Railroad Forums 

• Old Rockaway Beach Relics Removed In Forest Park

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1561568  by interface76

I was walking around Forest Park the other day like I'd done for a few years now, and happened to notice while crossing over "The Rock" near the football fields/track, that a lot of the old classic wire towers along the line were removed within the park boundaries. At least as far I was able to see up and down the old line, anyway - hopefully if I can, I'll hike the old ROW a bit to see how many.

Granted, they were rusty and were probably hazardous. Just hope something bad didn't happen to cause them to be removed.

I know when I walked up and down the ROW within the park in late summer early fall they were all there...
 #1561708  by newkirk

I am looking for a map of the Rockaway Division from White Pot Jct to Ozone Park.
Early 20th century to 1940's, showing stations, sidings, spurs, cross streets etc.
Your help would be appreciated.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (April 1989)

#1561711  by GojiMet86

newkirk wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm I am looking for a map of the Rockaway Division from White Pot Jct to Ozone Park.
Early 20th century to 1940's, showing stations, sidings, spurs, cross streets etc.
Your help would be appreciated.
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/rockaw ... branch.htm

Can't post the images here for some reason, but there are some diagrams and track maps there.
 #1561789  by newkirk

Backshophoss wrote: The towers were not tended to after abandonment, may have become hazards due to rusting out of parts in the towers structure.
Toppled signal due to being rusted out ?

#1561903  by DogBert

Many of them through forest park were already toppled over. Were there any signs that they were fully removed? (foundations pulled out, truck or heavy equipment tracks in the dirt?)

NYC Parks dept can barely maintain their parks on a whole. I'd be surprised if this was an official clean up effort.