Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1560783  by rr503

Not sure if this is a known quantity, but does anyone have insight into the traffic composition of SU-99/100? How much of it is NYSW-originated or terminated stuff moving to CSX or NS in Bingo/Syracuse vs overhead. I'd assume the former is overwhelmingly dominant (why would those two turn over carloads they don't have to), but I have no insight into the matter.
 #1561593  by oibu

I have no reason to believe that on a normal basis outside of detour trains, that there is any traffic not originated/terminated on NYS&W moving via NYS&W trains. As you surmised, there is no reason. It would be nice if there was a justification for CSX or NS to bridge traffic to NJ via NYSW as it would be good for NYS&W and good for us as fans (more/bigger trains), but alas there isn't justification. The entire existence of NYS&W today as anything more than a local shortline or NS/CSX branches is because of the deal that was created as part of the CR split which guarantees NYS&W can still exist but can never thrive because it is landlocked. Even before NS tanked the D&H, NYS&W was prohibited by this agreement from interchanging with CP... "paper barriers" ensured that NYS&W could support itself but could never compete with NS or CSX. All things considered, NYS&W could have been hurt a lot more without this arrangement (i.e., NS and CSX could just move all the NJ traffic to NJ themselves), but it also keeps the company's hands tied against any access to any traffic that is not internally generated or terminated by NYS&W.
 #1561615  by SecaucusJunction

I was once told that the NYSW was actually allowed to interchange with CP provided it is for its own online business. The benefit from locating a business on the NYSW was that they could receive quotes from all 3 railroads.

Nonetheless yes, there is no overhead bridge traffic on the NYSW and there hasn’t been for a long time. The class 1s have made so many cuts that they have plenty of room on their own rails. The only hope for the railroads, especially in the East is some sort of merger with a western or Canadian road. I still wish CP had taken over NS when they had the chance.
 #1562464  by oibu

You may be correct on the terms allowing for NYS&W to have interchanged for local traffic only.

of coruse since 2015 even that is a moot point unfortunately.
 #1563720  by RMB357

I have read that NS is attempting to deactivate the signal system on the Sunbury line and / or other parts of the D&H due to lack of traffic and no future traffic envisioned. I predict NS will eventually attempt to sell the D&H and possibly their operations in NYS east of Buffalo. Not the NS of Wick Moorman anymore.
 #1563823  by Shortline614

I don't think that NS will sell the Deleware & Hudson and the Southern Tier. Going forward I think those lines will become a lot like the CSX ex-Monon line or the UP Oklahoma-Kansas-Texas line. Not all that important, but at the same time just important enough to keep around. I guess a lot of what goes on with the Tier depends on what happens with the CSX acquisition of Pan Am.
 #1581720  by D45 CRTe LE

Hello all,

I will be in the vicinity of the NS southern tier line quite soon, and I would want to railfan.

I know that lots of Norfolk Southern trains run through Binghamton and then up via the former Delaware and Hudson line to the Albany area. However, I won’t be in that area, so I was wondering if there are any trains that continue on the southern tier line past Binghamton, in the direction of Port Jervis. I am fairly sure that the NYSW operates a few trains through there, but I am not sure, and I don’t know about rough schedules, so if anybody could give any info on those trains or other trains along the same route, it would be much appreciated. thank you!
 #1581751  by johnpbarlow

"...lots of Norfolk Southern trains run through Binghamton..." is being generous as on a daily basis there are 4 road trains west of Binghamton, 4 road trains south of Binghamton, and 6 road trains north of Binghamton. East of Binghamton on the ex-Erie Central New York line to Port Jervis there are zero NS trains of any sort - this line sees 6 NYS&W road trains per week generally running at night, if I understand Susquehanna's operations.
 #1582093  by SecaucusJunction

I believe they are down to twice a week now. South of Binghamton is down to 2 per day to Harrisburg.

Sad times all over NS
 #1582182  by johnpbarlow

In my earlier response, I should have been more precise about the road train count south of Binghamton: in addition to the 11Z/12Z trains operating to/from Knoxville TN (via Harrisburg), there is a Binghamton - Scranton turn that from a symbol point of view is a local but from from a consist point of view appears to be two good sized "road" freights conveying quite a few double stack wells and other general freight to/from the Scranton area customers and DL interchange.
 #1582340  by Matt Langworthy

johnpbarlow wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:08 am "...lots of Norfolk Southern trains run through Binghamton..." is being generous as on a daily basis there are 4 road trains west of Binghamton, 4 road trains south of Binghamton, and 6 road trains north of Binghamton. East of Binghamton on the ex-Erie Central New York line to Port Jervis there are zero NS trains of any sort - this line sees 6 NYS&W road trains per week generally running at night, if I understand Susquehanna's operations.

Minor correction: 6 trains west of Bingo now because 36T and 37T are back on the schedule (for now)