Railroad Forums 

• Metro North WOH Service To Be Eliminated If No Federal Bailout

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1554282  by Jeff Smith

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:04 pm Believe the Division post would be just north of NJT Suffern yard. If the split were to happen
Suffern Industrial track is MN's as well, but is impassable in spots
Pascack Valley Line north of the state line is too short to split off, NJT retains control along with Woodbine yard
Suffern Industrial, aka "Piermont branch" IIRC is getting a rail trail? Crossings have been paved over, there's a washout or two, and would face NIMBY's. It was an option for TZB rail, along with a tunnel/ROW along the NYS Thruway. I believe the route along the Erie Piermont did connect with a station on the PV; I can't remember if the Thruway route did or if they created one.

I think Rockland and Orange would be happier if they had the TZB option. But, the MTA and MNRR are going to be cash-strapped for years without a bailout, as will NYS. If they cease service, I'm sure they'll lose whatever revenue they're getting from those two counties.
 #1555658  by Jeff Smith

west point wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:34 pm An all New York routig wp;d e;iminate those residents that work in NJ.
No.

TZB isn't going to happen in our lifetimes because of Prince Andy, as Hoss notes. But let's foam a bit and say he comes up with the money tomorrow, and MNRR starts running trains along the Cross-Westchester corridor to Port Chester, Infinity, and beyond lol, and MNRR equipment is removed from the NJT pool.

That doesn't mean NJT residents or workers are out of luck. You're still using Suffern Station. That's the NJT Main Line terminus (beyond is NJT operation under contract). Hoss and I are just saying terminate the contract. MNRR would operate the trains from Suffern north; NJT from Suffern south. MNRR would have to pay a fee to use Suffern. Or, whoever Orange and Rockland use if they want to terminate from the MTA region. It's a simple transfer at Suffern.
 #1559923  by Shalom

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 am Crossings have been paved over, there's a washout or two, and would face NIMBY's.
It's more than that: the ROW is gone through part of Monsey. There's a store sitting on it where it crosses Route 306 https://goo.gl/maps/SKtiHicyPqysaoxr9, and tracks are gone from Saddle RIver Road all the way east to the curve into the yard (South Myrtle in Spring Valley). I work in the supermarket that abuts the right of way down Orchard Street, what used to be called Depot Square.

It would be a great place for a station; in fact that's probably where the station used to be.

I remember when I was a kid, that my grandparents lived in Monsey. We saw the old ROW, which was out of service even then, built on a trestle maybe two feet off the ground from 306 to Robert Pitt Dr. That was later replaced with an embankment, but it's a walking path now.
 #1565104  by HAMMER77777

Shalom wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:11 pm
Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 am Crossings have been paved over, there's a washout or two, and would face NIMBY's.
It's more than that: the ROW is gone through part of Monsey. There's a store sitting on it where it crosses Route 306 https://goo.gl/maps/SKtiHicyPqysaoxr9, and tracks are gone from Saddle RIver Road all the way east to the curve into the yard (South Myrtle in Spring Valley). I work in the supermarket that abuts the right of way down Orchard Street, what used to be called Depot Square.

It would be a great place for a station; in fact that's probably where the station used to be.

I remember when I was a kid, that my grandparents lived in Monsey. We saw the old ROW, which was out of service even then, built on a trestle maybe two feet off the ground from 306 to Robert Pitt Dr. That was later replaced with an embankment, but it's a walking path now.
Shalom! Could you please Tell me more about this? I am familiar with Monsey in 1980's. Where was this trestle? Also, I just looked at your picture. How do we Know that's where the ROW is? Because they shouldn't be allowed to build a store on it right? I am very curious about that area!