Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#760706  by Tadman

While I respect the business acumen of Mr. Norman, I must remind us of "res judicata". When a case is finally closed with no appeal available and the time has run out for prosecution of any other related action - these limits are all statutory - the case cannot be reopened. It's a great idea that keeps someone from continually causing another legal troubles after an issue has been solved to the best the court can solve the issue. In this case, I believe this case has hit res judicata and wish as you might , no other result can happen.
 #760757  by 3rdrail

Tadman wrote:While I respect the business acumen of Mr. Norman, I must remind us of "res judicata". When a case is finally closed with no appeal available and the time has run out for prosecution of any other related action - these limits are all statutory - the case cannot be reopened. It's a great idea that keeps someone from continually causing another legal troubles after an issue has been solved to the best the court can solve the issue. In this case, I believe this case has hit res judicata and wish as you might , no other result can happen.
Well said and very true !
 #760858  by Gilbert B Norman

justalurker66 wrote:So apparently the impairment did not stop her from performing? Interesting.

Perhaps every time she performs she should give some of the money back? :-D
May I note that I believe the imediate comments made by Messrs. Dunville and Joyce are prompted by this posting that is evidently not mine.
 #761070  by justalurker66

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:So apparently the impairment did not stop her from performing? Interesting.

Perhaps every time she performs she should give some of the money back? :-D
May I note that I believe the imediate comments made by Messrs. Dunville and Joyce are prompted by this posting that is evidently not mine.
I agree, there seems to be some confusion among them as to who said what.
BTW: I was not suggesting that the court *take* the money back, nor that Metra should try to claim it. Perhaps those who are confused should seek the meaning of the word "give"?
 #761096  by 3rdrail

No confusion here. In my opinion, Tadman's excellent post sums up this entire thread, originally aired by Gilbert, and not just a recent post. I would be surprised if the same were not true of Tadman as well. Having said that, I personally like Gilbert and usually find his posts fun to read and well thought out. I also have noted a sense of humanity in his most recent posts on this subject, which I believe to be the "real Gilbert". I hope that this does not come accross as patronization, but I sense that had Gilbert been physically present at this event that he would have been horrified, sympathetic, and probably would have taken positive action on the side of what was the right thing to do. Any man who enjoys classical violin with an intellect as he posseses would do no other.
 #1561330  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I was reading the Chicago Sun-Times Friday January 15 and noticed an article that caught my eye:
A violin concert by a solo artist named Rachel Barton-Pine. I remembered that there was a past topic about a
female violinist that was severely injured in an accident involving a Metra train some years back - and this topic
was under a title that would make this subject harder to find looking through the Chicagoland archive pages...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/1/15/ ... t-concerto

This was the same person that GBN had started this earlier topic about - "Passed Without Comment" made this
subject title not able to be found unless I had either the correct name or the exact topic to search by so I started
looking at the archive pages one by one until I found this topic and read the content.

11 years later Rachel Barton-Pine looks to have come a long way to recover from her injuries to her legs.
Losing the ability to walk is tough enough remembering what she suffered through...

I am not going to comment further about the incident involving Metra or on anything else about these injuries.
This was simply a tragic chain of events looking back that we all wished had not occurred...MACTRAXX