Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by usa4624

I am surprised Metra has not publicized this more than they have. The commuters on the electric line have been demanding toilets for quite some time.

With only 26 new cars, will Metra run scheduled train with toilets, and then charge a premium for them? :wink:

by doepack

It hasn't surprised me that this has been kept pretty quiet, since frequent users of Metra Electric have had to endure a somewhat inferior level of service over the years that has long since festered into a sense of discrimination and mistrust among the passengers, and is only now starting to be addressed. The turnstiles were taken out two years ago, which at long last brought ticket auditing practices in line with the rest of the system, plus the renovation at Randolph St. station is finally done; indeed, the new station is bright and lovely, and a SERIOUS upgrade over the dark, smelly, and utterly depressing hole that was there before. Passenger-friendly changes to this route are finally happening.

I suspect that the new 1200's will be pretty much confined to the University Park main line initially. But as for a premium charge for the use of the restroom toilets, I know you're being facetious, but really, after making passengers suffer with no toilets all these years, Metra should be offering limited one-time discounts for monthly riders, if only as a goodwill gesture. Probably won't happen, but it would be good PR nonetheless...

by Tadman

I understand ME passengers want equality with the rest of the system, but are they forgetting those that drive or take Pace have no restroom? I drive from Lincoln Park to Chicago Heights every day and I haven't written a letter to BMW about the lack of toilets in their cars.

by doepack

Tadman wrote:I understand ME passengers want equality with the rest of the system, but are they forgetting those that drive or take Pace have no restroom? I drive from Lincoln Park to Chicago Heights every day and I haven't written a letter to BMW about the lack of toilets in their cars.
It is quite likely that the majority of those that drive or use Pace do so because that's the best available option. However, I believe that every effort should be made to make all modes of public transportation a relevant option to those considering it, despite the fact that Metra has historically fallen short in this area when it comes to marketing the service on its ME route. Indeed, I've been critical about that, but now I also believe that Metra should be applauded for addressing these issues with the recent upgrades to both the rolling stock and physical plant. FWIW, I'd like to see some Pace routes equipped with restrooms too, especially on its longer routes, but that's another story. Besides, I think there's more at stake here than just fairness and toilets. Let's not forget the bigger picture.

It has been proven that the most effective way to present public transportation as a viable and attractive alternative to driving is to make certain the service offers the proper combination of convenience, accessibility, cost, and reliability. Amenities such as comfortable seating on trains equipped with restrooms, accessible parking, and clean, modern facilities at both the downtown terminals and the outlying stations enhances the experience for all commuters, and therefore, would be less inclined to drive as a result. Until recently, Metra Electric customers were exempt from such positive experiences, and I am pleased to see this trend finally reversing into the right direction.