 #1563974  by MattAmity90

If people along the Babylon Branch were able to get used to erector set metal poles and towering wooden poles, then the people of Hicksville, Westbury, Carle Place, Mineola, Garden City, and New Hyde Park should be able to as well.

Actually Edward released a new batch of about 60 photos over the weekend. New Hyde Park's Platform A is nowhere near completion, both temporary platforms are in service. The new temporary Platform B is still being constructed. I don't mind the tall metal poles, it reduces the chances of poles on the tracks if tropical systems or the high winds sweep the island.
 #1563981  by njtmnrrbuff

Many rail lines have very high transmission poles and wires. Yes, the people living along the Babylon Branch have been able to get used to those very high metal poles. Hopefully people living along the Main Line between Floral Park and Hicksville will. I look forward to the day when there are more rail options available on the Main Line between Floral Park and Hicksville. Between Train # 2008 and 2010 in the morning, there is an hour and forty five minutes between eastbounds which is very inconvenient, given the number of places of employment in the suburbs between Floral Park and Hicksville that have many reverse commuters. After this third track is done, we have to wonder if all of the trains that run to the Montauk Line will use the Main to the Central rather than the Babylon which is mostly a two track right of way. Looking at the LIRR Montauk Line schedules, I see that many of those Montauk Line trains often have to crawl on the Babylon Line behind a local in spots rather than doing nonstop 80 mph running. When the third track on the Main Line is done, then those Montauk Line trains can probably max out at 80 for much of the trip between Jamaica and Babylon.
 #1564001  by njtmnrrbuff

It’s been 80 for diesel trains on the mainline for a while. I’ve ridden plenty of them making that speed and have had them pass me at 80 as I have stood on station platforms.

Yes along the Amtrak NEC, that’s very true about those extra high voltage towers on Amtrak’s own wires. As part of the NEC but along MNR’s New Haven Line, there’s plenty of transmission poles. Within the past few years, brand new high transmission wires were installed along the New Haven Line between the east limits of Peck Draw and Milford, just west of the Milford MNR Station.
 #1564072  by Head-end View

Njtmnrrbuff, how do you know if the trains you were riding on or watching from a platform were going 80mph? Are you guessing or do you know from a dependable source that the speed limit was changed?