Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1561934  by NY&LB

They were not gondola cars, they were sealed containers.
Someone actually drove into the locomotive in broad daylight at the Hope Rd crossing when they were running those contaminated dirt trains. I do not know the date but remember it well and the train, with a single CSX locomotive (LHF) was then "tied down" behind the Howard Commons housing area for a day or so before being re-crewed. No serious injuries.
 #1561943  by Bracdude181

@NY&LB Never heard of this accident before. Doesn’t surprise me that it happened though. The drivers around there are crazy and will run the lights without hesitation. The fact that the lights are wired for 25 mph trains when they now do 10 mph does NOT help, as the lights stay on longer than necessary and very few are willing to wait.

There was another accident in Lakewood in the early 2000s I think. I don’t remember the specifics. I believe it was an incident where SA35 was working the team track and an illegal immigrant ran the lights and got hit by the train as it was reversing.

I personally fear that it’s not a matter of if, but when, I will see something like this. When I do, it will probably be in Downtown Lakewood...
 #1561981  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Nice find. Looks like they forgot the part about how long it takes to go from Red Bank to Lakewood and back because Conrail hasn’t doom proper track maintenance in 16 years.

This isn’t the only grievance Lakewood has had about the train. Check this out:

#1561995  by Bracdude181

Just heard someone call in Coast Line Dispatch on my scanner about 8 cars on Chruch Running Track. Didn’t hear a symbol.

Is that SA-93 or OI-16?? It’s not 31 because they are down in heightstown with the two CSX engines.

Edit: Nevermind. It was something about an NJ Transit switch issue I think.
If not then it’s OI-16.
 #1562010  by RailsEast

Just fwiw...
(A) That video is from 2014
(B) OI-16 does not utilize the Church Running Track
(C) To my knowledge, there was no one on the Church Running Track this afternoon.
(D) The railroad was here first (1860 or so and, yes, even before automobiles); they can do what they want at any time of day or night. If the residents do not want the 'rumble' , they can move eastward or westward to avoid that.
 #1562037  by R&DB

RailsEast wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:29 pm Just fwiw...
(A) That video is from 2014
(B) OI-16 does not utilize the Church Running Track
(C) To my knowledge, there was no one on the Church Running Track this afternoon.
(D) The railroad was here first (1860 or so and, yes, even before automobiles); they can do what they want at any time of day or night. If the residents do not want the 'rumble' , they can move eastward or westward to avoid that.
Absolutely right Chris! I believe the Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad reached Lakewood in 1858 or 1859. If the railroad didn't exist, most likely Lakewood wouldn't exist. Georgian Court College was the estate of George Gould, railroad financier. Ocean County Park on Rt-88 is the former estate of the Rockafeller family.. They travelled to/from their estate via the CNJ long before there were autos.
 #1562041  by Bracdude181

Found out that the thing on Church Running yesterday was an NJ Transit maintenance crew working on something.

While it is true that Conrail reserves the right to operate when they please, I do think they should run slightly earlier. They show up on church running just before evening rush hour which I’m sure NJ Transit is happy about, and they used to run in the middle of the day anyways.

Wish we could go back to that. If not for the locals sake then for mine lol.

If they are complaining now then wait until what happens when the sand trains start up and we see longer and more frequent trains!

As for the train horn noise, no amount of complaints will change that. Quiet zone crossings are expen$ive and Conrail won’t put that much money into this line, not now at least.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1562042  by CharlieL

Reminds me of the early 70s when a new homeowner near Newman Springs rd and Normandy rd found out the railroad tracks were actually used. And on Sunday night! And later found out what they were carrying.
 #1562043  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

CharlieL wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:32 am Reminds me of the early 70s when a new homeowner near Newman Springs rd and Normandy rd found out the railroad tracks were actually used. And on Sunday night! And later found out what they were carrying.
Oh the Navy tracks. They only use one track now. They did a project a few years ago to remove one of the tracks at each crossing
 #1562044  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL There are so many instances of situations like that happening. It’s an endless cycle!

>Move into neighborhood without researching the surrounding area
>Procede to complain about everything they were supposed to research before moving there and get it shut down for “quality of life issues”

That mentality is actually partly responsible for why the TRIT closed. The senior communities HATED the train. Some where complaining about the noise that might happen when the Lakehurst to Woodmansie line reopened, until someone apparently told them to shut their mouths.

Why do people view trains as a big noisy menace that exists solely to waste their time at railroad crossings? Would they rather deal with being stuck behind semi trucks constantly if all rail lines closed down? Lol
 #1562051  by R&DB

This discussion reminds me of a family in the 80s who bought a house in Bay Head and complained about the engines idling in the yard at 6 am. The yard had been there longer than the house they bought.
 #1562054  by CJPat

Unfortunately, that whiny family in Bay Head cost us tax payers huge money as NJTransit had to build soundwalls to protect the neighborhood that didn't exist until the 1990s.