Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1551586  by Cosakita18

This particular local had lots of steel loads for BIW so maybe those boxes were bringing in other things related to steel assembly? That's the only thing I can think of that would make sense.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1551615  by gokeefe

I wondered about BIW as well ... First time for everything ... I was more curious if perhaps they finally had a customer using the loading dock in Rockland that was originally intended for refrigerated cargo ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1553795  by Shortline614

Quick Question! When does the contract to operate the Rockland Branch expire for CP?
 #1570993  by Narrowgauger

Just a couple questions.....what route do the CP locos take to get to Brunswick (and to Rockland) ? And how many locos is CP assigning to the line? I spent many years railfanning the branch back in the MEC days and have always liked the line. Surprised no one ever reports more.
 #1571024  by markhb

I listened to the NNEPRA Board Meeting today and when they oft-delayed Rockland Branch running came up, the Maine DOT rep said that CP has approached the state about giving up the Rockland Branch soom (doesn't surprise me; a dead-end short line that only connects to a competitor never seemed like the stuff Class I dreams are made of), and a new operator announcement will be made shortly. So get your photos of CP power traversing the Carlton Bridge while you have the chance!
 #1571025  by Shortline614

I'd expect the Vermont Rail System or maybe G&W to make a move. Although wouldn't it be funny if CSX ended up operating the branch? Trade one class one for another! :wink:
 #1571032  by MEC407

Seems a little too "small potatoes" for G&W, although I suppose having SLR relatively nearby would give them an advantage.

WATCO was and still is a possibility. If I recall correctly, New York & Lake Erie RR was one of the bidders during one of the previous Rockland Branch contract openings. There was another railroad from that general region that put in a bid, too... might've been WNY&P, FGLK, or SRNJ maybe? At any rate it'll be interesting to see who the new operator is.
 #1571046  by gokeefe

You can count on whoever it is that the State will ensure they are friendly to passenger rail. G&W is not known for that (not unheard of but someone who knew once told me they were proud that they didn't have a single mile of Amtrak operations).

This was after the Vermonter went back to the Conn River Line. I was mildly surprised ...

#1571189  by backroadrails

Irving, Pan Am, Morristown & Erie, and CMQ were the 4 bidders I remember from the last time the branch went up for bid. I imagine Irving will place a bid in order to increase the NBM Railways footprint in Maine. But who knows, maybe M&E has a renewed interest after the loss of multiple lines in NJ.
 #1571199  by Cosakita18

The question is though, could any of those operators drum up new business for the branch? Right now the Thomaston-Rockland cement shuttle is the only thing keeping the line viable.
 #1571204  by MEC407

Cosakita18 wrote:...could any of those operators drum up new business for the branch?
I don't see how. Maine Coast, Safe Handling, Morristown & Erie, and Central Maine & Quebec all tried to drum up new business; none of them succeeded. And I don't think any of them are at fault, nor can MaineDOT be faulted. It's just geography.

Also worth noting that of those four railroads, M&E tried the hardest and put the most effort into it. They were very customer oriented, and their excursion trains were well liked. I still think it stinks to high heaven that the contract was given to CMQ instead of re-upping with M&E.
 #1571551  by gokeefe

That line is almost pure passenger potential. I suspect the State will have that in mind going forward. I think that the CMQ decision was based on a desire to achieve additional revenues at the time. They don't amounts were probably meaningless.