Railroad Forums 

• Double-stack trash

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1560699  by rb

I'm intrigued by this new business after seeing a few videos of the cars around Ayer. Does anyone know a) where the containers are loaded; b) which yard is used to put the containers in well cars? Thanks!
 #1560703  by johnpbarlow

The double-stacked Maersk open-top international containers used for trash are placed into/removed from the well cars at what used to be CSX leased yard for unloading Fords at the end of Berkshire Boulevard on the west side of Willow Rd. The trash is taken by PAS to NS interchange at Mechanicville and NS hauls it to an Alabama landfill.
 #1560705  by Plate C

Seems like a good enough place to ask. Not sure if related but was wondering about those blue trash containers that started showing up in the past year or so. Was wondering where they originate/terminate and if they're separate from or related to the same type of blue containers that CSX has been moving. I know CSX takes some of them to Springfield along 291 but I thought I saw where some are left for PAR pick up in Springfield. I noticed the ones on PAS are in well cars while the ones on CSX are not.
 #1560706  by johnpbarlow

I believe the large blue containers shipped in well cars are loaded at Devens Recyclying on the west side of Hill Yard at Ayer.
 #1560713  by MRY

Devens Recycling is/was C+D waste which is loaded in open top gons. However they have been owned by Republic for about a year now, so that might have changed.
 #1560714  by rb

Thanks for the speedy responses, guys! It's interesting to see the different equipment being used.

Here in NYC, the city uses 3 fleets of 20x8x12 containers to move MSW out by rail. There are 5 rail transloads in the city itself (including Howland Hook) and the rest is barged to NJ for transload.

But the commercial trash haulers in the area (including LI) haven't figured out how to rail MSW out, just tons of C&D.
 #1560715  by roberttosh

Does CSX move the Devons Recycling traffic from Ayer via Barbers or Rotterdam? Either way am assuming that PAS shows in the route.
 #1560761  by Jedijk88

The blue ones come out of Holyoke as well, transloaded by Republic Services of Chicopee
I believe the Holyoke operation is all done since Republic in Springfield now has rail.
 #1560873  by neman2

I have been getting radio transmissions on yard channel (161.40) in the Ayer area mentioning "Arrowhead". I assume this is the new name for what used to be called "the Ford plant" where the containers are loaded.
 #1560915  by newpylong

roberttosh wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:01 am Does CSX move the Devons Recycling traffic from Ayer via Barbers or Rotterdam? Either way am assuming that PAS shows in the route.
At least some go via the West End.
 #1561427  by troffey

Isn't Rotterdam a PAS interchange and Barbers a PAR interchange? If Devens Recycling is a PAS customer, that would make going through Worcester a three railroad route.