Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1560810  by NaugyRR

This came across my news feed this morning...

Fair Use:
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said on Sunday that the High Line will be extended to connect to the newly opened Moynihan Train Hall, a project that he said help spur development in the surrounding neighborhoods and boost an economy facing a deep crisis because of the pandemic.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/nyre ... -line.html

I think that's a good idea. Most of my trips to the city involve a walk on the High Line; it's an enjoyable, free attraction that offers interesting city views and to me is pleasant all around. Having it connect to the train hall seems like a no-brainer to me, especially in conjunction with the rest of the Hudson Yard development.
 #1560827  by J.D. Lang

I believe all Amtrak trains have moved their boarding's to Moynihan. Beautiful station from the vids I've watched.
 #1560832  by Pensyfan19

I´ve always wondered about the ¨diagonal platform¨ or ¨mail platform¨ adjacent to tracks 1 and 2 and due south of the edges of tracks 9 and 10. (the only platform on the image thatś black and curves) Is this platform still used, are there any photos of it, and can it be connected by Moynihan Station?

#1560840  by J.D. Lang

The lowest number tracks that are served by Moynihan are from the platform for tracks 5 & 6. When ever I've been down there to board a train the mail platform area tracks are usually a layup area for NJT. NJT is not served by Moynihan.
 #1560844  by Gilbert B Norman

Must wonder if the Amtrak cops are doing a "sweep" and find someone seated and holding an NJT ticket in the Amtrak/LIRR Hall, will they "run 'em out"?

They do that out here at CUS with METRA passengers.
 #1560863  by bostontrainguy

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:11 pm I´ve always wondered about the ¨diagonal platform¨ or ¨mail platform¨ adjacent to tracks 1 and 2 and due south of the edges of tracks 9 and 10. (the only platform on the image thatś black and curves) Is this platform still used, are there any photos of it, and can it be connected by Moynihan Station?
Doesn't look like it was that easy to get mail trains into or out of that platform.
 #1560925  by Ken W2KB

bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:07 pm
Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:11 pm I´ve always wondered about the ¨diagonal platform¨ or ¨mail platform¨ adjacent to tracks 1 and 2 and due south of the edges of tracks 9 and 10. (the only platform on the image thatś black and curves) Is this platform still used, are there any photos of it, and can it be connected by Moynihan Station?
Doesn't look like it was that easy to get mail trains into or out of that platform.
It probably was directly connected before the track reconfiguration when Amtrak moved from Grand Central Terminal and the Empire connection was built.
 #1560946  by Backshophoss

The Mail platform blocks the easy access to the tracks that NJT uses,might have been the place the "Exec Sleepers" was set up to be boarded
and easy switching,now useless except for construction staging at track level
 #1561094  by Gilbert B Norman

More favorable content appears in The Times today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/arts ... d=em-share

Fair Use:
The $1.6 billion Moynihan Train Hall opened at dawn on New Year’s morning — on budget, too, even a couple of months early. Instagram swooned. Tweeters channeled Stefon from “Saturday Night Live.”

In the midst of everything else, we needed this. New York needs this.

No, the huge, lofty train hall, with its soaring skylights, doesn’t magically resurrect the old Pennsylvania Station or extinguish the raging dumpster fire that is the current one. It leaves all sorts of herculean challenges and tasks around Penn Station unresolved. But it delivers on its promise, giving the city the uplifting gateway it deserves. When was the last time you could say something like that about a public works project.
 #1561122  by lensovet

For those that have been there: what happens to NJT trains that leave from tracks that are accessible from Moynihan? For example, is anything shown on the information displays next to the escalators?
 #1561165  by Gilbert B Norman

Posted without comment:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/nyre ... -hall.html

Fair Use:
When the Moynihan Train Hall was unveiled to the public this month, it was hailed as one of New York’s most important public works projects in recent memory, a symbol of the city’s resilience through one of its darkest years. New Yorkers marveled at the acre of glass splashed across its 92-foot-tall atrium and the century-old steel trusses holding the large skylight in place.

But looming over the opening was a story of private tragedy.

For nearly a decade, one man, Michael Evans, had quietly shepherded the project to transform the historic Farley Post Office Building into a stately extension of the much-maligned Pennsylvania Station.

Though out of public view, Mr. Evans’s work would come to define the new hall and help ensure its legacy as one of New York’s architectural jewels, his colleagues say.

As project manager, he fought to preserve original steel trusses, brought in installations from world-renowned artists, traveled to a quarry in Tennessee to choose the best marble and paid his own way to Germany to personally inspect the glass that was manufactured for the large atrium.

But Mr. Evans, 40, never saw the product of his painstaking work. Nearly 10 months before the Moynihan Train Hall officially opened, he took his own life.