Railroad Forums 

• New England Central Railroad (NECR)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1551611  by CN9634

I'm told the CN crew is ordered tomorrow for 323 at St. Albans. I guess we'll see what happens. That's an old trestle no doubt so at some point it'll need serious work done... seems NECR hasn't really been thinking too much about that one.
 #1558950  by NHV 669

R&P reporting that Davisville-bound autos have shifted from NS to CN/G&W.

https://railsandports.com/2020/12/davis ... w-routing/

This one's got some teeth; test rack was confirmed headed south on the headpin of 324 this morning through BF.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1558995  by johnpbarlow

Doesn't the article say this auto traffic being shipped by CN/G&W to Davisville is Fiat Chrysler product (ie, Dodges and Jeeps)? If so, those autos are currently railed to either the E Brookfield MA ramp on CSX or to the Ayer Sanvel ramp via NS/PAS. NS/PAS ships Subaru products through Gardner to Davisville so I'm guessing that traffic is not impacted.
Last edited by johnpbarlow on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1559066  by CN9634

It was mentioned from an actual source that actually knows what they are talking about these volumes are snipping away at CSX business not NS. Just look at who wrote the article and the amount of 'sources'
 #1559099  by J.D. Lang

I didn't think that autoracks could clear the tunnel in Bellows Falls. Did they undercut it at some point or was it always high enough?
 #1559108  by J.D. Lang

Sir Ray wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:08 pm
J.D. Lang wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:12 pm I didn't think that autoracks could clear the tunnel in Bellows Falls. Did they undercut it at some point or was it always high enough?
Yes, there was a 2007 double stack clearance project.
Thanks for the info and link.
 #1559110  by johnpbarlow

NECR's Bellows Fall tunnel is cleared to a minimum height of 19' 8" which will not accommodate double stacked domestic cube containers but will accommodate enclosed auto rack cars and double stacked international cube containers or 1 domestic cube container and one international cube container. In other words, its vertical height clearance accommodates the same auto rack and container configs as Pan Am's Hoosac Tunnel.

Here's a link to a detailed illustrated project description for the 2007 enlargement (note how the canal bridge at one end of the tunnel and the grade crossing at the other end necessitated short 4% grades coming out of the tunnel in both directions):
http://nec-sia.org/pdf/Bellows%20Falls% ... roject.pdf
Attachments:
NECR Bellows Falls Tunnel clearance.JPG
NECR Bellows Falls Tunnel clearance.JPG (35.53 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
 #1559115  by NHV 669

CN9634 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:42 am It was mentioned from an actual source that actually knows what they are talking about these volumes are snipping away at CSX business not NS.
Cars that would normally head for EBSR?