Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1561337  by Bracdude181

Hey guys, here’s an update on the South Lakewood derailment as it looked yesterday.

Both cars are back on the track but the boxcar appears to be damaged. One of the brake beams was ripped off and parts of the brake system are dangling from the bottom. The foliage near the centerbeam was too thick so I couldn’t get pictures of it.

The roadbed and the nearby foliage was also damaged. Trees were knocked down and some ties were damaged.

Here’s some pictures I took. The damage is about 100 feet or so south of Milepost 61.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qJNbq5c9eNiUr1wF8
 #1561360  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Thanks and your welcome. I’ll do my best to keep the updates coming. Fortunately I’m an avid chaser of this lines one weekly train which does help update-wise. One thing I’ve noticed is that there’s construction markings along the line almost everywhere now. I’m wondering/hoping if there’s a major improvement project in the works...
 #1561376  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181, Been follow this line since 1977 when I was first able to drive and lived in Pt Pleasant, but was at Bay Head yard all the time.
I've been less than 7 minutes away from this incident location since 1992. I'm just never thought to take pictures back than.
 #1561387  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 This line was so much better in the 70s.

Incidentally my friend also didn’t start filming what he caught until 2007. Prior to that point he photographed everything with those disposable Kodak cameras that could be found everywhere in the 90s and early 2000s.

One of these days I really should put all those pictures on here. Not many people around during 2007 so he filmed the stuff that not many people got to see. He even caught them drilling Dinaso Lumber while they were still at their location on Oak Glen Rd!
 #1561389  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 The boxcar is damaged and will need to be repaired. Not sure about the centerbeam.

If they are working on the track they pray they are re-installing the rail they removed. That being said the tracks themselves were damaged, so they might just be fixing the damaged part.

Edit: My friend and I will go check.
 #1561409  by Bracdude181

Derailment update as of 1/19/2021

Conrail has placed two ties at the end of the track where the derailment happened.

The centerbeam looks okay but it has a “BAD ORDER” sign on it noting the derailment. No damage from what I can tell.

The boxcar is badly damaged. One brake beam has been ripped off, the frame and body appears to be bent, the brake system is dangling under the car and only the cylinder remains attached, the front coupler is damaged, and the front left of the car is covered in smeared-on dirt.

I do not know what they intend to do or how they will move the cars, or when they will move them.

Wondering if SA31 will turn around in downtown Lakewood this week...
 #1561419  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Browns Yard Roster as of 1/19/21

CSX 4451

CSX 4452

NS 5628

This is the first time this year that an NS engine is in Browns.

Keep in mind that it can’t lead coming down to the Southern due to PTC unless it has it.

It can do other jobs like Freehold, Dayton, etc.

5628 was in Port Reading prior
 #1561425  by Bracdude181

Not happy that 5628 is back. I like 6160!

At least it can’t come down here and torment us with its awfulness anymore.

Edit: Just remembered that NS can still come down as long as it doesn’t lead on the Coast Line. Ugh.
 #1561429  by Matt Johnson

Do they still normally run Wednesdays on the Freehold runs? (Seems there's no equivalent spotting info chatter here for the Freehold Secondary.)
 #1561527  by Bracdude181

Tonight should be interesting. The two cars are still sitting at Milepost 61 and I’m not sure if Conrail gave the go ahead to move them. Not sure if they can turn around at Cross Street either.

A turn around in Downtown Lakewood will be really interesting.
 #1561530  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:43 am Tonight should be interesting. The two cars are still sitting at Milepost 61 and I’m not sure if Conrail gave the go ahead to move them. Not sure if they can turn around at Cross Street either.

A turn around in Downtown Lakewood will be really interesting.
I can’t come out tonight but that would be interesting. Those two cars probably need to be scrapped on the spot