Railroad Forums 

• Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1539800  by BandA

Perhaps the acid rain over many years. Probably also disintegrates cement and tunnel roof & rock. So not much limestone in the rock!
 #1539814  by jaymac

There was a form of acid rain inside the Hoosac before electrification and again before railroads going to ULSD in 2012 -- wet sulfurous exhaust being blasted out of stacks and onto the roof.
 #1557210  by Ham40PH

I am trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to install a turnout in Shelburne Falls. I was told if it is PTC the cost could be in the hundreds of thousands. I am hopeing that is not the case.
 #1557216  by NYC27

The line is regular CTC - for now - still not cheap. What are you looking to put a singing in for? The state has a program to assist shippers install rail sidings.
 #1557222  by Trinnau

NYC27 is correct, there is not PTC on the line currently though that could change in the near future with the imminent sale of Pan Am. The line is signaled which does mean some additional work is needed other than just installing track.

The state program he refers to is "IRAP" which stands for Industrial Rail Access Program. You can read about it here which includes a link to apply for funding. Some examples of awards just announced last week can be found here.
 #1559754  by GU1001

I just got a heads up that Rails & Ports is reporting a landslide at the west portal. At least 8” of debris including mud & stone over the rail. At this point, traffic delayed til late tonight.

Here’s a link to the R&P home page. Story is about halfway down on the right...https://railsandports.com/
 #1559776  by MEC407

At 8:45 AM today, a landslide was discovered outside the west portal of the Hoosac Tunnel. There was eight inches of stone and mud over the rail head.

Water was also flowing from the same brook that was rerouted as part of the tunnel repairs earlier this year.

Part of a retaining wall is also involved.

Impacted trains:

16R - planned for 9pm tonight
RJED - tied down at Hoosick Jct
EDRJ - originally planned for 1pm at East Deerfield; pushed back to 5pm
23K planned for 2pm; pushed back to 6pm
22K Not running today on PAS
 #1559791  by Cosmo

True, this time it's outside the tunnel,
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1559814  by NHV 669

A post to one of the PAR pages an hour ago indicates that the area is clear and rail traffic has resumed, perhaps we'll see a train sighting soon to confirm.
 #1559820  by CN9634

Love the R&P Drama here.... literally crews were setback a few hours and things are moving again. Talk about blown out of proportion!
 #1559824  by newpylong

roberttosh wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:05 pm No matter how minor this incident is, I’m sure the NS can’t be very happy about it.
They've had 11 years to be unhappy with all sorts of things (on PAS) and largely haven't done anything about it.