Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1558399  by bostontrainguy

This is the Pan Am clearance map from their website. I guess we can now assume that the tracks going towards Revere can be yellow allowing for Plate F. But for how far does anyone know? Can they access the Revere Branch?

Also for the Fitchburg branch, it shows it is cleared for only about 2/3 of the way unlike the other two main lines. Is that still the case? Is there any reason that only part of this trackage is cleared?

If this map is accurate I guess Plate F cars will have to go via Lowell only. But the map shows double-stacks allowed only to "Crescent" from the west and not Mechanicville for some reason so maybe an update is in order.

#1558563  by lightbulb

Wasn't CSX's whole goal to become profitable was not to deliver to end customers especially on low volume branch lines. They stop going east of Framingham and gave PAR the job o deliver in the Boston area a few years ago. Will they now stop all service to customers in Boston and North Shore? I do not see them wanting to continue servicing low volume customers in the region. Maybe they will give the rights to other class 3s to take over these jobs. Might be lucrative for a small RR.
 #1558565  by newpylong

That was when they were in PSR hell. They've come out and are in growth mode, see Framingham Secondary new customers. Time will tell but I would not expect much to be offloaded. There isn't even much marginal left.
 #1558581  by F74265A

Are you referring to the new trash/c&d loading facility in Leominster or has csx landed even more new business on the Fitchburg secondary?
 #1558599  by bostontrainguy

F74265A wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:21 pm Are you referring to the new trash/c&d loading facility in Leominster or has csx landed even more new business on the Fitchburg secondary?
Looks like another one is in the works:

Leominster Packaging & Warehousing ($348,798):
The project will support the installation of a new siding track and equipment to unload plastic pellets to meet demand of area plastic manufacturing businesses. The project will increase the volume of cargo being shipped by rail and eliminate over 300 truck trips on roads in the region. Leominster Packaging & Warehousing is providing 40% of the project cost.
 #1558603  by MaineCentral252

newpylong wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 am That was when they were in PSR hell. They've come out and are in growth mode, see Framingham Secondary new customers. Time will tell but I would not expect much to be offloaded. There isn't even much marginal left.
There's really not much left period. There's whats left of the mills I guess. I still can't for the life of me figure out what CSX sees in the property, Saint John notwithstanding.
 #1558660  by oat324

Time for Number 5 on the list to take it over unless it can split up the railroad with Number 2. I have seen worst things with CSX out here in Indiana with out of service former mains sitting unused, furloughs, and lost customers. NS did just lose a contract with General Motors in Ft Wayne to the G&W's CF&E (Chicago, Fort Wayne, and Eastern).
https://moneywise.com/a/the-worst-compa ... hzYl4xiOfg
 #1558679  by Gilbert B Norman

Railroads, like any other component of the transportation system, is a 24/7 operation. If you can't accept that, don't go near any industry within such - or at least not near Operations.

Go in to railroad Operations as a Conductor or Locomotive Engineer, you get a "Middle Manager's" earnings without needing the "Pedigree", but "the railroad owns you" in return.

disclaimer: author had "had enough" after eleven years of railroad employment.
 #1558685  by BM6569

F74265A wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:26 pm
newpylong wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 pm Yes. I always confuse the two names of the secondaries.
They do both end in Framingham so the names are inherently confusing
Speaking of that line. Part of it will be rail banked and used as a trail.

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 301337.pdf
 #1558689  by newpylong

That's a third line, the old Framingham and Lowell - the one that crossed Route 2 at grade and ended at Lowell with the wye. It splits off of the Fitchburg secondary just north of the yard. Not sure why CSX is holding on to any of it, it's all housing developments along the row, no chance of business.
 #1558733  by codasd

I believe most of it is a rail trail now through Acton, Chelmsford , and Lowell. I think it ran by the old Wang buildings by Rt. 3 and the Lowell Connector. As Newpy mentioned it ended in Lowell at the wye just north of Gorham Street.