Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1559739  by backroadrails

Cosakita18 wrote:Northeast Agricultural in Detroit takes loads of feed and fertilizer if I'm not mistaken.

Also PS would count as a fairly major customer.
Northeast Ag takes fertilizer, and Feed Commodities (located on the same spur) receives feed. Pan Am also services a few warehouses (Galt Block received cars as of a few years ago) and the lumber mill at Enfield, and the chipper at Keag, although I think that is owned by the railroad.
 #1559744  by 690

Negative. And the date for the other haulage traffic going back to Pan Am keeps getting pushed back as well - we're being told it won't go until May now.

As for other existing customers, Pan Am also services Downeast Emulsions, which takes asphalt tanks, Galt Block as mentioned above (or whatever the actual name of the warehouse is nowadays). There had been talk of Pottles taking cars again recently, but as far as I know that hasn't taken place, and they also still have the siding into Lane's, although I highly doubt they will ever service them again, especially with Lanes adding more tracks on the CP side.
 #1559929  by KSmitty

ARC Steel in Kingfield is taking cars at Dixfield now. They relocated off the end of the Madison branch in North Anson.

Irving gets logs for the Dixfield sawmill, I think they are taking those up to the Rumford Mill yard, but they might be unloading in Dixfield now.
 #1560314  by KSmitty

That is an old Lousiana Pacific OSB(?) plant. Old being operative word. Shuttered for a decade +/-. The switches on both legs of the wye have been pulled, I believe when they did the trackwork after Woodland Pulp bought the railroad from Maine Central/PAR.
 #1560315  by wally

appears to have been shuttered prior to April 2005 (by LP)

railcars do show up in the 1997 image of the facility, but none after that.

as of 2019, there is some activity there again, judging by the log piles in the yard. appears to have begun in 2015, as 2014 images show some dismantling activity happening, and then logs appear in the yard in 2015 images, and continue to the latest images in 2019.
 #1560319  by roberttosh

Someone on one of the Canadian boards mentioned that there was another active customer North of the pulp mill so was thinking it must the old OSB mill. Maybe they just assumed it was rail served or maybe they've rebuilt tracks into the facility?