Railroad Forums 

• Barnegat Branch Division/Toms River Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1557234  by JohnFromJersey

I can't find much info or pictures on this line, which ran all the way from Toms River down to Beachwood. Pretty long and isolated line that there is not much remnants of anymore, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any information or pictures they would like to share.
 #1557253  by R&DB

John;
The branch was the extension of the Toms River Railroad(TRRR) to Barnegat. It was operated and became part of CNJ. The remains of the TRRR is now Conrail's TRIT from Lakehurst to Toms River. The line had passenger service to Barnegat until 1953, and freight until 1972 when the line was abandoned below the Ciba-Geigy turnout. You can find the route by looking for the "Barnegat Branch Trail" which is on the old roadbed. As CharlieL said, It brought in most of the material to build the Forked River nuke plant.
 #1557270  by NY&LB

Trail of the Blue Comet has a good number of pictures including most stations.

Rare book but occasionally one will show up on ebay at a decent price, right now there is one at $300 which is WAY TOO MUCH but I have seen them go for half that price. It is over 400 pages and a MUST for serious collectors.
 #1557303  by CJPat

You can try looking in the Ocean County Library for a cop of Trail of the Blue Comet. I was able to take it out may, many years ago so i don't know if it is still on the shelves. Very popular/well used. Check on-line to see which Branch may be carrying it or whether they can get it to your local branch.

Such a fantastic book, I was able to find an original copy thru this website from one of the other posters. Book is still in it's original plastic. It's a keeper.
 #1557417  by JohnFromJersey

NY&LB wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 am Trail of the Blue Comet has a good number of pictures including most stations.

Rare book but occasionally one will show up on ebay at a decent price, right now there is one at $300 which is WAY TOO MUCH but I have seen them go for half that price. It is over 400 pages and a MUST for serious collectors.
300 dollars!!!!????? How many copies were made?
 #1557419  by NY&LB

THE TRAIL OF THE BLUE COMET was published by The West Jersey Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, in 1994. Not sure how many were printed. The folklore is that the plates were destroyed after printing. I believe the original price was $79. Not sure what the print run was.
Like I said, the $300 one on ebay is priced too high and it has been up there for a long time. One sold for $149 on Nov 4th and another for $84 (A REAL BARGAIN) on Sep 20.
Watch ebay and you might find another bargain priced one.