Railroad Forums 

• DCL's Lewes Swing-bridge

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1466436  by Teutobergerwald

Too bad. I've heard that some questioned the figure DelDoT came up- $3,000,000, and think it is just a sham to start getting the State out of the rail-operation subsidy business.
 #1466574  by RailVet

During the last Toys-for-Tots run I learned from one in the know that it will cost $2.5 million to tear up the line, so that $3 million in "savings" (by abandoning this length of the line) is largely illusory.
 #1502906  by RailVet

The tracks on the south side of the bridge were pulled some time ago. Those on the north side, going to the railroad's only customer at the end of the line, are seen still in place in the latest Google Earth image. I haven't been back since the last cars were pulled out of Lewes so I can't say for certain if they're still there now but I'll ask around.
 #1506517  by Teutobergerwald

Passed by the bridge two days ago. Still there, derelict. The former right of way west of Gills Neck Rd. had people walking on it.
 #1580718  by Teutobergerwald

In the end, more money will have been spent on this and the scrapping of the line than would've been spent on repairing the bridge. :(