Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1558326  by ExCon90

I haven't seen or heard of anything like that for Ardmore; I've been wondering whether their plans are to substitute Villanova for Ardmore when it's completed. There are a lot of routes feeding Ardmore --- lots more than Villanova -- but having to use the same track as. the locals all the way from Bryn Mawr to 30th St. is inviting delays.
 #1558353  by rcthompson04

ExCon90 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:52 pm I haven't seen or heard of anything like that for Ardmore; I've been wondering whether their plans are to substitute Villanova for Ardmore when it's completed. There are a lot of routes feeding Ardmore --- lots more than Villanova -- but having to use the same track as. the locals all the way from Bryn Mawr to 30th St. is inviting delays.
Isn’t the thought that Villanova would replace Ardmore as the Amtrak stop?
 #1558429  by CNJGeep

Amtrak usually stays on 4 track westbound because they don't have to cross back over at Paoli.
 #1558497  by rcthompson04

CNJGeep wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:31 pm Amtrak usually stays on 4 track westbound because they don't have to cross back over at Paoli.
Yes. The only trains that normally operate on track 3 going west are those bypassing Ardmore or those stopping at Ardmore but there is a SEPTA train on track 4 between Bryn Mawr and Paoli.
 #1560694  by rcthompson04

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:28 pm Shame on the timing, but kinda expected. At least the Pennsy isn't hit.
Utilization has to be horrific. The total cars at Exton are maybe 3 dozen on a weekday with Paoli seeing maybe 5 dozen. This is spread across Amtrak and SEPTA.
 #1560747  by STrRedWolf

rcthompson04 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 pm Utilization has to be horrific. The total cars at Exton are maybe 3 dozen on a weekday with Paoli seeing maybe 5 dozen. This is spread across Amtrak and SEPTA.
That's my thinking. Traffic to DC and NYC would be heavy but... well... DC's light enough from Maryland to cut service down. NYC is probably heavier to warrant fuller service. Philadelphia... I think would lean more on the DC side.
 #1560764  by west point

This is just speculation. Once persons who work in the various business in the NEC get vaccinated we may see most to start commuting to work once again. By June many of the older workers will come into a group that are eligible for vaccination. 6 weeks after the first shot I would certainly be ready to return to work on public transit. ( Amtrak && SEPTA for example )
 #1560770  by njtmnrrbuff

I think the elderly will be able to get their vaccines way before June. The younger people who don't work in essential service jobs will likely have to wait until the middle or late spring. It will take quite a bit of time to get back into working at the office and that doesn't just go along the Keystone Corridor but other rail lines too. I'm sure that the meetings in the state buildings in Harrisburg will resume in person and people attending those will probably use the train again. I knew a neuropsychologist who had to use the Keystone to attend business meetings in Harrisburg. There are probably people living in Lancaster who work in Downtown Harrisburg and they depend on the train. Let me also add-with the Middletown Station getting relocated to the grounds of the airport, this could result in some people living in the Greater Philadelphia area wanting to fly out of a less busier airport and they will look into taking the train to the plane.
 #1560926  by rcthompson04

Whenever I return to the office I will probably take the Keystones more frequently. I will likely be going in 2-3 days a week so the cost difference is not a big deal compared to SEPTA.

I am more bullish on the Keystone returning to good ridership numbers than I am SEPTA. The Keystone will benefit from people fleeing New York having to go back to the office occasionally.
 #1561017  by cle

Would this line not be a good fit for the outgoing Acelas? Electric and 110mph, it's the only suitable home off the NEC. With 125+ running north of Trenton, potentially speeding up the NEC portion of the journey.

Was that ever considered? And could anywhere on the Keystone utilize the tilt?
 #1561019  by The EGE

It's been discussed to death before. Since you're new: the short answer is absolutely no. The Acelas are extremely maintenance-intensive, and would require a number of full-length high-level platforms to be constructed immediately. With the stop density on both the Keystone Corridor and the NEC, travel time savings would be minimal.
 #1561038  by MattW

Also to add that PennDOT would have to buy them and that's very doubtful. Amtrak isn't going to want to maintain the Acelas any longer than they have to to transition them out so PennDOT would have to pay a lot for maintenance (on top of them being a maintenance-intensive vehicle) rather than just using whatever equipment Amtrak is already using (currently ACS-64s and Amfleets). The only chance to see an "Acela" on this corridor is if PennDot decided to pay Amtrak to extend an Acela roundtrip or two out to Harrisburg. Would it cost more? Yes. But likely a LOT less than maintaining the legacy Acelas.
 #1561043  by rcthompson04

On the Acela topic, pre COVID a few of the Keystones were only a few minutes slower than an Acela. Right now it appears there is a Keystone that is only 4 minutes slower than an Acela in the late morning PHL to NYP. For a third of the price I will take 4 minutes longer.