Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1560224  by nomis

There was a washout, per FB.
 #1560231  by BandA

That's embarrassing and CSX's fault. CSX should write apology letters to Amtrak and to the Amtrak passengers. I assume the holiday week and coronavirus leave them tight for staff and perhaps people filling in. Sometimes stuff just happens and it is a good learning experience, but CSX owns the track, both freights and scheduling so they should step up and "own it".

I am going to speculate on the scenario: Freight train #1 delayed due to washout, timed-out & canned next to the signal. Crew set appropriate number of hand brakes & left. Freight train #2 came along and also timed-out in the same area, blocking the line. That's bad; at this point the dispatcher should have had train #2 park on the same track as train #1. To do that the crew from train #2 would have to get out, restart #1, move it to create space, park it again, then move train #2 onto the same track. Probably didn't have enough time left to do all that work. I guess my question is whether dispatchers are aware of train crew scheduling and availability, or are the schedulers aware of dispatch problems? Ideally, train #1 should have anticipated the need for another train to can and could have guessed how much space they needed to leave. Then they would have had to walk the extra train length to the access point. Dispatcher should have anticipated how long before the new crews would come on duty and sounded the alarm before the LSL arrived.
 #1560239  by J.D. Lang

Train crew should have canned in Palmer. Problem solved and 449 just keeps it schedule. Poor dispatching.
 #1560242  by bostontrainguy

Well it was New Year's Eve and in my union experience it probably was the last man on the totem pole working. Don't know if they recently hired new dispatchers or not. Just unsubstantiated guessing on my part.
 #1560245  by roberttosh

If there were racks out on the main line for the auto terminal, there may not have been enough room to put both trains back to back on the siding and still clear the crossover at CP60, in which case the LSL would still not have been able to get by.
 #1560269  by NHV 669

Monster Q634 just passed through Fairport, NY. Close to 200 cars, and 60 percent of those were C&D's, including a cut of 90 plus behind the odd 1x1 mid-train DPU setup they're running.
 #1560518  by cd2434

I was out trackside on Sunday 1/3 and definitely noticed the increase in train traffic from the "great unblocking" that must have occurred after all this cleared up. Made a good day for photos & videos at least... I caught a yard switcher GMTX 342 (MP15AC) tagging along in one of the consists, anyone know where it might have been headed to/from?
 #1562207  by J.D. Lang

I was just now watching the Fairport NY Virtual Rain Cam and a loaded eastbound CSX coal train just went by. I can't think of any place east of Rochester that receives coal except the Bow NH powerplant. Does anyone know if they have a load coming?
 #1562211  by cd2434

J.D. Lang wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:49 pm I was just now watching the Fairport NY Virtual Rain Cam and a loaded eastbound CSX coal train just went by. I can't think of any place east of Rochester that receives coal except the Bow NH powerplant. Does anyone know if they have a load coming?
I did some digging into this as I was curious myself.

The train symbol is N655 per the train log the webcam volunteers maintain. That train goes from Newell, PA to Ravena, NY per this CSX train symbols page: http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/C ... oal_trains

Ravena, NY is home to a cement plant, which operates using a coal-fired kiln. Apparently the kiln was upgraded recently so there are a few news articles confirming it is coal-fired: https://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-busin ... 673902.php

If you look at Ravena on google earth it's pretty easy to see the plant & coal cars sitting outside: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4965089 ... a=!3m1!1e3

So I think this particular coal train will not be on the Berkshire Sub unfortunately :(
 #1563829  by roberttosh

Wondering what CSX Q train picks up and drops off cars for the Housatonic at Pittsfield? I'm thinking that by the time most WB trains get to Pittsfield they're already reaching capacity so am curious as to how they manage to tack on another 20-30 cars. Thanks.