Railroad Forums 

• CSX Croton West Yard - abandonment?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1557313  by JoshKarpoff

Today I noticed that it looks like a contractor for CSX is ripping out and scrapping all of the tracks in the Croton West Yard in Croton-on-Hudson, NY. They are torching through the rails and pulling all of the ties and placing them into piles.
Is CSX planning to completely abandon this property and/ or sell it off?
I know that they consolidated all of the locals that were dispatched from there over to the Oak Point yard a few years ago. Had zero inkling that CSX was going to do this until I saw it today
 #1557342  by DogBert

Ooooph. I wonder if they will at least keep a track or two for the occasional outlawed train?

Are there any CSX locals left on the east side of the river?
 #1557346  by Backshophoss

Croton west is an interchange point to/ From MN Harmon yard for equipment sent to/returned from outside contractors, CSX still needs a place to bury "Dead on Law" Road Freights and new equipment deliveries
 #1557351  by VRSfan

To counter NY's obscene property taxes railroads will reduce physical plant to the bare minimum.
I'm surprised that CSX hasn't found a way to close or at least minimize Selkirk.
 #1557365  by Shortline614

From what I've read elsewhere, this yard was mainly used for handling traffic to and from the GM plant in nearby Tarrytown. The plant closed in 1996, and the yard has been mostly used for storage since. Seems to me that the yard could have been ripped out 20 years ago with no problem.
 #1557503  by AMK0123

A few years back CSX still had a need for a yard in Croton. Beside using it for interchange with Metro North, CSX still had a handful of customers on the upper Hudson. Between a scrap dealer that loaded in Poughkeepsie in the old CNE yard. They also had Burnwell in Peekskill and Chelsea lumber in New Hamburg. They would run midday north several days a week (train symbol B749) and on the overnight run up the New Haven line and Harlem line to Ace Endico (train symbol B750) with a pair of ex-Conrail GP38-2. They would also hold extra Waste Management cars in Croton as well as the occasional outlawed train that the local would then run to Oak Point after MN's morning rush. So, yes while it wasn't nearly as busy as when GM was open, it was still pretty full from time to time and did serve a purpose. But now that the CSX local has moved to Oak Point and all the customers on the Hudson line are gone (the one exception is Chelsea lumber, and due to the switch is now being handled, both loads and empties by road train Q704, northbound) I can see why there is now no need for all the yard track and can probably be handled by 1, maybe 2 tracks for a rare outlawed train or MN transfer as previously stated...