Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1562158  by Douglasphil

That map is dated 1956? By that time there had already been cut backs. The 4 tracks had extended to Framingham and Ashland, hence the Third and Fourth Iron tracks in the Framingham area.
 #1562169  by jamoldover

Not quite.

The 4-track section ended (going west) just before the New Haven crossing in Framingham (where today the branch from Mansfield connects), and became two main tracks crossing Concord St. Track 4 then started again just past the Framingham station, and continued out to Ashland, where it ended just before reaching the station there.

The "third iron" and "fourth iron" names actually have nothing to do with track numbers on the 4-track section. Those were 1-2-3-4 from north to south.

A better map to use would be at http://zekedev.com/sites/boston_line/index.cfm which is a complete track chart of the line (showing all of the side tracks as well as station locations) from 1950.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1562175  by newpylong

My contacts say all the devil deals of the past 40 years are coming to light. Lines that are not abandoned but no longer exist, long term leases on property and the terms etc. NS is also not making it easy with Ayer as a big sticking point. Mellon is getting pissed with how long it's taking.
 #1562189  by BandA

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:33 pm New three year labor contract for Pan Am ratified.

https://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/newsflash.asp?id=13427
So PAR only has 81 Engineers and "Trainmen" / "Conductors"? I assumed it was a bigger operation. 2% annual wage increases won't even keep up with cost of living, obviously I don't know their current wages. Don't want labor friction to "derail" the sale. When they become CSX employees will they keep this agreement or adopt CSX's?
 #1562190  by newpylong

It depends on what type of labor protection is requested and if any granted. When NS took over the D&H south end they hired a good portion of CP employees back but there was nothing forcing them to.
 #1562192  by Gilbert B Norman

Could someone closer to the industry than I can claim to be nowadays, and maybe within those two crafts, help as to how does that apparently Local Agreement compare with that negotiated with the Conference applicable on the Class I roads, such as Chessie?
 #1562198  by newpylong

When I was there the local agreements in general were preferable. The call time was longer (4 vs 2 hrs), we got holiday double time, long distance train pay, short crew pay for B&M legacy conductors (if no brakeman you got 8 hrs pay), engineer trainee stipend, got paid regardless of whether you made your destination or sat in the yard for 12 hrs, the list went on and on.
 #1562199  by Gilbert B Norman

Yikes, Mr. Newpy.

If Timmy was that "generous", why was there such a long and bitter strike on the property?

I'm sure Chessie is aware of, what sounds to me, like a "sweetheart", and I'm sure she has considered if that will "wildfire" to the rest of her System. Of course, perhaps she will serve a "Section 6" and attempt to negotiate it away; perhaps "grandfathering the whiskers" and the new hires come under her System agreement.

Gotta say, for one who spent three of his eleven year railroad career in Labor Relations, "sounds like sport".
 #1562200  by newpylong

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:35 am If Timmy was that "generous", why was there such a long and bitter strike on the property?
Because the pre-ST contracts made the post-ST ones look like working in Alcatraz. I should note I am sure the national contracts have benefits over the ST ones and they likely get some similar perks. I believe the pay rate was slightly higher. Unsure if ex-ST folks will get Dovetail rights, it depends a lot on how they set up the Division.
 #1562203  by Gilbert B Norman

Random thoughts Mr. Newpy; I know it was actually the BMWE that "walked", but somehow I don't think "you guys were about to cross" and work on an unsafe road to begin with that was only going to become more so.

Finally, for Times subscribers or anyone else who frequents their local library (the reading room in mine has been closed "for the duration"; of course they still get their $121.74 in taxes out of me), here's a short summary of the strike:

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesm ... issue.html
 #1562208  by wally

the link provided by mr. norman hides behind a paywall.
 #1562212  by BandA

Does PAR have one region or more? What is CSX' region? I assume they will need all the MOW employees and then some for upgrades. Or maybe they have better more automated TLMs, etc. With increased velocity they would need fewer employees, unless business increases then they will need the same. Plus takes a long time to train. Someone mentioned the risks earlier that they would consolidate their repair shop away from Rigby?

Since it is winter, how do CSX & PAR compare on snow fighting?