Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1559458  by Teutobergerwald

The picture of the freight train passing under the Vanderbilt Pkwy.- where is that, specifically, and what customer were those covered hoppers for? Thanks.
 #1559460  by Head-end View

The Vanderbilt Motor Pkwy. bridge was located just west of Glen Cove Rd. on the Carle Place/Mineola border. It was torn down some years ago.
 #1559560  by RGlueck

Cold Spring Hill, 1970 or 71, around 3:30PM. I wanted to catch some gray and orange as well as original passenger equipment, as the MTA colors had seeped over into the ALCO fleet. P54's and the eclectic passenger car fleet were becoming fewer and farther apart. I caught my last clerestory roof P54 on this hunt. There is all kind of third rail conversion stuff piled around, and the tall, new power poles have been set. The P54 combine was "icing on the cake".
 #1559603  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: Cold Spring Hill, 1970 or 71, around 3:30PM. I wanted to catch some gray and orange as well as original passenger equipment, as the MTA colors had seeped over into the ALCO fleet. P54's and the eclectic passenger car fleet were becoming fewer and farther apart. I caught my last clerestory roof P54 on this hunt. There is all kind of third rail conversion stuff piled around, and the tall, new power poles have been set. The P54 combine was "icing on the cake".
Outstanding shot !
Is this Cold Spring Hill ? (Photo: Bill Mangahas - February 1982)

#1559690  by DaveBarraza

RGlueck wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:33 pm Last image is opening day at new Floral Park station. The wreath was ordered by Tom Goodfellow for the first passenger train to use the station, so reporters, photographers, television, you name it are in attendance. A few minutes before the first passenger train, a freight came through and carried the whole business off to Holban Yard.
True story.
Now THAT'S the pic I want to see, the Plate F car with the wreath hanging off of it!!!
 #1559944  by newkirk

Inside Flatbush Ave [FBA] terminal.
Photos: Bill Mangahas (April 1979)

These photos were taken on an ERA walking tour of the old terminal.
Combine #1391 of the "heritage train was parked on this track with the other MP54's

looking from inside the long disused freight platforms if #1391.

More photos of the structure used for Rabinowitz & sons glass containers.

Upstairs at the Rabinowitz & sons platforms.

Corridor for either the LIRR or Rabinowitz & sons.

The terminal as it looked back in 1979

Did a haircut cost 60 cents back in 1979 ? lol

Exterior views (November 1980 - Photos: Bill Mangahas)
The terminal looking disheveled in the final years.

The Club Car Bar

The last remaining piece of structure for the LIRR / 5th Ave el conenction.

This location circa 1905
 #1559955  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: Check out that iron work!
Looks like the original red lead primer.
 #1560010  by newkirk

krispy wrote:Outstanding pics Bill! Thanks for posting
Thank you for viewing.
 #1560047  by Pensyfan19

newkirk wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:46 am
Upstairs at the Rabinowitz & sons platforms.
Where were these platforms in relation to the station?

What locomotives carried out freight operations to the terminal? SW1001s? B1s? DD1s?
 #1560060  by newkirk

Pensyfan19 wrote: Where were these platforms in relation to the station?
That huge shed titled Rabinowitz & Sons Glass Containers.
What locomotives carried out freight operations to the terminal? SW1001s? B1s? DD1s?

Someone here would know for sure.
 #1560171  by Cannon Ball

The GE 44-ton center cab #400 was bought in 1950 for this service, as well as for other industries in the area. Not sure when this area went to zero freight customers, but 400 ended her days on LI putzing around Jamaica. It’s now at the Valley RR in Connecticut.