Railroad Forums 

• 1908 BM Flagman Shanty location in Wakefiled MA

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1560495  by mokanpy

Hello all
I have a photo of my Great Grandfather, a flagman for BM in Wakefield MA c1908.
I am trying to get the actual location.
Some think it is on the Newburyport branch, approximately where the Middle School is now.
There is a building in the background for reference.
However, I do not think this is the same building as the Kytron building still there today:

Anybody have a guess?
TIA
Attachments:
luville.jpg
luville.jpg (121.74 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
 #1560642  by MRY

In the shanty picture, the slope of the roof on what I assume is the elevator shaft is inwards (water runs off onto the building roof. In the other pictures, the slope is outwards (water runs off onto the ground). So probably not the same building unless the roof was rebuilt. Also the window placements are different, with no evidence of anything being "bricked-up" in the newest picture.
 #1560787  by mokanpy

MRY wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:37 am In the shanty picture, the slope of the roof on what I assume is the elevator shaft is inwards (water runs off onto the building roof. In the other pictures, the slope is outwards (water runs off onto the ground). So probably not the same building unless the roof was rebuilt. Also the window placements are different, with no evidence of anything being "bricked-up" in the newest picture.
I agree, not the building we're looking for....
Cowford wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 am Mokanpy, in the original pic, can you read the company name on the building in the background? IRON something or other.
All I can see is IRON and WAT.....
If I can find the original photo I'll put a see what I can read
 #1561207  by jbvb

I'll guess the large lettering on the 1-story part will be "Iron Water Pipe", but I can't get any of the smaller words on the tall part of the building.
 #1561687  by jaymac

Having not much else to do on a Saturday morning, I Googled "iron water pipe wakefield ma" and got a hit on Avon Supply, Foundry Street, Wakefield. The next stop was GEarth, and Foundry runs into Albion which crosses the Reading Line at grade. Mebbe that's how it looked a century-plus ago. Then again, it could be closer to the Junction.