Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1557795  by Bracdude181

@NY&LB At the time, re-activation of the line was just a rumor floating around.

In 2009 work began to clear the ROW of all overgrowth between Lakehurst and Clayton, with the work finishing up in late 2010. In Spring of 2011, Lacey Rd and another crossing (forgot which one) were rebuilt completely. Throughout the next few years, Clayton and Seashore Lines worked on the line on and off. Around 2015, a big push to get the line open was started. Sections of the ROW south of Lakehurst were completely rebuilt and unfinished crossings were worked on. Conrail also began working on their tracks between Lakehurst and South Lakewood. The line was completely cleared of all foliage and the crossing on 571 was rebuilt. NJ Transit paid for the two bridges.

By 2018, most of the work needed between Lakehurst and Woodmansie was done. Conrail had let the trees grow back on their section though. Work stopped on the Seashore Lines ROW around this time. I think they ran out of grant money.

The sad part is, we were supposedly gonna see service start this year. That changed when the pandemic began, and no one was willing to put money towards the project because of uncertainty regarding the economy at the time. Things have calmed down now, so work has resumed.

About a month ago, Seashore Lines had a contractor crew from Kentucky come in to install the wiring and foundations for a new crossing on Union Ave. The crew has not returned yet, but will return by the end of December or early January to finish the crossing. What comes next is unknown, but I say keep an eye on things.
 #1557965  by Bracdude181

CSX 4405 leading with CSX 6160 trailing. One tank for Bel Ray and what looks like a very long train for Woodhaven.

They will be getting permission to open up on Church Running shortly.
 #1558123  by Tanker1497

I'm guessing we need to look for where those pipes come out of the ground? When I looked last week I couldn't think of where to start looking as its in such a strange location. I'm going to ride over there today after the rain stops.
 #1558125  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 I haven't seen anything where wires can come out of the ground. Generally, holes in a crossing box foundation are for the wires running from the box to the signals themselves. They might have drilled the holes for the wires but nothing else yet, as the foundation is all that's there right now.
 #1558138  by Tanker1497

There are five 5in conduit pipes in the cement housing. I found at the closes pole the PVC for meter and 1 5in conduit at base. Were ther other pipes are is a anyones guess!
 #1558154  by Tanker1497

I can't take that leap! But there isn't anything near this that would explain what's going on. We need more parts of the puzzle.
 #1558157  by CR7876

1. Its too far away from the RoW
2. There isn't anything on the other side of the RoW

This horse is dead, stop beating it!