Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1558505  by MaineCentral252

Does anyone know how much of the pulp is currently coming in by rail vs. truck? For a mill of this size, that's a lot of pulp to be bringing in, and in theory would represent some decent traffic for CSX :-)
 #1558506  by NHV 669

Saw a video of what I thought was a RUPO the other day, until I realized there were too many open gons with those MS paint company marks (ended up being a WAPO.) Is ND still getting those oversized green cars of shredded tires, or did they move onto another fuel source? Are they still getting the occasional cut of coal hoppers or no?
 #1558523  by roberttosh

While the permanent closing of the pulp mill and paper machine is obviously not great news, at least it sounds like they are fully committed to upgrading and continuing to run the rest of the mill well into the future which I don't think was a sure thing.
 #1558540  by wally

that will have far-reaching consequences for harvesting in central new england, because it was a primary outlet for pine pulp, especially with the closure of so many of the biomass power plants.

it will be difficult to find alternative economical markets for that resource; more of it will be left in the woods.
 #1558719  by roberttosh

For those of you in the know in terms of paper production, am curious if having to bring in pulp from outside sources vs making it yourself is not the preferred method and puts you at a distinct disadvantage from a cost standpoint? If it was less costly to have it shipped in I don't see why any plants would make it themselves. If I recall, some of the plants that have closed were more dependent on market pulp, like Madison, Bucksport and Lincoln after the explosion, so am thinking there must be some advantage to making it yourself? If so I wonder how stable a future Pixelle at Jay really has?
 #1558770  by wally

roberttosh wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:47 pm If it was less costly to have it shipped in I don't see why any plants would make it themselves.
well, pulp is created via pulpwood. new raw material needs to be introduced; pulp fibers break down over time via recycling. someone has to create new pulp to meet the demand.
 #1558775  by F74265A

NHV 669 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:43 pm

Here's today's RUPO for size, still a decent amount of cars headed down the branch.
I saw some number of cp rail box cars in that consist. Don’t know if that’s normal or if cp rail is getting a greater share of the mill traffic now that cp is back in ME in a big way
 #1558902  by bostontrainguy

Impressive train. I am getting pretty sick and tired of all the graffiti though. I wish railroads applied graffiti-resistant paints or sealants and ended the visual assault.
 #1559000  by CF14

2020-12-15 9:59 EST | ME | RUMFORD |**TRAIN DERAILMENT/FIRE/INCIDENT**| WYMAN HILL RD AT RT 108 | UNITS O/S OF A TRAIN DERAILMENT INVOLVING 2 TANK CARS AND 2 BOX CARS. TANK CARS ARE EMPTY. DEP AND EMA ADVISED.