Railroad Forums 

• Presidential Trains (Inauguration, Campaign, Etc.)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1560704  by CentralValleyRail

I didn't vote for the man but he is the president to be for crying out loud.

"I wonder if they'll go at night? It'd minimize disruption to scheduled services. Are any trains even running on the NEC overnight right now?"

"Hopefully midday, when traffic for MARC is light."

Are you kidding me?

He'll go whenever he is scheduled. God forbid he delays a MARC train minutes... This happens once every 4 sometimes once every 8 years and normally not by train. Whatever special accommodations have to be made should be made, the guy has only been taking Amtrak for the last 40+ years and he is owed his due. Heck if it wasn't for him maybe Amtrak wouldn't be around. Again I didn't vote for him but I'm just stating that BLATANT obvious.
 #1560708  by Gilbert B Norman

I simply CAN'T BELIEVE they're doing this.

A SAM flown by a VC-32 (B-757-200) KILG-KADW is simply the most reasonable and secure means to get the President-Elect and party to Wash. Who knows what the "Bad Boys" are now dreaming up for Jan 20. Besides, having flown myself from KILG, not sure if the 7275ft RWY 9-27 can handle much more in the way of an aircraft.

A VC-25 (747-200) will have another SAM to fly, i.e. the Former President "cashing in his voucher" to go wherever he chooses.

Further, I'd be very happy to see those grandstands along the West Side of The Capitol being chopped down. The ceremony should be limited to that of swearing in the POTUS and VP. Hold it in the Rotunda (get some good sound baffles) followed by the POTUS Address from the TV studio in the Capitol. I guess there has to be a reception; but hold it within the Capitol - masks required. No parade, no Balls (think those already have the CANX).

If the former occupant has not yet had his stuff cleared from 1600 Penn, then off to an "undisclosed location". Bedtime; "the usual" for a 78yo (mine at 79 is 830P).

This is needed as our Republic faces the greatest domestic crisis since the Civil War. We had an uprising on Jan 6 incited by a public official who cannot accept he lost an election - and COVID is hanging around until, I think at best, 4th Qtr.

But if this, I think, reckless display of resolution moves forth, let's hope Amtrak can "pull it together". The train should be a copy of Joe's post-Convention campaign train; Diesel powered (don't need the Bad Boys getting into the Power Distributor's office), and, if you even must have an Obs, the 10004 "American View".

Chomp on this, volks; but to me, this is what the times warrant.
 #1560722  by David Benton

CentralValleyRail wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:06 am I didn't vote for the man but he is the president to be for crying out loud.

"I wonder if they'll go at night? It'd minimize disruption to scheduled services. Are any trains even running on the NEC overnight right now?"

"Hopefully midday, when traffic for MARC is light."

Are you kidding me?

He'll go whenever he is scheduled. God forbid he delays a MARC train minutes... This happens once every 4 sometimes once every 8 years and normally not by train. Whatever special accommodations have to be made should be made, the guy has only been taking Amtrak for the last 40+ years and he is owed his due. Heck if it wasn't for him maybe Amtrak wouldn't be around. Again I didn't vote for him but I'm just stating that BLATANT obvious.
Well said, and great publicity for Amtrak , and highlighting his support for it.
 #1560728  by daybeers

Biden is not the type to be fearful of the events that took place on the 6th, or at least not enough to make him change his plans. I do hope MARC and Amtrak can effectively communicate to their customers what will happen because some customers may end up sitting still on the rails for hours. I imagine they will do it mid-day on the 19th so as to minimize disruption. Yes, he's the President-Elect, but there's still a schedule so be kept to somewhat. He is due to stay at a hotel in D.C. the 19th. I do think this will probably be the only time he will take a train until after his term, but this event, with the vast majority of people at home, namely people who might have wanted to be at the Inaguration in person, will be watching, and that will be great for Amtrak.
 #1560731  by GirlOnTheTrain

The Queen of England rides trains, why can't Amtrak Joe?

Yes, I realize that the British monarchy isn't being threatened by a mob of self-proclaimed patriots being egged on by a sore loser but I would imagine the security concerns are pretty similar.
 #1560740  by Gilbert B Norman

"Career Politicians" such as Joe, are naturally drawn to people. Joe built his entire career on such "retail politics" (most recent POTUS who clearly did not: Nixon), and now he has realized the career politician's ultimate prize. Joe craves being near people, and is willing to take unnecessary risks to be near the 99.44% who wish him no harm - and especially the 51.7% who wish him well.

But I still think it is a reckless stunt.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1560741  by STrRedWolf

CentralValleyRail wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:06 am He'll go whenever he is scheduled. God forbid he delays a MARC train minutes...

Again I didn't vote for him but I'm just stating that BLATANT obvious.
Relevant word highlighted. They would schedule the trip from Wilmington in coordination of MARC(MTA Maryland), SEPTA, CSX, NS, FAA, MAA (Maryland Airport Admin), and the police jurisdictions involved (city/county/state/agency).

Why? I believe that all rail and air traffic has to stop and be removed while the President or President-Elect is traveling, and that it is under armed guard. This probably will include close air support (mainly helicopters and maybe an outer perimeter jet patrol).

Here's what I'd imagine it will be involved:
  • MARC, being on an R-plus-extras schedule, cancels four mid-day WAS-BAL trips and replaces them with commuter buses that day. (They can do this because they're a department under MTA Maryland and also handle commuter bus service -- the department name is literally "MARC and Commuter Bus")
  • SEPTA has a hold for Biden's trains, as it's minimally affected.
  • Amtrak cancels some trains as well, to free up the slots for Biden's train.
  • A rolling ground stop is in effect while the trains run though. This mainly affects Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Martins State Airport, BWI Airport, and College Park Airport for the duration it passes by. (Yeah, I know, College Park is "far away" but reasonably extreme paranoia here please)
  • Washington Union Station gets crowded as ***** until Biden's in the car caravan.
Whole process will take about three hours and will be broadcast on TV. Amtrak gets free advertisement.
 #1560756  by Ken W2KB

To confirm RedWolf's excellent analysis, the FAA has issued a preliminary notice for the 19th rail movement, likely to be followed by additional Temporary Flight Restriction ("TFR") information. The Notice can be found here: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices ... ry.doc.pdf
 #1560767  by STrRedWolf

Ken W2KB wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:11 pm To confirm RedWolf's excellent analysis, the FAA has issued a preliminary notice for the 19th rail movement, likely to be followed by additional Temporary Flight Restriction ("TFR") information. The Notice can be found here: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices ... ry.doc.pdf
Not only it's confirmation of some parts, but it gives me more to refine. The whole process is between 1pm to 6pm. To condense things...

Exceptions to the below are anything in support of the US Secret Service, and any military, federal/state law enforcement, and air ambulance operations who call ahead and let the coordinating office know (Probably to send word up to the first to update their "Friend or Foe" systems). Those can fly.
  • 1p to 5p: Anything that isn't commercial passenger/freight aircraft taking off/landing at local airports inside of a 10 mile radius around Wilmington are prohibited from flying. Between 10 and 30 mile radius local aircraft with working transponders landing/launching at local airfields can fly but only away from the 10 mile radius restriction.
  • 3:30p to 5p: Anything flying within 3 miles of the NEC between Wilmington and Perryville is banned.
  • 3:30p to 5:30p: Anything flying within 3 miles of the NEC between Perryville and Baltimore is banned. Anything inside a 30 mile radius of Baltimore follows the first restriction.
  • 4:00p to 6:00p: Anything flying within 3 miles of the NEC between Baltimore and Washington is banned.
This tells me the train leaves at 3:30p and it's going to be a bit of a slow-poke. There's probably going to be a speech at Wilmington, Baltimore Penn Station, and Washington DC. The critical point will be between 4p and 6p. That's rush hour for MARC northbound...

The timing sucks, big time. If I take a look at the schedules and assume the likely worst...
  • MARC 426 will be the last northbound train out before it's locked down and it'll terminate at BWI Airport right before 4pm, with a bus bridge.
  • MARC 537 will be the last full run down to DC from Perryville before the lock-down.
  • MARC 532 (4:17p WAS departure) and 634 (4:45p WAS departure) will be canceled or swapped to later times. Depending on what happens, MARC 536, 440, and 642 (5 o'clock hour WAS departures) may also be canceled or moved.
  • MARC 641 (3:50 MSA departure) and 443 (4:52p BAL departure) will be canceled or moved. Later southbound trains will not meet up with the Biden train unless something bad really happens (in which the whole line is shut down for 4 hours). I'm more guessing that we'll see 445 and 447 make runs instead of 641 and 443.
Amtrak will probably cancel northbound trains between 3p and 6p, and southbound trains will get speed limited, if not a few canceled.

Good time to stay at home and watch the mess on TV.
 #1560771  by Gilbert B Norman

Joe could feel "forever robbed" that his Inaugural will be "watered down"; no attending church - the church opposite the WH is Episcopal; Joe is Roman Catholic (even if the Episcopal faith - mine - is closest to Roman Catholicism of any Protestant faith) - no reception at the WH with the Outgoing President and First Lady, no ride together down Penn Av, and I must wonder how any wind instrument can be played with the musician wearing a mask!

No parades or Balls has apparently already been decided.

Even though three other outgoing Presidents have chosen not to "take the ride" with their successors (J, & JQ Adams, A Johnson), the combination of the most dreaded plague in over a century being endemic, and likely the greatest hostility of any succession, all this means "not the time or place" for any frivolities. This train ride is certainly such. I know the "foamers", of which I acknowledge being one more so "once upon a time" than today ("workin' on the railroad" did that in with me), would have many a photo op and would be "auxiliary eyes" for Law Enforcement, but why take the risk when a VC-32 KILG-KADW can avoid it.

The train ride is reckless; and I hope over the next ten days, it is reconsidered.
 #1560782  by electricron

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:35 pm The train ride is reckless; and I hope over the next ten days, it is reconsidered.
While I will admit Joe using the train will be disrupted to train operations along the NEC, I do not consider it dangerous or reckless. If it is reckless for Joe to ride Amtrak, logic would suggest it is just as reckless for anyone else to ride Amtrak. And that just is not true.

Joe is a free man in a supposedly free country and has just as much right to ride Amtrak trains as you or me. Being elected President should not reduce his liberty in any way what-so-ever.

The cancel culture on social media is so strong that it takes away freedoms and liberty from all Americans. Trump and Biden had just as much right to hold politically rallies as anyone else, yet Trump was criticized for doing so as if his right of free speech was no longer valid. Rights are not something that should be taken away on a whim of popularity beliefs at that moment in time.
 #1560794  by STrRedWolf

electricron wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:35 pm The train ride is reckless; and I hope over the next ten days, it is reconsidered.
While I will admit Joe using the train will be disrupted to train operations along the NEC, I do not consider it dangerous or reckless. If it is reckless for Joe to ride Amtrak, logic would suggest it is just as reckless for anyone else to ride Amtrak. And that just is not true.
The problem here is that the average public is that, and the risk of being shot off the track is rock-bottom low because there's little value in it. (But that's at terrorist levels where there's some logics. We're looking at cults now where The Crazy is the thing)

Joe Biden is President-Elect, soon to be The President of the United States. The head of any country is a high value target. The risk is much much higher. Thus you got the FAA airspace restrictions. You're going to get Amtrak Police, MTA Maryland Police, MD State Police, Baltimore City Police, county police from three Maryland counties, and Delaware's counterparts, go through each and every inch of track and every station to make sure nobody put a bomb long the route and no cultist or nutjob tries to kiss Biden's train.

Reckless? Of course! But this is Amtrak Joe. Every president's going to have their quirks. In comparison, this quirk is benign.