Railroad Forums 

• Another piece of the Hojack is gone

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1560680  by charlie6017

The tiny double girder span over the driveway at 400 Lake Rd (at "Oklahoma Beach" a bit west of Bay Rd. Webster) is now gone. The location is being excavated/opened up. I can understand why and maybe it wasn't far from falling down, but another tiny piece of the "Old Hojack" is gone.

(My photo - December 2018)
Attachments:
Overpass east of Rock Beach.JPG
Overpass east of Rock Beach.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2285 times
 #1560702  by BR&P

Well that bites, although it survived about 42 (?) years after the trains stopped running so I guess we all had a chance to see it. The bridge gave the house a cool, almost European look - you expect to see James Bond come speeding through there! :wink: On the other hand it must have been a royal PITA if some big delivery truck had to get in.
 #1560745  by SST

I would have loved to have that in my back yard. I agree, sad to see it go.

It does look kinda tough to get large vehicles in and out especially if they are towing something.

Along the WSRR in Clarence there is remains of a mill next to the ASA Ransom House. A few years ago I rode my bike into the private driveway and the remains makes the Hojack bridge look brand new.
 #1560785  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:31 am The bridge gave the house a cool, almost European look - you expect to see James Bond come speeding through there! :wink:
I love Photoshop, and clearly have too much time on my hands. :P
Attachments:
Overpass east of Rock Beach - 007.JPG
Overpass east of Rock Beach - 007.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 2054 times
 #1560799  by BR&P

charlie6017 wrote:I love Photoshop, and clearly have too much time on my hands. :P
With the lockdown, many of us have too much time on our hands, Charlie. Perhaps a little levity will brighten our day.

Mr. Bond is no doubt after that evil villain Hojack. That estate he's leaving is far from Rome, but may be near Greece. Hojack has a captive, the gorgeous Charlotte, and dude, his mind is on Ransom-ville. If Bond can rescue her, her rich father, Burt Walker, will reward him with many pounds Sterling. Complicating matters is Hojack's mistress Elberta, who is leading Bond on a wild goose chase to Mexico. Bond has been enjoying the Sea Breeze, observing ships arriving at the Water Port. To help himself plot the rescue Bond constructs a small Model City. He will bring a dog (named Hannibal). While Hojack's men are distracted by the Barker, Bond will just Walker out of there. Afterward they will enjoy an intimate moment warmed by a Furniss, and since she does not like martinis they will enjoy a couple Sodus - gently stirred, not shaken. Bond will present her with that famous flower, the North Rose. The small spark will Kendall a hot romance, and they will return to Bond's estate in Kent. :-D
 #1560812  by SST

I'll place my bets on Bond having Plenty O'tool to handle the situation.

I tried to get her picture copied onto this post but nothing worked other than a link which I didn't bother with. Why won't his site accept a copy/paste from Google pics?
 #1560870  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:58 am
charlie6017 wrote:I love Photoshop, and clearly have too much time on my hands. :P
With the lockdown, many of us have too much time on our hands, Charlie. Perhaps a little levity will brighten our day.

Mr. Bond is no doubt after that evil villain Hojack. That estate he's leaving is far from Rome, but may be near Greece. Hojack has a captive, the gorgeous Charlotte, and dude, his mind is on Ransom-ville. If Bond can rescue her, her rich father, Burt Walker, will reward him with many pounds Sterling. Complicating matters is Hojack's mistress Elberta, who is leading Bond on a wild goose chase to Mexico. Bond has been enjoying the Sea Breeze, observing ships arriving at the Water Port. To help himself plot the rescue Bond constructs a small Model City. He will bring a dog (named Hannibal). While Hojack's men are distracted by the Barker, Bond will just Walker out of there. Afterward they will enjoy an intimate moment warmed by a Furniss, and since she does not like martinis they will enjoy a couple Sodus - gently stirred, not shaken. Bond will present her with that famous flower, the North Rose. The small spark will Kendall a hot romance, and they will return to Bond's estate in Kent. :-D
That was excellent, Don! You should consider writing a novel. :-D
 #1561758  by charlie6017

nessman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 am Did you get a picture of what it looks like now?
I did not, but I plan to go back down there in the next day or two and take one. I'll make sure I post it.
 #1561794  by Fireman43

Indeed - another Hojack nugget gone - a 'shoulda' visited it location.
Brings up another 'bridge' I had read about a few years ago- and missed- was a concrete pedestrian underpass at Duran Eastman Park that allowed people to get to the beach by going under the Hojack.
Nice description by a local author online but alas no picture!!!!!!!!. Apparently removed in the mid 1990's.
Mark
 #1561828  by Scott K

That pedestrian underpass was removed along with all of the elevated roadbed along the whole length of the beach. It was behind the old bathhouse originally, and was the main access to the beach in the old days. There are a number of pictures of the bathhouse and the underpass here;
https://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/ ... ath-house/

Scott
 #1561897  by charlie6017

**UPDATE** 1/26/21 - Well, I really whiffed on this one. Back on January 8, I mistook a different residence for the one in my original post. I am happy to report this little overpass is still in place. My apologies for this "fake news". Somehow I mixed things up. Feel free to throw tomatoes at me, because I deserve it. 🍅

The photo below was taken this afternoon. I'll be fifty in a couple months, so I am going to blame this gaffe on middle age. But at least it's good news! This piece of the Hojack is still in place! 🤪

Charlie
Attachments:
IMG_20210126_150926859_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210126_150926859_HDR.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1526 times
 #1561902  by BR&P

No problem! I hope you are just as mistaken about Russell Station no longer getting unit trains of coal, the swing bridge being removed and a few other such things! :-D
 #1561906  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:33 pm No problem! I hope you are just as mistaken about Russell Station no longer getting unit trains of coal, the swing bridge being removed and a few other such things! :-D
Me too! Maybe I'll discover the "West Hojack" is still in place and traffic is still running to/from Model City". :P