Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1561399  by MEC407

Thanks, PBM!
 #1561402  by roberttosh

The Asphalt company and some warehouses at Bangor, Feed and fertilizer plants at Detroit, Steel and grain customers at Augusta, Dead River at Westbrook, lumber and warehouse customers just south Rigby.
 #1561414  by J.D. Lang

I think that it's hard to tell. They still have quite a few small companies in Eastern/S. Eastern Mass. that are served by their locals out of that area. Many thought (me included) that they would sell those off to a shortline but it hasn't happened yet. I suppose that if the metrics to serve a particular customer doesn't meet their OR than they could increase their charges and see if that customer would take it or walk away.
 #1561417  by Red Wing

I wonder if any Companies might come back once the service provider changes? The one that comes to mind is the Erving Paper Mill would come back in Erving, MA? I remember they said they would never use Guilford again.
 #1561420  by markhb

Is Grimmel, off the Lewiston Lower in Topsham, still shipping anything? One of their employees actually posted here for a while a few years ago.
 #1561428  by MEC407

I thought Sappi Westbrook wasn't sending or receiving anything by rail anymore (especially in light of their recent downsizing of operations there).
 #1561432  by newpylong

markhb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 pm Is Grimmel, off the Lewiston Lower in Topsham, still shipping anything? One of their employees actually posted here for a while a few years ago.
It's been a long time since they've gotten cars.
 #1561433  by newpylong

MEC407 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:41 pm I thought Sappi Westbrook wasn't sending or receiving anything by rail anymore (especially in light of their recent downsizing of operations there).
They havent shipped outbound in decades and I'm fairly sure they are still getting a few cars of slurpy at a time for the paper coating which wasn't shutdown. Someone local can confirm though.
 #1561435  by Cosakita18

That article seems to pin a lot of concern on impacts to Downeaster OTP. Personally it's hard for me to imagine that overall number of daily roadfreights on the current D2 would be any more than at present. With PSR I wouldn't be surprised if CSX combined all traffic to and from Rigby into a single daily manifest pair and then potentially a daily or nearly-daily intermodal pair. If anything CSX could be a better trackmate than PAR...which has a tendency to can trains on passing sidings.
 #1561436  by Cosakita18

newpylong wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:43 pm They havent shipped outbound in decades and I'm fairly sure they are still getting a few cars of slurpy at a time for the paper coating which wasn't shutdown. Someone local can confirm though.
I saw a single slurry tank on a mountain branch local a few weeks ago. Sappi must still be taking loads...just very low volume.
 #1561442  by MaineCentral252

newpylong wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:43 pm They havent shipped outbound in decades and I'm fairly sure they are still getting a few cars of slurpy at a time for the paper coating which wasn't shutdown. Someone local can confirm though.
Last I knew they were still getting slurry loads here and there. Outbound has been a service issue, especially with a higher value, lower volume product than other mills. However, as the majority of their product is exported, it would lend itself quite well to intermodal.
 #1561456  by CN9634

Cosakita18 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:58 pm I saw a single slurry tank on a mountain branch local a few weeks ago. Sappi must still be taking loads...just very low volume.
Was said slurry car between a locomotive and LPG tanks by chance?
 #1561458  by Gilbert B Norman

Is it fair to ask; just how interested is Chessie to be with these "a car here, a car there" kind of shipper?

Those are the kind of shippers that have given life to the Short Line segment of the industry, but "not exactly" to the Class I's.

Now as Mr. Cosakita notes, Chessie just might try and go for "one a day" South out of Rigby. Wow, look at how much more of the FRA Class 4 maintenance she could dump off on the NNEPRA and MBTA.