Railroad Forums 

• Comparing UK to Amtrak's NEC

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1560648  by electricron

"Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains) operate a direct service to London Euston from Glasgow Central which takes just under 4.5 hours. London North Eastern Railway (LNER) run a slower service which takes around 6 hours. You can also travel on an indirect route, changing at Crewe, which takes around 5h 2m to reach London."

Because there are two different rail routes to make this trip, you get these data points on first glance with conflicting statements.
Fastest route: 4h 28m
Slowest route: 5h 58m
Average journey time: 5h 31m
Distance: 345 miles
Distance: 412 miles

Why did I suffer all these conflict data? Well, I was wanting to get the average speeds so I could compare UK average speeds to Amtrak average speeds over a relatively large distance.
So here's the math.
345/268 x 60 = 77.2 mph (UK)
423/358 x 60 = 70.9 mph (UK)

Amtrak NEC
"Acela covers the 225 miles between New York and Washington, D.C., in under 3 hours, and the 229 miles between New York and Boston in under 3.5 hours."
225/180 x 60 = 75 mph (NEC south)
229/210 x 60 = 64.3 mph (NEC north)
454/390 x 60 = 69.8 mph (NEC)

Amtrak's NEC compares fairly well with UK.