Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1503291  by lvrr325

I didn't want to sit and read back through the entire thread as far as what went where. As noted the FA went on it's own wheels. IIRC a caboose and possibly a boxcar were trucked out relatively recently, there was some question on permits and ownership but they're gone now.
 #1503356  by scottychaos

The D&H caboose that was at Colonie was said to be No. 35706.
Notations in older threads/posts say it was going to the Upper Hudson River RR..
dont know if it actually made it there or not.. google isnt helping me find out right now.

Scot
 #1503358  by scottychaos

More on the caboose, from old posts in this thread:

Sun Mar 10, 2013
jakirk wrote:I drove by Colonie today, and the caboose and boxcar in the deadline are gone. I don't know if they were saved or scrapped.
Tue Mar 12, 2013
traingeek8223 wrote:Boxcar is said to be going somewhere to be used as storage. No word on the caboose. Both were trucked off site and not scrapped. This info from local railfan observations.
Mon Apr 15, 2013
RussNelson wrote:I know where the caboose, boxcar, and shop trucks went. I won't say, but trust me that they're in good hands, and are MUCH more likely to be restored now.
And thats it..there were some more posts about who removed the boxcar and caboose (the person was never named, but some people in this thread know who he is. (I dont))
But after those posts from 2013, there have been no more updates about where the caboose and boxcar actually went..

Scot
 #1505503  by RussNelson

BR&P wrote:2013? One would think that after 6 years, the need for secrecy would be long past.
Depends on who might care. Possession is 9/10ths of the law, but that sticky 1/10th could mean trouble. The caboose went to someone who does fine wood-work and loves trains. I haven't been back there since, but I have no doubt that they have gone to a better place than the D&H yard.
 #1507118  by Engineer Spike

All remaining equipment at Colonie has been cut up as of a month or so ago. First they had asbestos removal people there. Sometime a while ago the ex Albany Port switcher and the B&M (ed D&H) disappeared. The final project scrapped the D&H streamlined coach, the arched roof, and the stainless sleeper. The Port RS3 and the S1, which was north of the 155 bridge were all cut up.
 #1507125  by lvrr325

Previously posted in this thread:
scottychaos wrote:Post on Facebook today, with a photo. The Alco RS3 and all but one of the passenger cars at Colonie are now scrapped. One passenger car remains, on its side. Will also be scrapped within the next day or two.

Scot
 #1560628  by Sir Ray

Sorry, nothing concerning the deposition of any equipment movement at Glenmont, however today I came across this 'urbex' style video tour of the equipment at Glenmont (oh, sorry, "Undisclosed Location" ). The videographer points out various stolen items like Builders' plates and so on.
Posted like 9 months ago on 15 May 2020, so some of you likely have already seen it, but I figured it belonged on this thread.
Abandoned New York Central Locomotives in New York
 #1561763  by nessman

Comment in the discussion part of the guy's Youtube profile...

"The New York Central Historical Society are very aware of them and stay in contact with the current owner, Danbury Railroad Museum. The Port of Albany is supposed to be redeveloping the waterfront area where these are, and their "rescue" and transport to the Museum has been worked out. The process is waiting for the Port to start the redevelopment work to free them."

The only way those things are leaving are in pieces in the back of a scrap hauler's truck.
 #1561804  by charlie6017

nessman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 am Video is absolutely awful.... shaky handheld footage as he walks and pokes around. No wonder he disabled the comments.
Jesus, that was unwatchable. I thought I was watching NYPD Blue on steroids. Yes, it'll leave in chunks and eventually we'll be shaving with the razor blades made from the scrap.
 #1561807  by BR&P

I made it about 2 minutes in, and started feeling seasick from the camera motion. Reminds me of when we facetime our 5 year old granddaughter and she's holding the phone while on a sugar high! :P

OK, I see the thread started in 2007. No way am I going back through 37 PAGES to get the whole picture. And I can't be the only one who is interested but does not have the details. Can somebody please summarize what pieces of equipment are there, who owns them, and indicate whether ANY of them might be worth saving?
 #1561843  by charlie6017

thebigham wrote: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:55 pm For review, these are the items left:

ALCO S-1 X-LIRR 417:2
ALCO RS-3 x-D&H 4082 painted for Albany Port # 2
ALCO S-2 x-D&H Painted for APR # 1
NYC Passenger car "Rapid Stream" minus trucks
NYC Baggage Car
D&H "Worlds Fair " passenger car
D&H passenger coach
Hey DRB, here is a list as of some time in 2014 (page 31). Not sure what's happened in the years since or what condition they're in.
 #1561845  by nessman

charlie6017 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 pm
thebigham wrote: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:55 pm For review, these are the items left:

ALCO S-1 X-LIRR 417:2
ALCO RS-3 x-D&H 4082 painted for Albany Port # 2
ALCO S-2 x-D&H Painted for APR # 1
NYC Passenger car "Rapid Stream" minus trucks
NYC Baggage Car
D&H "Worlds Fair " passenger car
D&H passenger coach
Hey DRB, here is a list as of some time in 2014 (page 31). Not sure what's happened in the years since or what condition they're in.
That's all the stuff that was at Colonie... it's all gone, most of it was scrapped I believe.
 #1561859  by BR&P

nessman wrote:
That's all the stuff that was at Colonie... it's all gone, most of it was scrapped I believe.
I do remember hearing most (all?) of what was at that location was scrapped. And it looks like the video was of a Conrail U25B, another RS3, and that's as far as I watched. Isn't this location where they had to fix a culvert or bridge to put something in or out?

I've got to give credit to the Rochester group. You go across the state and there are SO many organizations with good intentions but unable, for whatever reasons, to even maintain static displays, much less operate actual rides. (the Catskill and D&U groups being an exception, probably others). Preservation is never easy but at least those guys (and gals) are making things work. Too bad such operations are so complicated and expensive, it's a shame to see equipment cut up but that's reality.