Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1560788  by mirrodie

New Kirk, thanks for posting those fantrip 80s Mangahas pics. Any more?
 #1560935  by newkirk

mirrodie wrote: New Kirk, thanks for posting those fantrip 80s pics. Any more?
Funny you should ask. All photos: Bill Mangahas (September 20, 1980)
#264 looking mighty nice !

Some roundhouse shots.

Truing out those wheel flats.

A couple of car interior overhauls.

Wide angle shop view.

M-1 truck.

Rebuilding a traction motor.

Some yard shots out back.
 #1560964  by jhdeasy

newkirk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:58 pm Some selected images from the Electric Railroaders Association tour of Morris Park shops .
All photos : Bill Mangahas (September 20, 1980)

I believe this was a parlor car that had its fluting removed and replaced with plate steel. Can anyone confirm what car this was ?

I agree. This would be the former 2000 AMAGANSETT (originally C&O 2502 TIDEWATER CLUB, later B&O 7500 NAPPANEE) which was converted to 2000 MORRIS PARK.

I rode it a few times on The Shelter Island Express in the early 1970s.

Pullman lightweight cars that were built with stainless steel fluting panels mounted over Corten alloy steel side sheets suffered from substantial corrosion. The eventual solution was to remove the stainless fluting panels, cut out the rotten alloy steel panels and install new side sheets. In addition,. those cars often required replacement of substantial amounts of the side sills.

The last time I saw this car, it was on the South Branch Valley RR rotting away on a siding in Romney WV. I've received a report that it was acquired by the Georges Creek Railway and relocated, but am unable to verify that to my satisfaction.

http://parlorcarseast.com/amagansett.html
 #1561055  by mirrodie

Fwiw, w-74 was staged on the Track alongside Atlantic ave for decades, for stores.

Odd numbering on 616.

New Kirk, loving it all! Great memories. Used to climb all that equipment as a kid.
 #1561307  by upton

Was this the Amagansett at the Westbound Sunday Shelter Island Express when I took this photo in the early 1970's?
Attachments:
SCAN0039 (4).JPG
SCAN0039 (4).JPG (320.24 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
 #1561412  by mjd13076

Outstanding photos, everyone!

A couple of questions...

1. There’s a few pics of a G5s #38 that looks as if it were on display. I thought only #’s 35 and 39 were set aside. Was 38 taken elsewhere or was it displayed on LI and then scrapped or sold or whatever?

2. The FA’s originally had a door on the front. Why did LIRR do away with those and what year did they begin sealing them up? I’m guessing they never had a use for the doors as they never connected them nose to nose... ?

Thanks in advance for your answers. Keep the great stuff coming!
 #1561413  by belpaire

When #39 was retired, it's keystone was given to Roy Campanella, who was 39 on the Brooklyn Dodgers. The LIRR replaced #39's missing keystone with the one from #38.
 #1561459  by newkirk

Someone asked about this unusual number on the FA's nose. If you look to the right you can see through the diesel.

Is this when the ALCO prime movers where replaced by sleds ? Maybe that odd number is the work order or build number.

#1561557  by newkirk

Since it's cold here in Long Island, let's go to the beach..................Long Beach !

#1561560  by newkirk

Ooops, hit the submit button by accident.

Photo: Douglas Grotjahn (April 20, 1969)

E.R.A. Fan Trip
Photo: Douglas Grotjahn (April 20, 1969)

Another E.R.A. Fan Trip
Photo: Steve Zabel (Nov 1, 1970)

Photo: Steve Zabel

Lead Bridge - Photos: Jay Bendersky (June 16, 1986)

There's a new bridge in town.
Photo: Jay Bendersky (April 27, 1988)

"Sandy Service" Photos: Bill Mangahas (Nov 12, 2012)

#1562160  by Teutobergerwald

I remember seeing a picture of L-2 #224 with hoppers loaded with ballast headed to Long Beach across the Wreck Lead Bridge in a calendar back in the mid-80s. It was a great picture.