Railroad Forums 

• Mail by Rail -- Amtrak Postal Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1547145  by R36 Combine Coach

gokeefe wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:27 pm On high frequency corridors Amtrak would
have a tremendous advantage over other services for certain zip code pairings. Imagine for
example Express Mail ("Priority Mail Express" !!) from Hartford to New York City. Has to get
there "next day". Why bother with aircargo when you could dispatch via Amtrak?? As long as
you're dealing with small packages or letter envelopes you don't need specialized handling
facilities. Just a van and a person to pick it up at the platform.
Greyhound already does this (next bus or same day) with GPX (Greyhound Package Express).
 #1547180  by Tadman

gokeefe wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:27 pm Go ahead and try and think of a faster or cheaper way to get an Express Mail package or envelope to Exeter, NH from Boston or Portland that doesn't involve using a courier or a special trip.
It's not the speed that's the problem. It's the service aspect. First mile and last mile are tough, getting USPS to the train on time is even tougher, and having Amtrak personnel and systems in place to adequately manage and track the operation is going to be impossible.

Not that an innovative company couldn't do it, but a government carrier that can barely make a sandwich for $10 in a microwave just doesn't have the mindset to do it. It's the same as interline ticketing with Metra or Flyaway bus. Yeah, you could easily do it, but try convincing the powers-that-be to do so. "It will never work" "We tried that once in 1983 and it was a disaster" "Why would you want to do that"....
 #1547208  by David Benton

I would think Amtrak would be the "wholesaler", provide the train , lockers , access etc. The courier firms etc provide the tracking and final customer service etc. Except where Amtrak already . or wants to expand its own baggage / express offerings. There it could operate as the wholesaler , but also retail , in addition to the private offerings. It wouldn't really be competing , as its only offering station to station service.
 #1547229  by gokeefe

My thoughts as well David. Amtrak doesn't track the package they just provide the space.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1561785  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 pm There's a Mail/Express platform at NY Penn,under the Farley building,however doubles as access
leads for the NJT stub tracks at Penn.
I know about the Farley platforms, but were there also the same at PHL 30 Street (under the post office building)>

Browsing an aerial of the U.S. Post Office and
Court House in Pittsburgh (left) suggest there could been a direct loading platform underneath,
with a much clearer Streetview.
 #1561806  by STrRedWolf

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:32 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 pm There's a Mail/Express platform at NY Penn,under the Farley building,however doubles as access
leads for the NJT stub tracks at Penn.
I know about the Farley platforms, but were there also the same at PHL 30 Street (under the post office building)>

Browsing an aerial of the U.S. Post Office and
Court House in Pittsburgh (left) suggest there could been a direct loading platform underneath,
with a much clearer Streetview.
That track you saw? It's the Pittsburgh "T" light rail transit track at Pennsylvanian gauge. If you go further up, you'll see the station itself. There's no connection between the two, as there's a busway there blocking it. There is NO tracks crossing over that busway and none extending past the station to connect to the main line... and even then, it's the wrong gauge.
 #1561836  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:28 pm Unrelated, but it's a shame that the busway wasn't converted to a transit way, with the light rail also running up it.
There's a passenger demand.
True, true... but we'll have the Pittsburgh Light Rail thread.
 #1561840  by urr304

Just an aside, about 16 months ago, my wife and I were driving through downtown Pittsburgh and I took a right at the station too soon and found myself starting up the busway. Got turned around real quick, goo thing it was a Saturday night.

Anyway, resurrecting the RPO and Railway Express is a little impractical now, the world has changed a lot since the late 1960s. I actually used the RPO on E-L Trains 3&4 [non-passenger versions of old 7&8], I posted mail a number of times to the RPO clerk before they were taken off. Even the airmail to be dropped off in Youngstown to be forwarded to the Municipal Airport went via RPO.

Amtrak did try to run the mail in storage cars and roadrailers twenty years ago, but there were mixed results along with train handling questions and the transferring to the mail facilities which generally are not in center cities any longer. There was also the objections of the freight rr's to crossing into their domain and they had some legal points.

Is Amtrak still doing any Package Express? I thought they were suspending that because of the costs of handling. If you go back, the railroads got out of LCL just about as much as costs even on heavy traffic routes as much as truck competition. The Operating Ratios for LCL were worse than passengers. I believe they handed that traffic off to forwarders and just ran the cars expediously.