Railroad Forums 

• CSX track replacement-Forks Fire Station Cheektowaga

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1495756  by SST

https://i.postimg.cc/pdw8qbY4/IMG-1172.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an iPhone Panoramic shot. It is 180 degrees wide.

I am standing in the parking lot nearest the signal at the entrance. The extreme left is the CSX mainline bridge over Dick Rd [Amtrak] Looking north. The Tim Horton sign in the middle of the photo is pretty much due east. You can't see the bridge in this photo. But, the bridge is located between the three pine trees and the building. The rails are slightly visible so if a train goes over the bridge, you'll see it. Looking at the building and to the extreme right of the photo, is the treeline up against the NS ROW. If a train passes by, you'll see it. Not sure about summertime though. [Does the DL&W still operate?]

I did walk inside. Again, the brush blocks the view of the bridge but you can see the rails so again if a train goes over the bridge, you'll see it. But the 3 pine trees block a portion of the viewing area after the bridge.

For me, I won't likely go there unless I know a train is coming or I get a good parking spot and watch both.

On other viewings today, I stopped by the Frontier Yard. Pretty darn quiet and nearly empty. I then drove over to the Bison Yard at the Harlem Rd bridge. They are a bit more sectioned off so it was kinda difficult to determine how busy NS is. They had 5 tracks of autorack. Couldn't tell if they were loading or unloading. The stack trailer area seemed to be somewhat busy as 4 or 5 trailers were brought it. Saw one forklift operating. I did see a faded red caboose up against a building. Don't know the markings. Overall, NS looked busier.
 #1557494  by SST

I was driving east on Broadway from Union. As I got closer to TH, I look into the trees and to my surprise, I see NS and a long line of autoracks moving east. I immediately head for TH to catch the view.

I parked in the middle of the parking lot facing south.[ The clearing in the pic I posted above is still the same in this pic below.] So I sit and wait for NS....wait some more......a little more....geez where the hell is he. Finally I see him through the trees creeping along and then he comes to a stop.....and not in the clearing in front of me. I wait for him to move so I can get a picture. Then I notice the front door is open and see the interior lights [LED]. He ain't movin. So I snapped a couple of pics to give perspective. If you know the skd of NS and they are on time, this will be a good place for an up front view.

This is a zoomed in pic. He is actually just west of the Valvoline oil change:
https://i.postimg.cc/dthcFqbF/IMG-2385-1.jpg

This is a panoramic pic which shows you the clearing on the left and the NS unit buried in trees to the right:
https://i.postimg.cc/sg58f1Kk/IMG-2386-1.jpg