Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1558703  by Jeff Smith

Don, thank you for the update. I am sorry to hear about the losses due to the pandemic.

I stopped by briefly during Riverhead's Polish festival a few years back. It sounds like you have made some improvements since I was there last. I was not aware of your location in Greenport.

Please share how your fans can help with RMLI. If you'd like, start an RMLI-specific thread where you can post media using our new embed feature with this bbCode: [media][/media]
 #1559396  by Twin Forks NRHS

Hello everyone!
Work continues on our Boston and Maine Osgood Bradley car 4590! After a few weeks of removing rotted sections of steel, the rebuilding process has finally begun! The following photographs show the work that has been done since our last update:

This photo shows where we last left off. The southwest end of the car has been taken apart. The trap and steps have been removed in preparation for the rebuilding process.

When the steps were removed, they basically fell off as a result of all of the rot. We cut off the remaining section of the car that was still attached to the car and started prepping the steps to be reattached.

As the steps were prepped for reattachment, the trap area was rebuilt. New steel was put up and any rotted areas were removed/replaced.

Then the first new horizontal support beam went up!

Before and after the new metal was put up on the car, the new metal was wire wheeled. After the new metal was put in place, it was immediately primed with etch primer.

Then the new vertical support beams started going up.

And after a few more minor repairs in the trap area, it was time to put the steps up on the car.

And now with the Southwestern trap area done, we started applying more new vertical support beams.

And we started moving towards the east end of the car

Finally, this past Sunday, we put up the next horizontal support beam on the car!

We are very excited to see all of this work being done, and we look forward to returning 4590 into her Minuteman glory!

With all of the work being done to our 4590, we would appreciate any donations. EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS and any donation would be greatly appreciated and will go right back into the work we are doing on 4590! Please support our work!
https://gofund.me/d1df055d
 #1561067  by Twin Forks NRHS

mirrodie wrote:Save a SW1001. Haven’t those served the RR the longest?!
The MP15AC is about the same age as the 1001's. We would like to eventually save one of them, but only time will tell if we are able to or if the market value is to great for one to be donated.
 #1561136  by Backshophoss

There're no new switchers being built by Wabtec/GE or Cat/EMD,The Mp-15's and SW-1001's are more desirable for their underframes to build a next gen battery loco or as slugs for road switcher units
Too much $$$ value to donate for now
 #1561811  by ConstanceR46

Wasn't the plan as of a few years ago to recycle most of the E15s and E10s into a new order of "Green" diesels like the NYA's ones? They even drew up a cuomo-colored version of the classic Swoop and everything.
 #1565069  by Twin Forks NRHS

Hello everyone!
We figured its been a while since our last update on 4590, so here it is! We have just about finished putting up the new horizontal support beams on the car. The last remaining beam that needs to be put up attaches to the area where the trap is on the southwest side. We have to hold off on that because we have to take the trap steps down first. In the meantime, we have been reattaching the vertical support beams to the car! Check out the photos to see the work we have been doing. We expect within the next month or two, we will begin the process of putting the new skin on the bottom section of the car!
Stay tuned for more updates!
free image hosting
free image hosting
free image hosting
 #1574162  by RGlueck

I believe, based on Facebook information and having my ear to the rail, OBRM is reassembling LIRR #35 in quality cosmetic display condition. While I wish the locomotive was being restored to operational condition, it appears the MTA is solidly entrenched (currently) in a no heritage policy. By reassembling the 35 now, it locomotive has been cleaned, assessed, and will be ready for deeper repairs in the future. Certainly it's been apart for long enough. Reassembly makes good sense. A disappointment, but better than having parts scattered and unsecured.

I, personally, do feel that either 35 or sister 39 will bring in thousands of riders, viewers, supporters, and dollars operating anywhere in former PRR territory. I similarly believe both locomotive would do much more than economically break even. It isn't the museums that have dropped the ball, it's the support of those of us on the outside who know better, but have done little or nothing to help bring the G5's back to service. Personal opinion, and I am not representing either group though I have paid dues to both, and spoken up for the steam programs of both.

#1574356  by R36 Combine Coach

RGlueck wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am It appears the MTA is solidly entrenched (currently) in a no heritage policy.
Must be LIRR only. NYCT does have heritage with the NYTM and MNCR seems more open toward
heritage (donating equipment to DRM, for instance and also the Harmon open houses in their
day).
Backshophoss wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 am There're no new switchers being built by Wabtec/GE or Cat/EMD,The Mp-15's and SW-1001's are
more desirable o build a next gen battery loco or as slugs for road switcher units Too much $$$
value to donate for now.
MPI did offer new build switchers in Boise, but since that assembly plant/shop has closed, not sure
if they will continue switchers in Erie.
 #1574442  by ConstanceR46

I'd put the MNCR and LIRR as roughly equal; both do donate stock but don't seem to allow fan-trips. NYCT may be a special case because at the end of the day the museum stock is all serviced by their shops; there's no third-party to screw something over
 #1576775  by workextra

That P72 looks good though like most need floor repair.
For Twin Forks, that job can be done but it’s a big job, that takes a lot of time. They have to fix the floor on one of their 2900s. If enough donations and or funding is realized, this would and possibly more could be contracted out and professionally done in much quicker than If left solely to volunteer labor.
Remember Long Island (locally) is not very conducive do volunteer labor with its high cost of living and many members having to work and I sustain their families before they can sustained the equipment. This has been a huge factor many of us tend to ignore.
My self included.
I know I harp on the pervious generations. But There’s a lot more to it Than that alone.
Fact is, preservation efforts can really do a lot but they need dedicated funding and volunteers. To those of you not already for signed up please take the first step by joining as members to one or more organizations. Volunteering, or at minimum make donations to the equipment already preserved. The sooner these cars can be restored, the sooner efforts can focus on acquiring other equipment to restore for preservation.