Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1557150  by Bracdude181

@CJPat True, there has been a bit of a decline in the need for rail service in modern times. Hence why the rail lines are more centralized now than they were under peak era PRR and CNJ times down here. In the case of distribution, it is hard for rail to compete in that sector, but not impossible. Most railroads do this by providing intermodal and TOFC trains to areas where distribution centers are a long way away from a port or a factory. As for manufacturing, there just isn't much of that in NJ nowadays. At least in Central NJ

Sellers and Vendors appear to make up the majority of customers along Central NJ rail lines. Of course, small places that only get their supplies as needed probably aren't that well suited for rail service. In Central NJ, larger business like Builders General, Bel-Ray, Reed-Perine, Prestone, and OEG Building Supply are better suited for rail service. Hence why Conrail serves them.

The problem is that some of these businesses that want rail service aren't able to because of business practices by North Jersey management, and Transit restrictions. Of course, this isn't why all prior customers have left. Some have closed down, others moved away, and some less fortunate ones like Gold Lumber closed due to unfortunate circumstances. Others left for other reasons. The Oceangro loader was shut down because of a government rule stating Oceangro could only be sold and distributed in Ocean County. (?!) Clayton Sand originally stopped their rail service because of the costs of track maintenance I believe. They kept derailing in one spot and one particular wreck was one too many apparently.
Fort Dix stopped shipping their bomb waste simply because they ran out of waste to ship.

Thing is, there are people in Central NJ that want rail service but aren't able to because of the aforementioned problems.

United Natural Fruits in Howell wants cars, but Transit doesn't allow reefer cars.

EH Allen Trucking in Sayreville wants cars loaded with poles, but Conrail won't bring the cars to him directly. The cars are instead brought to Freehold Yard and the poles are loaded onto a truck and shipped back to Sayreville.

Sad part is Conrail was actually willing to treat its customers with dignity and respect until 2003. They even came down and switched customers as needed on weekdays. Nowadays, only certain customers are afforded such luxuries. Mainly the larger ones.
 #1557163  by JohnFromJersey

CJPat wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 pm Keep in mind gentlemen, things are in this condition because it has devolved over decades of reduced need. Many factors led to this point (business declines, unfriendly business attitude from the State, endorsement of Airline and Trucking over rail, taxes, railroad regulations, how profits are demanded by stockholders every quarter rather than allowing for major investments to develop.....the list goes on and on).

You are not likely to see enough improvements in various areas to see a return in railroading equal to the 1950s before everything fell apart.

As an example, you are going back and forth regarding plate F limitations and the non-unity between Commercial Rail and NJT or NJDOT. You even have been discussing redevelopment of Monmouth Junction. But even, here you are overlooking some of the obvious devolvement.

As a kid in the '60's & '70's I used to see large freights hussling up and down the NE Corridor under Penn Central with the GG-1s and E-44s doing a lot of heavy lifting. There were dozens upon dozens of sidings and parallel tracks for the locals to work (you can still see the remnants). Today there are a couple/few small minor freights moving about on the NEC.

Amtrak owns the NEC. And they are pushing to make the line faster. They don't want the liability of slow freights clogging their traffic. NJT is constantly having difficulty getting their own trains onto the NEC. You comment that NJT doesn't want freight on the Coast Line. I think you are tilting at some pretty big windmills if you think AMTRAK is going to open their arms to any more freight.
Would be interesting to see if a dedicated freight line could ever be created in NJ, so Amtrak and NJT can have their cake and Conrail theirs. As I've mentioned before, Winslow-Woodmansie could be a good route to get some freight trains off the Southern Secondary, and maybe use the Coastline/NEC at night for these trains to go onto.

Also, 600 pages! Woohoo!
 #1557176  by Tanker1497

A great amount of information just passed through the page in the last week! Some of it hard fast info or truths and some of it just wishful thinking. Both has its place in the conversation, it keeps all of us thinking of just what will or may happen. I love this banter on a forum page. I have added some info to the forum over the years that was truthful statements and I have seeen it used by some in the last week. I have seen in one week what 600 pages have said all along. I have also come away with some information I didn't have before. I keep an open mind and everyone should.
To all the contributers Thanks!
steve d
 #1557314  by Bracdude181

A strange concrete foundation has been built next to the abandoned Farmingdale to Freehold ROW on Route 524. It has holes in the ground for wiring, the case for a electrical meter box, and plastic yellow pylons surrounding it. Not sure what it's for, but the shape of the foundation is similar to whats found on foundations for railroad relay cases...

In addition, construction markings have appeared along the ROW on Yellowbrook Rd. (Next to Stavola) The markings show where an AT&T broadband wire is. The road surface and a small portion of land to the west is marked.

Anyone know what this is about? Mainly the concrete thing. Why would that be built there and what is it for?
 #1557320  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 pm A strange concrete foundation has been built next to the abandoned Farmingdale to Freehold ROW on Route 524. It has holes in the ground for wiring, the case for a electrical meter box, and plastic yellow pylons surrounding it. Not sure what it's for, but the shape of the foundation is similar to whats found on foundations for railroad relay cases...

In addition, construction markings have appeared along the ROW on Yellowbrook Rd. (Next to Stavola) The markings show where an AT&T broadband wire is. The road surface and a small portion of land to the west is marked.

Anyone know what this is about? Mainly the concrete thing. Why would that be built there and what is it for?
They are probably going to do crossing work, like reinstalling the crossing on the Freehold to Farmingdale ROW
 #1557324  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey That's very good to hear. If this is indeed what they are doing, then the future is bright for the Southern Secondary!
 #1557369  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:A strange concrete foundation has been built next to the abandoned Farmingdale to Freehold ROW on Route 524. It has holes in the ground for wiring, the case for a electrical meter box, and plastic yellow pylons surrounding it. Not sure what it's for, but the shape of the foundation is similar to whats found on foundations for railroad relay cases...

Pictures?
 #1557371  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 I unfortunately didn't have the time to stop and take any pictures, and I won't have the time until the end of the week to go out and take some pictures. I'll see what I can do once I can free up some time.

The foundation can be found at: 40°11'58"N 74°10'42"W · 82.1 ft
 #1557447  by Bracdude181

@JDRails I wouldn't expect it to affect the Southern run. As for OI-16, if the derailment does affect it, they either just won't run the transfer or will send it down to Monmouth Junction if they well and truely need to get cars into browns.

I say keep your scanner on if you have one. Listen for either OI-95, OI-8, or OI-32 on the NEC dispatch frequency. It will most likely be one of those symbols if anything other than ME-2 goes south of Metuchen.
 #1557448  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:@CR7876 I unfortunately didn't have the time to stop and take any pictures, and I won't have the time until the end of the week to go out and take some pictures. I'll see what I can do once I can free up some time.

The foundation can be found at: 40°11'58"N 74°10'42"W · 82.1 ft
Don't waste your time. I drove out there today, there isn't anything railroad related going on.
 #1557469  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:@CR7876 Any idea what that foundation is for?
It looks to me like it is going to be some sort of roadway radar speed limit sign. The road looks like it was just paved, there were no markings on it, nor on the railroad RR. At Yellowbrook Rd there is some markings in the roadway, but it looks like its just mark outs for some construction on the concrete plant property, also not RR related.

Someone is building a business center on the Southeast corner of Oakerson Rd, where the ROW crosses, but no railroad work going on their either.
 #1557510  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 Interesting. That's a fairly big foundation for a speed radar equipped sign.

Anyways, we might have a train on the Southern either today or tomorrow. They usually run the Friday after Thanksgiving. Expect a fast run if it's an extra.