Railroad Forums 

• Caboose in Salamanca sighted from Rt. 219

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1494769  by SST

On my way home from Dubois, Pa along 219, I crossed over the abandoned line [don't recall who operated it] in Salamanca and, as always, I looked down the ROW [looking east]. To my surprise, there is/was a caboose parked there. Never saw it there before. Even with the leaves off the trees it was hard to differentiate between the trees and the caboose. The color was something like a pale yellow. I didn't stop to get details.

Looking at Google, there is no caboose parked on the wye. I was actually surprised that the rails went as deep into the trees as it shows. Street view showed nothing but heavy trees. Does the B&P own/operate with a caboose? Perhaps as a shove unit? I would guess that the distance from the caboose to 219 is less than 300 feet.
 #1494774  by scottychaos

Two BPRR cabooses listed here:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList ... BPRR&cid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photos show them both mostly hanging around Butler, but one could have traveled north for some reason..

Scot
 #1557493  by SST

I recently came through Salamanca and stopped for cheaper gas. The caboose is still sitting in the same spot. Trees are beginning to cover it up. Its yellow body was blending in with the yellowing leaves of Fall. It would probably stick out more now that the leaves have fallen. I don't think this has moved since the original post although I can't verify it.
 #1557552  by EMTRailfan

dj_paige wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:31 pm I don't see the caboose. Where is it in the aerial photo?
It's at the start of the Salamanca Branch, just clear of the switch of the wye at the corner of Morningside and Sullivan.
 #1557594  by Fireman43

One of many " buried in the trees" cars I can find all over.

Brings up a couple locations in my old stomping grounds I remembered.
I see these cars still sitting on a spur at the Y of the Ontario Midland I'll call the Newark Branch and the Hojak just east of Sodus, Wayne County.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2184403 ... !1e3?hl=en

OK. I also remember but can't find now -was a funky looking red tanker with 3 hatches on it - remembered it being on a spur along the Hojak - was it Ontario???? Had bushes growing all over it.

Unsure now what thread I saw it posted years ago . search goes on.
Mark