Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1558564  by liftedjeep

David wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:54 pm I believe those engines were painted green with "Pine Belt" in yellow. Saw both of them at Clayton Sand down in the loading zone at the plant.
It's possible that you might be thinking of the (now defunct) Shore Fast Line Railroad that was based out of Hammonton in the 1990s. Although they never operated at Clayton Sand, the railroad's paint scheme was green & yellow. See link:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4337789

Ben
 #1558572  by liftedjeep

I believe you are correct. There was a yard in Hammonton that the Shore Fast Line utilized.
However, this is not the thread to discuss the SFL. I was simply trying to assist in clarifying what locomotives David was referring to.

Ben
 #1558650  by David

Perhaps the two engines I saw in the Clayton Sand facility were pups with the green paint and yellow lettering. They had a trail of hoppers coupled together ready to pull out of the loop .This was in the 70s.
 #1558754  by Bracdude181

@David Depending on what part of the 70s you are referring to, Conrail/CNJ still ran on the Southern. Towards the end, Clayton owned the line and either ran the Woodmansie to Lakehurst transfer themselves or Conrail did it.

So we know that these two GP9s previously mentioned were at the very least used as yard engines for Clayton. However, I was wondering what they did the Woodmansie to Lakehurst run with if they were in fact doing that part themselves. From what I heard, they were all 7600 engines leased from Conrail. (All were GP38s built before the Dash 2 standards)
 #1558759  by Bracdude181

@liftedjeep I could be wrong, but Conrail may have kept the line open as far as Winslow to use as a back way into Camden until 1982, but I could be wrong on that.

My question is, if Clayton indeed was running the transfer between Lakehurst and their sand pit themselves during the last few years, what did they use?
 #1559467  by David

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:18 pm Actually, since we were talking about what power we had down here, what do you think we will see when operations start up?

I say leased GP38s. Either something new or something transferred from Tuckahoe.
That is what is planed.
 #1559667  by liftedjeep

rr503 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:06 pm Hold up, since when are there any definite plans for this line? Is it not still vaporware?
The old adage holds true, "Believe it when you see it!"

Ben
 #1559720  by Bracdude181

@rr503 I know right? All this time, we only knew the general plan of this Lakehurst to Woodmans operation, which is to move sand by rail for Clayton. To this day some of the specifics are still unknown. I don’t think anyone even knows the speed limit for this line yet.

Since there is a plan, maybe they have more in the works than just Lakehurst to Woodmansie? I have heard rumors of expansions after the sand trains start up.

I don’t know about y’all, but I’m thinking Seashore Lines could definitely expand in the Ocean County area. Reopen the Toms River Branch and do transloading on it, while the tracks south of Clayton can be used to store railcars. (If they don’t extend down to Chatsworth to serve Ocean Gro)

Maybe do some stuff from Lakehurst to South Lakewood too. Reopen the old Gliddon line to bring tar and asphalt to to the two asphalt plants on South Hope Chapel Road. The Gliddon line can also be used to serve some of the business relocating out of Lakewood provided they move there. (Much of the town is being rebuilt and turned into high density housing except for the east end where the industrial park is) A small yard can be built in Lakehurst too and Conrail would switch it out.

Rail excursions could be done too but this is the freight discussion topic so I won’t get into that here.