Railroad Forums 

• Gardner Gawking

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1556104  by jaymac

0500-0705/11-06-2020 was a new time-window with a coupla surprise viewings. 0500 started off with what would prove to be an intermittent constant -- AY-4 car countdowns. 0511 would feature a hashapalooza, only "22K, over" escaping into intelligibility, more to follow about 22K and more hash to follow. One clear exception had been at 0514 when D-3 told AYPO he wanted to keep them running, asking if they thought they could get to Westford by 0600. Whatever the response was got rogered with thanks.
At 0533, the top yellow on the 333 1 WL was the exception to the rest of the reds. NS 4041 was holding a bit west on the 1 and get D-3's yarding instructions -- 1 was clear, overflow to 2 with a tie-on to the trash car that was on the west end, and then to 3. There was an hour gap between 402 and 404, and D-3 would get them to Slab City. More retentive readers would be wondering about racks. There were none. The 1 WL had gone to clear, and 22K used gravity as a start, the 4140 and Pony pal 8157 getting 141 -- yes, one hundred forty one -- single-high loaded well positions east at 0547. Seems unlikely that San-Vel wouldn't be getting any loaded racks, so mebbe they had or would come east with freight, the lockdown of Ayer crossings and prolonged shunting of blocks from 141 racks being bad enough, let alone from 141 well slots plus however many racks being a possible determinant.
Countdowns would continue through the viewing of the 334 ELs -- Stops -- and 334 1 stagger and 335s -- dark.
At 0556, D-3 would advise POED that they'd have a Gardner pickup, other bits of his side of the convo being hashed. Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark, and at 0559, a breaking D-? would give what sounded like Single-to-Single 241 to EDPO with the 7560. There was general -- coils and covered hoppers visible -- on Yard 1 from the Lead Switch west. Yard 4 had more general -- scrap gons included -- plus racks on the east and west. Couldn't tell about Yard 2. The Sameoldsameold Ledger continued to include upright vegetation within and without the gauge of the Heywood. PD Gardner contributed to radio confusion for a couple starting at 0602.
The EB trip featured more garbles, AY-4 occasionally being IDable, and at 0612, the 333 WLs were again lit, this time with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding WL. 404 was at the platform, but not due out for another 8, so I continued EB. 0622 was when "22K, take it ahead" got heard. As subsequent events would show, 22K was taking it ahead on the 2 at AY.
The 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear, and the GL and FG WLs were dark. 0629 was when 404 gave them selves the OK to depart Fitchburg and was also the time when an obscured NewBlue -- mebbe still the 503 -- was sitting in the FI-1/2 parking spot, the presumed POED with NewBlues 7635 and 7534 plus a coupla boxes sitting 1 track north and presumably waiting for 404 to get east so they could continue their Fitchburg work.
The rest of the trip's clear receptions -- with 2 exceptions -- would be from AY-4 and 22K doing yard work.
At 0635 and while I sat stopped in traffic on Main Street/Rte. 13, 404 was also coming to their North Leominster stop, with total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus MassDOTBlue 1136. The EB staggers for Derby had shown an Approach for 1 ands a Clear for 2, the 2 being dropped at 0637. 4 company gons continued to rust in place on the RVJ stub.
The clear exceptions to the 22K/AY-4 chorus? At 0650, D-2 started to issue Form D G201, but my mobility ended that clarity, and at 0653, D-3 fulfilled Form D G301 to Q427, they being west and clear of Burncoat. Didn't hear a power ID.
 #1556250  by jaymac

0500-0700/11-09-2020 was busy, starting even before I got into the car with GE noise. At 0459, there was just a "22K," more about which to follow. No crossing noise had been heard before I got moving, and the X7.8 got vocal at 0502. At 0503, there was a both-sides-sometimes-clear AY-3/D-3 convo focused on mebbe the Camp or mebbe a cab, depending on how AYPO was doing, AY-3 to stand by while D-3 conferred with AYPO.
0505 was when the X7.8 gave out a no defects, indicating a shortish train, and 0506 was when 2 units worth of WB inspection lights were seen west of the West Boylston solar farm. To save suspense, naught further -- including a Form D fulfillment -- would be heard to. from. or about Q427 by me. 0509 was when D-3 told AY-3 that AYPO was 1 length west of the the 1 switch and that he would bring AY-3 in on East Wye and to give AYPO a call.
There would follow a spell of Yard Channel garble, only "AY-4" being intelligible. At 0531, the 333 WLs were dark, and on the way over to 334 -- ELs at Stop and 1 stagger dark -- there was more garble that allowed only "AYPO" into clarity.
The 335 ELs were at Stop and the Single WL showed a Medium Clear, the Medium Approach Medium on the Controlled Siding WL hinting that an EB would be crossing over at 333 and not 335. 0540 started a D-3 /22K convo. Were they ready for yarding instructions? Yes. They were to go to 2 ,where there were 2 trash cars on the west end, leaving room for another 5-pack. 22K's 5 racks mebbe might go to South track, 20 racks already at San-Vel. There'd be a check with the Chief on that, the results of which went unheard by me. Also, D-3 would bring 22K down to the Tower, they being able to fit between Camp and the Tower. So how short was 22K? NS 4285 and illegible fellow Pony got the 5 racks and 45 single-high-occupied well positions east of the 335 EL and MP at 0542. AY-4 was also doing car countdowns at this time.
In other 335 news, the tie-handler was still in the lot, but with company. Over by the Controlled Siding sat a company Case loader, a chain-and-hook arm in place and a bucket sitting on the ground.
West of the 335 lot, a spell of both-sides-of-Channel-1 garble began, concluded at 0549 by "D-3 out." Garble quickly resumed, but -- my altitude increasing and Mount Wachusett less being less interfering -- with the words that they should be able to see 22K soon, 22K getting near the Camp, then more garble, and then "...trip back to Rigby," making it seem like AYPO had been the other party.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were at Stop, but the Pearson Boulevard UGB tracks were MT, suggesting another EB, but no. Just east of the Timpany Boulevard UGB on 2 were KCIR 7528 and NewBlue 7561 getting ready to work the yard. The 345 WLs were also at Stop, but the marker was a bit west of the WL. The slurries made it seem like it was a POED, but the C was doing more walking than talking. The view of the yard was obstructed, but it looked like a goodly number of cars were there. AY-4's car countdown were briefly heard while I was at the 345s.
EB occasional garble got heard, and at 0614, the 333 WLs showed a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding. 404 already at the platform. Instead of waiting 6 minutes, I continued EB, and unlike on 11-06, naught further was seen of or heard to, from, or about 404.
Further east and at 0617, there was D-3 garble to 22K, and even further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear. The GL and FG WLs were dark, at at 0627, dark and west-facing NewBlue 310 sat on the westerly end of a string of covered hoppers on East Side.
At 0633, the EB staggers for Derby were dark. 4 company gons -- MT -- sat on the RVJ stub, but a stack of used ties sat on the ground up by the most easterly gon.
At 0641, a breaking AY-4 advised 22K that the trash car had been spotted, and occasional AY-4 receptions would be the only clarity for the remainder of the trip.
 #1556438  by jaymac

0500-0705/11-11-2020 was busy, 1 sign of which was the T being on "normal" -- as will be seen -- service. OT, but I had thought the purpose of observing Veterans Day on the date instead of a Monday was to show proper props.
The first actual sound was at 0457 as I was getting ready to get ready and the AY-3 E got told to take it ahead 4 cars. Except for a coupla static eruptions, there would be a protracted period of radio silence, at least for me. At 0532, an Approach showed on the 333 1 WL plus a WB marker on 2 up west by the platform. Given events in the near term, I'm guessing either EDPO or FI-2 was a bit east.
0536 was when there was a hashed AY-4/D-3 convo, probably on Yard Channel. Over at 334, the ELs and 1 stagger were at Stop and dark New Blue 3400 -- mebbe POED -- sat a bit east on 2. I didn't stay but shoulda cuz over at 335, 22K was EB on 1, the power and any racks already east. Except for a coupla MT tables, the table-and-well mix was east at 0547, so a substantial train. The tie-handler was still in the lot, as was the company Case loader, but a bit west of where it had been on 11-09 in relation to the on-the-ground bucket.
There had been AY-4 hash at 0545, followed at 0547 by a clear "AY-4, back for 6, followed more hash.
A bit further west came the sounds of D-3 and 22K engaging in a convo, D-3 asking if they were ready for yarding instructions. By this time, 22K and I were far enough apart that I didn't hear them, and Mount Wachusett was again between me and the Paxton antenna, so immediate further developments got lost.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark. Yard 4 was almost FP-FP with general that included CRYO-TRANSes on both ends, Yard 2 had MT racks, and the Extension had -- west to east -- PW 2201, a gon, 2 high-side gons, a tank, and 2 covered hoppers. Dunno if the PW had set out their own home-bound power or if it was a pickup for repainting and/or reassignment.
EB, there was AY-4 hash at 0604 and later, and at 0611, there was D-3 breakage to 22K involving Keolis and 0625, followed at 0612 by D-3 telling 22K about pulling down to Slab City.
At 0614, the 333 Controlled Siding WL was at Medium Clear, 404 at the platform, and the WB marker had gotten however far west. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, a Slow Clear on the 330 1 WL. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and 0628, dark, solo, and west-facing NewBlue 310 was in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and at 0629, there was an unattributable but mebbe AY-4 advisory about 3 for the hitch.
Post refueling-stop and at 0638, there were AY-4 car countdowns, and at 0640, the the EB staggers at Derby were both at Approach, going dark a minute later, 404 being -- as will be seen -- the probable cause. The 4 company gons? Still on the RVJ stub.
At 0645, the breaking E of 404 called out a ??? on the #1 for Camp, and at 0648 the E called out a Restricting for the #1 at Camp. so probably a crossover to the 2.
There would be ongoing AY-4 car countdowns, and at 0651, the 7.8 would give a no defects. Hadn't heard the initial "checking train," so no guesses to length or lack thereof.
At 0654, D-3 OKd 22K to come along, naught further to be heard to, from, or about them.
At 0708 and after I was outta my car, there was crossing noise. Given the interval between the 7.8 no defects and the noise, I'm guessing the noise was for Burncoat.
POAY/AYPO and AY-3? Unheard by me.
 #1556609  by jaymac

0500-0655/11-13-2020 didn't start off well, this final Friday the 13th of the year. The 0501 garble on the Dispatcher side of Channel 1 was followed a minute later by the 7.8 announcing he was checking train. The 0506 view across the solar farm showed slow -- ever so slow -- WB inspection lights, but the Fates smiled at 0506 by announcing no defects. Q 427 with CSXT 3168 acknowledged the good news, and at 0507, I sailed across the crossing, the SB traffic still in the process of getting going. The Fates now seemed to get in a more sour mode, the next reception -- as will be seen -- not coming until 0547.
At 0531, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual pattern of the 334 ELs being at Stop and the 1 stagger and 335s dark accompanied by silence.
Up Da Hill the 345s were dark, and the silence was finally broken at 0547 when D-3 -- broken -- reached out to TC T669 on the Paxton antenna, any response or reaction thereto unheard. Things were a touch clearer at 0549 when D-3 answered the aforementioned Q427 with CSXT 3168, confirming they were west and clear of Burncoat by telemetry and fulfilling Form D G301 in the same minute, then wishing them a good weekend. The yard? 4 was pretty much a mix of MT racks west and general east, including some CRYO-TRANSes and covered hoppers -- 2 shorties among them -- east. 2 had general west -- boxes, Brand X gons, and a few MT racks east. The Sameoldsameold Ledger entry continued to be the undisturbed vegetation within and without the Heywood's gauge.
At 0552, D-3 again reached out to TC T669, a severely broken Form D G303 getting to me, the clarity including from Willows west on 1, Extra 7643 ahead, Line 2 and Line 3, and time effective 0555. There would be more, but Mount Wachusett was in full blockage by then.
At 0601, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs were both at Clear. The 330 1 WL showed a Slow Approach, and the FG WLs were dark, but the Fabled Little Voice said to stop by the platform. Not only was the 330 2 EL at Clear, but there was also a headlight reflecting off the wet rails to the east. KCIRs 7643 and 7528 and NewBlue 756? got POED's 46 west at 0612. There were scattered slurries, a good number of Irving centerbeams, and boxes that had a Big G among them. At 0614, D-3 and POED got into a convo. There would be a Gardner pickup -- 29 freight and 13 racks -- a roger in response.
The FG WLs were dark. Next a breaking D-3 would ask somebody about the possibility of a meet at Derby with 404 who was due to depart North Leominster at 0635. 0619 was when NewBlue 310 was seen dark, solo, and west-facing in the FI-1/2 parking spot, 0621 would produced a presumably D-2 garbled Line 12 for Middlesex Street.
0625 produced a variety of sights -- the 4 company gons on the RVJ stub and the initially dark EB staggers for Derby going to a Stop for 1 and Approach for 2 and the going to a Clear for 2. That was also the same time that "AY-4, 40 more" came outta the speaker. A minute later, a breaking D-3 -- Paxton or Gardner antenna? -- would advise POED they'd meet 22K at Gardner.
At 0640, D-3 would acknowledge TC T669 west and Clear of Camp on the 1, asking for a call when he was at Derby so he could line him up for 333. 0642 was when D-3 answered TC T669, acknowledged he'd stopped at Derby and issued Form D G304, a Line 2 in the west direction on the 2 for Derby to 333 and a Line 13 for passing Stop signals at Derby, FG, and 330, effective 0644.
The only other clear receptions were "AY-4, 10" at 0646, soon followed by "AY-4, 5."
AY-3? Dunno.
Have a non stereotypical 13th!
 #1556791  by jaymac

0502-0656/11-16-2020 had points of timing precision not normally seen, the reasons for which will be seen. The 2-minutes-later-than-usual start -- compounded by a diversion to a USPS letter drop -- got me into almost-full-rush-hour traffic, a 5-minute difference making a dramatic difference in traffic.
0502 was also the start of a D-3/AY-3 convo that would become a miniseries. D-3 said he'd start AY-3 to Camp and West Main Street, acknowledging that there were 9 more for a total of 19 Deerfields there.
At 0512, D-3 turned to FI-2, asking if their train was west of CPF-WL. If this makes it seem FI-2 was an honorary AY-5, they -- as will be seen -- were.
0513 was return-to-AY-3-time. D-3 had talked with the Chief, and mebbe they'd tie down there and get a cab, further receptions revealing that AYPO was on East Wye, so AY-3 could get no further than West Wye. Additional bits would now got hashed, D-3 saying that mebbe somebody could bring whatever "it" was over to Fitchburg, the request to follow -- you guessed it -- to hold on.
At 0519, the convo was back to FI-2. D-3 said that the FMW and 1 West showed clear, so the racks would go there. FI-2 should go up to FG and wait for 402 to get by.
At 0524, D-3 answered AY-3. Cross over to the Camp? Here we go. 8 later, D-3 would reconnect with AY-3, IDing the power as the 7627, further developments obstructed by Mount Wachusett's bulk.
At 0538, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sequence of Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness for the 334 1 stagger and 335s minus any sound effects following.
Pretty well west, D-3 called out to POED, saying they could go ahead with their update totals., rogering that, and then getting hashed again by Mount Wachusett. Guessing POED was at Ayer. 2 later, D-3 asked FI-2 if they'd called, any developments lost yet again to Mount Wachusett.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark. Yard 4 was pretty much FP-FP with MT racks, and Yard 2 had general from Chair City Oil west, and a confab of optimists was taking place in the Jade lot.
EB, there was 0601 Road-side garble on Channel 1, and at 0602, AY-4's car countdowns would come on the air. At 0605, D-3 would again reach out to FI-2, now fully qualified for a miniseries of their own. Garble would ensue and continue through 0606, the same time the 333 WLs were dark.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Approach. 0613 produced unattributable car countdowns, and the Stops on the GL WLs produced a swing by the platform, but the 330 ELs were uniformly red.
The FG WLs were dark, the shunted GL WLs probably from FI-2 not earlier east of FG. D-3 would now tell 404 to just proceed east when they got to Fitchburg, there being no shuffle or shuttle. Dunno...
0622 was when NewBlue 310 sat on the westerly end of a string of racks on West Side, and 0628 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, 4 company gons still on the RVJ stub.
The balance of the trip had only occasional static eruptions, clarity reemerging at 0655 with D-3 back on the air and giving 0656 as the fulfillment for Form D G303 to Q427.
EDPO and 22K? Naught heard to, from, to about those guys, but PAR/S radio being PAR/S radio...
 #1556904  by jaymac

0500-0650/11-18-2020 produced initial doubts about whether the scanner was working, only CSX Jacksonville to some local and 0530 garble including "AYPO" offering any proof of viability.
At 0533, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual -- and radio-silence-accompanied -- Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 334 1 stagger and 335s to follow. As proof that it has not only gotten later in the year but also colder, the slope lights on Mount Wachusett were on.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were off, but general was on Yard 2 from Chair City Oil west, a duet of coil cars and a trio of company gons on the easterly end.
How quiet was the start of the EB trip? Not even PD Gardner did its occasional override bit.
At 0600, D-3 reached out to POED with the hedzup about a pickup in Gardner -- Worcesters and Fitchburgs. At 0601, the 333 WLs were dark, and D-3 asked for a repeat, then asking if they -- POED -- could hear him better now. Dunno what antennas got swapped, but in that rarity of rarities, D-3 was equally strong to me on both. D-3 told POED that there was a Gardner pickup and that the list would be in Fitchburg, adding that he didn't want to say there was a full moon out tonight. That addendum reinforced D-3's accuracy cred.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Approach and the GL and FG WLs dark, and at 0614, NewBlue 310 sat dark, solo, and west-facing in the FI-1/2 parking spot.
At 0620, the EB staggers for Derby showed a Stop and WB headlights on 1 and a Clear on 2. KCIRs 7594 and 7797 and NewBlue75?? got 38 mostly boxes -- including a Big G -- and tanks -- including slurries -- west of the RVJ stub at 0621. POED mighta been westbound, but 4 company gons were still rust-bound on the RVJ stub.
Except for some 0626 -- thanks again, Mount Wachusett -- D-3 garble. things again went into quiet mode until 0645 when D-3 answered the fabled "somebody, " that leading to the 0646 fulfillment to Form D G301 to CSXT 7629, Q427 being west and clear of Burncoat by telemetry, a "copy that" and "good day" to follow.
AY-3, AY-4, 22K, and/or EDPO? Naught heard.
 #1557064  by jaymac

0500-0705/11-20-2020 produced some -- as will be seen -- puzzlements, not the least of which was protracted radio silence. There had been the usual crossing noises at the usual sequences either side of 0430 to suggest that Q427 was already west and the initial reception was the 0522 fulfillment of Form D G301 -- power deets lost -- cuz 427 was west and clear of Burncoat by telemetry.
0528 hash let "AY-3" escape into clarity, but naught further to, from, or about those guys would reach my scanner.
At 0529, the 333 WLs were all Stops, but naught was visible except for number boards to the east. Down in back of New England Keyboard were at least 2 units, also facing Stops. Stops were also on the 334 ELs and darkness on he 334 1 stagger and 335s, so no near-term EBs were likely.
On my way up Da Hill, there was some Dispatcher-side garble on Channel 1 at 0550, but silence would return. Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, the yard was MT, and undisturbed Heywood vegetation was the sole Sameoldsameold Ledger entry.
EB silence would get broken only at 0605 by 404 doing their air, and at 0606, the 333 WLs now showed a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding, the circuit still shunted by the WB holding clear of the ELs. There were loaded wells visible by the old steam plant, not a late 23K as will be seen.
Further east, the the 330.8 WBs showed Stops, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear, the GL WLs dark, and the 330 ELs all Stops.
Next was a a horror show attempt at refueling that took so long the 404 got to the platform as I was getting back on the road at 0625.
The dark FG WLs went to a Limited Clear for 1 at 0630, getting dropped by 404 at 0631, and at 0633, dark, solo, and west-facing NewBlue 310 was in the FI-1/2 parking spot.
0639 was when the the EB staggers for Derby went from an Approach for 1 and Stop for 2 to Approaches for both and next both dark, 404 well enough east. 0639 was also when D-3 -- sounding like he was on the Gardner antenna -- got on the air to POED, asking if they'd called, advising he was ready to copy, rogering what they said, and OKing them on signal indication. The earlier loaded wells? Trash. Oh yeah -- 4 company gons were still on the RVJ stub.
Other than a 0650 probable D-2 "There you go" to AYPO with the 7898, only Boston West and CSX would provide proof of scanner function.
AY-4, 22K, EDPO? Dunno, just dunno.
 #1557274  by jaymac

0500-0715/11-23-2020 presented some puzzlements. Initially, things were quiet until 0511 when D-3 began a series of shoutouts to AY-3 with the 7622 -- even seeming to try the Yard Channel -- until he established contact at 0517, asking how they were doing and to let him know when the switch was lined and locked normal so they could take signal indication, adding that a cab had been called for 0530, rogering whatever they said and calling himself out.
0520 was another D-3 shoutout to AY-3, this getting selectively hashed by Mount Wachusett, the clear bits being about clearing up, the pig train bringing racks to San-Vel, and -- mebbe -- a change in plans.
0523 would be a both-sides-breaking convo with 22K, power ID lost. They yarding instruction were 1, overflow to 2, and 30 (?) racks to San-Vel, the power returning to the yard. D-3 would add that there was already water on 1 and AY-3 would be in the Milling cuzza too many cars. Radio silence -- at least to me -- now became the order of things.
At 0531, the 330 1 WL showed an Approach, not cuzza an already-east EB, but cuzza EB solo NewBlue 310, which dropped it at 0532. An Approach? A coupla minutes were spent in place in case there might be a dark WB down by the ELs but naught got brighter, so I was WB to 334 where the ELs were at Stop and the 1 stagger dark.
The usual pattern did not hold at the 335s -- the ELs were at Stop, the Single WL at Stop and the Controlled Siding WL at Medium Approach Slow. Time was likewise invested there, but there was neither noise nor an increase in brightness. The rain had increased, frequently becoming like a drivethrough carwash, aiding in seeing from the lot that the 335s were still lit. Oh yeah -- the long-resident tie-handler had gone elsewhere.
On my way WB and at 0549, D-3 told 22K to take Ayer station after 402 was by, and at 0552, D-? reached out to AYPO, any further developments stepped on by a PD Gardner override.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark. Yard 4 was pretty much FP-FP -- a few racks east, a number of CRYO-TRANSes, covered hoppers, and tanks among the visibles. The easterly end of Yard 2 had 4 racks, and a pair of tables with structural steel sat on the Extension.
Post refueling stop, the EB trip was quiet until 0611 and a number of 22K car countdowns, 0614 being when 22K's E got told he had a Restricting, so the shove was about to begin. To jump ahead a bit, 22K would be the dominant audio presence until the end of listening.
A return to the 335s was made -- dark at 0616. That -- added to 404 giving themselves the OK to depart at 0620 -- led to musing about NewBlue 310's earlier sighting. Mebbe giving a WB a help up Da Hill on wet rail?
The 334 ELs were at Stop and the 1 stagger at Approach, mebbe cuz 404 had just crossed over to 1. At 0625, the 333 WLs were dark, so there was no WB in the near term.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear and the 330 WLs were at Stop. Also at Stop were the GL WLs, triggering a swing by the platform, but the 330 ELs were also at Stop, so -- again -- no WB in the near term.
The FG WLs were dark, and -- no surprise -- NewBlue 310 was dark and solo in the FI-1/2 parking spot at 0640.
At 0646, D-3 reached out to 22K, any later particulars of a possible convo unheard by me. 0647 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and 4 company gons sat on the RVJ stub.
Depending on elevation and topography, 22K would provide the only IDable audio for the balance of the trip.
AY-4? EDPO? POED? Q426/7? Dunno.
 #1557424  by jaymac

0455-0705/11-25-2020 started off with some Yard Channel hash as I was getting ready to get ready, but things would be generally quiet until 0520 when somebody started doing their air, followed at 0522 by a different voice with a "3-step," a pause, and then an "OK to test."
At 0528, the 333 WLs were all at Stop, and D-3 called out to AY-3, 0529 being when the 333 WLs went dark. Dunno what mighta happened with AY-3, but at 0530, a now-breaking D-3 engaged in a convo with FI-2, "break down the tracks" being clear. At 0532, the hash continued with D-3 advising somebody that the Grain Train was probably down in Fitchburg. 0534 was more D-3/AY-3 hash, more Yard Channel hash on toppa that.
0536 was when the 334 ELs and 1 stagger were at Stops, hinting -- wrongly, it would emerge -- that the Stops-to-darkness on the 333 WLs mighta been a WB. The 335 ELs were at Stop, the Single WL at Stop and the Controlled Siding WL at Medium Approach Slow, providing more suggestion of a WB, but no -- there was no upgrade noise, so back east. All at 334 was red, but all at 333 was dark at 0549, so mebbe 22K had been the earlier shunter and the 334 1 stagger was mebbe relay issues.
To fill in gaps between the 2 333 viewings, at 0536, there had been a probable-D-2 reception involving being lined and locked normal and a cab being called. 4 later came a hashed D-3/Grain Train convo about 54 MTs, East Side, and an OK on signal indication. That would be quickly followed by D-2, this time to POED Extra 7532 West -- D-2's phrasing -- about the BY switch being off power and to give a shout when needed. To save suspense, naught further to, from, or about POED would heard by me. It would be now D-3's time to garble, a slight change in position producing a semi-clear -- power ID lost -- Form D G301 for MP X25 to Burncoat, time effective at 0546, the earlier hash probably the fulfillment of 426's Form D.
On my way up Da Hill, D-3 241d 2 east to 2 at FG for the the EGT with the 7517. A couple later there would be a breaking shoutout to FI-2 involving Camp and signal indication.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, and Yard 2 had MT racks -- mebbe FP-FP -- with more racks and possibility other stuff on Yard 4.
Things were generally quiet on the EB trip, and at 0613, the 333 Controlled Siding showed a Medium Clear, 404 at the platform.
At 0614, D-3 started a convo with FI-2, asking about the shape of the yard -- 29 spotted and ?? pulled, seeming like FI-2 was again AY-5 by another name. D-3 gave FI-2 the OK to proceed and -- in a hint of things to come -- advised that they would be meeting 404 at Camp.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear and the GL WLs dark.
The FG WLs were dark, as well, and clear of the FG ELs, a WB TC sat beside the also-sitting KCIR 7517 and NewBlues 3402 and 604 and KCIR 7655 on the westerly end of BNSF covered hoppers. No surprise that the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT at 0630. At 0633 , D-3 would talk to the EGT, asking if he could take away their signal at FG, they agreeing. TC 1601 would now reach out to D-3 , but be told to stand by a moment.
As I was approaching the Main Street/Rte. 13 UGB, 404 came into North Leominster, 0637 being when they OKd themselves to depart. The EB staggers for Derby showed a Clear for ! and an Approach for 2, the 1 being dropped at 0638, the same time somebody talked to AY-4 about AYPO.. That 404 and FI-2 would meet at Camp and that there was an Approach on the 2 for Derby hinted that 22K might be holding at Slab City, evidence to back that to come.
At 0641, D-3 contacted TC 1601, the discussion including the pad, dirt crossing and having to boogie up to 330. all leading to a Form D G30? with a Line 2 for Track 1 between FG and 335 and a Line 3 for passing Stop signals at FG, GL, 330, and 333, time effective 0645.
0651 would be the start of clear AY-4 receptions, the usual topographical variables in play. D-3 would then answer -- again -- somebody, next giving 22K the OK to proceed east, then answering AYPO, advising that 22K was to yard first, then advising 22K that "they" wanted 22K to yard first, making it seem like a an AYPO/POED meet might happen in a coupla hours.
At 0701, D-3 would reach out to TC 1601, but the balance of audio would be AY-4, the 0705 bits being "drop the 3" and "on the pin."
There was home-heard crossing noise at 0741, but only 1 instance. Mebbe wind tricks.

An early job-briefing for 11-26-2020: Keep it safe, keep it healthy, and keep it happy!
 #1557507  by jaymac

0500-0640/11-27-2020? Bostons East and West plus AMTK would give proof of scanner function and there would be only a few occasional garbles to hint at signs of activity, but naught IDable.
At 0528, the 333 WLs were all at Stop, a minute later being dark, the timing suggesting 402. The usual sequence of Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness for the 334 1 stagger and 335s in full force.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were also dark and the yard MT. There was a wheeled excavator just south of the bus garage fence, the Sameoldsameold Ledger's undisturbed Heywood vegetation was just that, and optimists were waiting in the Jade lot.
At 0557, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, a Slow Clear on the 330 1 WL in anticipation of 404. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0610, west-facing NewBlue 310 sat dark in the FI-1/2 parking spot on the westerly end of shorties, suggesting a Lafarge pickup had been done, but what day?
At 0616, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and 4 company gons continued to rust in place on the RVJ stub.
At 0624, there was a clear, but unattributable, "4 to a stop," but naught further up to the 0640 end of listening.
22K? AY-3? AY-4? POED? Q426/7? Dunno.

See? I can keyboard shortish posts.
 #1557661  by jaymac

0500-0700/11-30-2020 was an "interesting" trip. At 0508, somebody sounded like he was doing a shoutout to D-3, but naught further got heard until 0516, the start of a number of AY-4's car countdowns, There was more AY-4 at 0527, the first part hashed and followed by shoving off to 11.
At 0531, the 333 WLs were dark, the intervals to the 334s -- ELs at Stop and 1 stagger dark -- and then to the 335s -- dark -- getting filled by more AY-4 activity.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were at Stop and the 345 1 WL at Clear, as was the yard. Before the trip west, a looks east was made and it looked like the excavator was still by the MART fence. Nothing had been visible on the Timpany Boulevard UGB, but there was general by LaChance Furniture, morphing into racks at the Wilkins Road dogleg, Wherever the power was, it was far enough east to be invisible at Garlock, and update paper working was probably in progress cuz naught would be heard to from or about the probable POED throughout the listening period, the usual caveats in effect. Something did get heard at 0548 -- D-3 reaching out to FI-2 and OKing them at 312 on signal indication, making it seem like it was another FI-2 stand-in for AY-5.
At 0555, the 346 WL was at Advance Approach, a puzzlement since the 345 1 WL had been and soon would again be seen as Clear and FI-2 was at the Willows and not Maki's.
On my way EB, there was 0604 D-3 garble giving somebody permission to enter somewhere, and at 0605 there was a scratchy and faint "EDPO," just the ID and naught following. At 0610, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear and the GL and FG WLs dark, and -- at 0625 -- the FI-1/2 parking spot MT.
Another problematic refueling attempt cost a few minutes of listening, and at 0635, the EB staggers for Derby were dark and 4 company gons remained on the RVJ stub.
Radio silence -- even from AY-4 -- remained in effect until 0650 when D-3 reached out to FI-2, first rogering and then OKing whatever FI-2 had said to him and next asking how many cars had been left on West Main Street and then giving a 1-0 roger. The convo continued -- D-3 didn't have an answer to FI-2's unheard-by-me question, but said that he'd probably find out after the Chief's call this morning and that he'd let them know.
The next 10 minutes? Radio silence. AY-3? 22K? Q426/7? Dunno.
 #1557847  by jaymac

0457-0700/12-02-2020 started off with something to, from, or about 22K, resolving itself into sometimes clear and sometimes not car countdowns, 3-steps, and other yarding details that would be audible for another 20+ minutes.
At 0517, there would be a clear "AYPO" and naught else heard to from, or, about those folks until the end of listening.
22K's activity continued, and at 0528 the 333 WLs were at Stops, going dark a minute later, a sign that 402 was east and off the block and nobody else on. 0532 produced another ID-only reception -- AY-4 -- without particulars.
The usual pattern of Stops for the 334 ELs and darkness for the 334 1 stagger and 335s was in effect, as was a period of radio-silence-to me.
The 345 ELs and WLs were at Stop, and an almost FP-FP string of general -- mostly covered hoppers -- was on Yard 2. Yard 4? Mebbe, but obscured. At 0546, radio silence got broken by D-3 hash that ended up being the fulfillment of Form D G323 to Q426. In an entry for The Annals of Confounding and Confounded Variables of Propagation, a shift of ~20' to the southeast produced a clear reception of Form D G302 to CSXT 3337 for X25 to Burncoat, time effective 0548. There followed the usual requests for updated train info -- rogered without repetition -- and a call when into DCS, acknowledgment of same not among the later heards. Power noise would be heard inside my home at 0739. No crossing noise would be heard as of 0805, but that could be wind-related. The wheeled excavator was no longer by the MART fence, ditto for any optimists in the Jade lot.
A trip west was undertaken to see the source of the 345 Stops, naught visible at LaChance, the Wilkins Road dogleg, or Parkers at 0559, not even a lit signal. At 0605, the 345s were still at Stop, more than enough time for an EB to be off the block, so mebbe relay problems or a reset to constant-on.
At 0610, D-3 reached out to somebody, the same time that Mount Wachusett interposed itself between the Paxton antenna and me. 0615 was when the 333 WLs showed Stops for 1 and 2 and a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding, 404 at the platform.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Approach. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0627, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, but only temporarily, as will be seen.
At 0630, a both-sides-audible FI-2/D-3 convo started, FI-2 wanting to go West Side to East and D-3 rogering, but delaying their move until 404 had cleared. Never heard it discussed, so dunno if FI-2 had brought racks west for later pickup. 0633 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, 404 still west. 4 company gons waited on the RVJ stub, but I was EB before 404 arrived.
A few spurts of static reached me, but as I rolled into the driveway at 0659, D-3 OKd AYPO on signal indication at CPF-AY, adding East Wye, and that was the end of things. Just guessing, but there musta been some short trains if 22K, 426/7, POAY/AYPO, and AY-4 were in the Hill Yard at the same time.
AY-3? Never heard.

OT, but if the KCIRs have already been kicked outta their home by Mother Kitty Cat, will they -- especially the NewBlues -- be going back to that adoption ward now run by WABTEC?
 #1557855  by johnhenry

In the area a few later. At 0705 3 engines from EDPO dropped their train on the 2 by LaChance and headed east light past the west switch (didn't stick around to see if they doubled back on 1 - maybe to get another half of their train up the hill?). Then at 0750 noticed POED (2 engines) waiting at 335 to head west.
 #1557856  by MEC407

jaymac wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:08 am OT, but if the KCIRs have already been kicked outta their home by Mother Kitty Cat, will they -- especially the NewBlues -- be going back to that adoption ward now run by WABTEC?
Good question. They were purchased outright from GE (now WABTEC) rather than leased; it's possible that WABTEC could buy them back, or take them as trade-ins toward the purchase of new ET44ACs; it's also possible that CSX could do a quick-and-dirty sale to an outfit like LTEX, or CSX could put them up for auction, which is what almost all of the other Class I roads do with locos that are no longer needed or wanted.
 #1558017  by jaymac

0500-0720/12-04-2020 had actual trains as visual input, although the early input was audio -- the 0507 fulfillment of Form D G315 to Q 426 with CSXT 3457 and the issuance of Form D G302 to Q427 with CSXT 3087 for MP X25 to Burncoat, time effective 0508. There was the usual request for updated train information -- acknowledged without repetition -- followed by the usual request for time into DCS, acknowledgment of that coming at 0518,
0522 was the time for D-3 hash to be served on Yard Channel, "AY-4" and "Track 11" being clear. 8 later, there would be more unattributable Yard Channel hash.
At 0534, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual sequence of Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 334 1 stagger and 335s getting some hash, as well. Almost all the way up Da Hill, D-3 answered TC T669, telling him to stand by.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were at Stop, MT racks sat on 2 on the Timpany Boulevard UGB and also on 2 from West Switch to the Jade sat cars, the wrapped centerbeams hinting at a POED. What might be left in the yard, dunno, but there were a Clear on the 345 1 WL, optimists in the Jade lot, a Northern Tree Service log-handler up against the MART fence, and -- for the Sameoldsameold Ledger entry -- undisturbed vegetation inside and out the Heywood's gauge.
A trip west was made, general being visible at LaChance Furniture and illegible power being somewhere east of the Wilkins Road dogleg.
Remember the TC T669? At 0554, D-3 tried to issue Form D G304 with a Line 2 for CPF-WL to CPF-Derby on 1 and a Line 3 for no trains or track-cars ahead -- tried cuz radio telecommunications were having issues, so D-3 couldn't get a read-back over the air, so requested a phone call. As will be seen, arrangement did get made.
At 0605, the 346 WL showed a Clear, and on my way east, the 346.6 came on at 0610, making the Jade lot -- optimists now elsewhere, but 1 in back of Chair City Oil -- my destination. The west got bright and NewBlue7561 and 604 plus an illegible KCIR got 58 onto the Single at 0619. There were full-size and shortie -- a Ciment Québec among them -- covered hoppers, a presumably-paper-service tank, RBOXs, a mix of SSEX and AEX gons, a sizable string of CHUX lidded gons, and a solo MT centerbeam.
On the EB leg of the trip, there was Mount-Wachusett-induced D-3 garble at 0623, and at 0630, the 333 WLs were dark.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 WLs at Stop, and the GL WLs dark.
At 0640, somebody -- probably FI-2, as will be soon seen -- said to change to Channel 2 so they could switch these cars. The same minute, D-3 answered EDPO, saying something about the 7561 -- the leader -- and adding that they should stop. There was more, but I had gotten into a ZombieZone, so it was lost. No further developments got heard by me.
The FG WLs were dark, and at 0643, NewBlue 310 was hauling west with shorties across from the Keolis Engineering office, and at 0646, D-3 241d TC T669 1 west to 1 at Derby in the midst of FI-2 car countdowns.
0650 was when the EB staggers for Derby showed a Stop for 1 and Approach for 2, TC T669's headlights seen to the east. Yes, 4 company gons sat on the RVJ stub.
At 0705, D-3 answered AYPO, but hash followed.
0706 was when the 7.8 came on as I was getting south outta Oakdale. It was also when "22K answering" came outta the speaker, naught further to be heard to, from, or about those guys.
Did I get stuck at the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing? You bet, until the gates went up at 0709, the no defects to follow with an acknowledgment by ST Train Q427.
Naught further got heard as of the 0720 end of listeningAY-3? Dunno.