Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1545155  by Pensyfan19

This sounds pretty interesting.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-to-e ... -1.4976795
CALGARY -- The feasibility of a new passenger rail service between Calgary and Banff will be explored after a memorandum of understanding was signed between the Alberta government and Canada Infrastructure Bank.

The service would run between Calgary International Airport and the Town of Banff, with potential for stops in between.

“The CIB brings expertise and experience that is needed for a project of this scale," said Transportation Minister Ric McIver in a release.
 #1552265  by Westernstar1

I hope that we will eventually see a Banff to Calgary passenger train. The last one was in 1990, before then VIA abandoned the CP route in favor of the CN route through Jasper and Edmonton.

It's too bad the Rocky Mountaineer terminates in Banff and no longer goes on to Calgary. Does anyone know why the RM abandoned the Calgary terminus?

Richard
 #1552363  by Mollie

Not sure why Rocky Mountaineer dropped Calgary - I suspect it was a combination of having their own station in Banff and low patronage?

It'd be great to see a Banff - Calgary - Edmonton corridor which would then also connect to VIA - maybe one train day continuing to Jasper?
 #1557558  by Gilbert B Norman

There is discussion at another site that Rocky Mountaineer is encountering financial issues - COVID notwithstanding.

Besides, as I recall from my one ride June '65 on The Canadian, the scenery is largely West of Banff, and that is what RM's well heeled clientele "pay through the nose" to see - and not the prairie.

This decision could be part of releasing equipment for their proposed Denver-Moab excursion being discussed at the Amtrak Forum.
 #1557583  by NS VIA FAN

Banff National Park has over 4 million visitors a year so the idea of a train between Calgary and Banff is to help relieve the congestion on the Trans Canada Highway that can become a parking lot on summer weekends
 #1572862  by electricron

NS VIA FAN wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:25 pm Banff National Park has over 4 million visitors a year so the idea of a train between Calgary and Banff is to help relieve the congestion on the Trans Canada Highway that can become a parking lot on summer weekends
4 million visitors per year is a whole lot of parking spots.
If dispersed evenly throughout the year; 4000000/365 = 10,959 visitors
If dispersed only on weekends; 4000000/104 = 38,462 visitors
So lets assume the real data point is between those two extremes.
It is difficult for me to imagine a baseball or football stadium of visitors within the park on any day unless most just drive through - or just spend a few hours in the park before moving on to their next destination.
I wonder how many of them actually camp or book a hotel room overnight?
 #1575912  by Pensyfan19

Promising update:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... operation/
CALGARY, Alberta — The Canada Infrastructure bank may fund up to half of a proposed passenger rail operation between Calgary’s airport and the popular tourist destination of Banff, an idea promoted by the provincial government and a private firm, Liricon Capital.

Canadian Pacific, whose rail line would be involved, is open to the idea, Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail reports. The operation could begin as early as 2025.

The infrastructure bank, a federal Crown corporation, has not yet made a formal commitment to the $1 billion project, but the bank’s chief investment officer told the newspaper that the project “looks good” considering the potential ridership and provincial support.
 #1576309  by Arborwayfan

In summer 1997 I spent a day driving up from Calgary to the Spiral Tunnels and back, with a couple of stops in Banff National Park. The main road (Trans-Canada Hwy?) goes right through the park and as of 1997 you needed to display a receipt to stop at any of the various park sites along the highway, so it is entirely possible that some large fraction of those visitors are pretty much just passing through. But if a couple hundred longer-term visitors a day took the train, stayed at a lodge or camp in Banff, and got around by hiking or shuttle, that could make their trip more pleasant and reduce congestion on smaller park roads inside the park.