Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1561583  by Tanker1497

NJTMonmouthCoastline wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 pm
Tanker1497 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:59 pm I went by Cross St. at 9:45 am and saw 5 railroad trucks parked and several SUV POV's and all were walking the run around and main. Not sure who they were?
Should be Conrail workers. They were supposed to get a crane
Why would they need a crane again? Lots of suits got out of SUV's!
 #1561600  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Suits? Probably the locals then. The wreck got lots of attention from what I could tell.

The crane work was done the night after the wreck so any work done afterwards was probably to make sure the cars could be moved safely.

The damaged boxcar should be sitting In Woodhaven now. Not sure if they will work on it there.
 #1561607  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL if it was management then hopefully this is the wake up call for them to get their act together.

To me, “Suits” in Lakewood is generally a sign of the locals. The locals tend to wear very well-to-do clothing.
 #1561613  by CJPat

@CharlieL if it was management then hopefully this is the wake up call for them to get their act together.
Have we figured this to be anything more than overshooting the end of track? By descriptions provided here, the boxcar and centerbeam were pushed thru the car stops which then did it's job to derail the cars. Isn't that how they are supposed to work?

This does not sound like anything to "get there act together over" or a statement about track quality. Or am I missing something?
 #1561617  by Bracdude181

@CJPat there were no car stops on the night of the crash. They put ties on the track after the crash, but that’s it.

Gee, maybe it wouldn’t have happened at all if they kept another 500 feet of track open? Or use the large siding in Lakehurst to turn trains around?

But why would they do that when they could save money by cutting it off at Milepost 61 and forcing crews to figure out how to turn around 18 car trains there? Nevermind all the trouble it causes to crews and all the traffic backups it causes.

Sure SA38 screwed up, but it probably wouldn’t have happened if Conrail had spent just a little more money to keep enough track open for them to fit the whole train down there properly. Then they could have fit the entire train down there with room to spare, decreasing the chances of an accident. But no, you can only fit 8 cars down there. What if you have more than 16 cars? Gooooood luck!!

Conrail North Jersey is a complete and utter joke. If someone who actually cared or knew what they were doing was calling the shots in North Jersey this line would never have been as bad as it is now.
 #1561628  by Tanker1497

CharlieL wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:20 pm The use of the word "suits" generally means management type people.
Looked to me like the conrail employee's were giving a tour of the incident? It wasn't local black suits. Was hard to tell just who they were from the distance I was.
 #1561629  by Tanker1497

What's going through my mine is, while this seems to be just too many cars not enought space...oops!
One has to think just how much this whole ordeal will cost? Two big Cranes at a moments notice for hours all at an OT rate$ Damage to at least one car.
And how much revenue comes from Woodhaven. That has always eluded me! Do they get charged $250 to deliver a car or $2000? Because that little oops can't come cheap!
Someone fill in the blanks... cause its all about money in the end.
 #1561631  by CSX4421

Not sure if anyone knows yet, but the train is headed back to browns today. Theyre just outside farmingdale
 #1561634  by CSX4421

They never came back yesterday. Also one of my friends was also in farmingdale seeing it go through there
 #1561637  by Bracdude181

If they ran today, then where are they? Nobody else has heard or seen this train, and I can’t pick up Coast Line Dispatch from my house as I live too far from the antenna for it.

Edit: @CSX4421 how many cars did they have?
 #1561640  by Bracdude181

Did anyone hear a Conrail symbol calling into Coast Line Dispatch? They usually get to Red Bank around this time on a Friday night run...
 #1561642  by CSX4421

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:51 pm Did anyone hear a Conrail symbol calling into Coast Line Dispatch? They usually get to Red Bank around this time on a Friday night run...
They were in Red Bank around 5:45. I heard them passing my area a little bit ago. Not sure how many cars they had