Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1557159  by nyandw

I've added so recent photos of the new KO Yard Facility here at the page bottom:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Ronkon ... onkoma.htm

New KO Yard 11/18/2020 Photo/Archive: Robert Myers and he indicates:
The old yard was 9 tracks, later 11...not sure now but it appears that another 9 or 10 have been added south of the "old" yard...it is hard to tell and for that I apologize. the yard runs east to west and the tracks north to south...
Main
South track
Zero track
1-9 in order after that...then all the new tracks. East end of yard has a small engine lay up track that almost abuts Knickerbocker Avenue, extreme east end of yard...third rail ends at Knickerbocker.

1. Any updates on the track numbering?

The last track map I have is the LIRR 1986

2. Are there newer diagrams that can be posted?
 #1557182  by Pensyfan19

Great progress on the yard! Looks like it'll be ready to open soon. Before the lockdown, I used to pass by the yard often and see it develop, and maybe catch something rare in the yard such as the Darth Vader Snowplow. When is the extended yard expected to open?
 #1557344  by Backshophoss

With Divide remoted to JSCC,KO Yard is now controlled by JSCC
 #1557396  by gamer4616

I did hear of DIVIDE tower closing and it being controlled from JCC (Jamaica Central Control). I was hearing this time frame (December 2020), but it hasn't happened yet. There would be a notice put out to employees when that occurs. We would have to make changes in our timetables.

Jamaica Central Control, abbreviated JCC (not JSCC), is located in the Airtrain building in Jamaica.
 #1557415  by ExCon90

At KO 2, what does R in a circle mean on signals 1E and 2E?
 #1557454  by 452 Card

Train order signal, call Divide when flashing for train orders or clearance cards when entering 251 manual block territory. And by the way, this is NOT "Dark Territory". The manual block fixed signals preclude that, even though they are not controlled by an operator. They are simply permanently lit to govern the block(s) they control. Dark territory is, on other railroads, used as an avenue of "track rights" by a remote controlling office on either end of a specific section. No fixed or illuminated signals present in those areas.
 #1557468  by ExCon90

452, thanks for the explanation. So. does the R on the drawing stand for Red?
 #1557483  by 452 Card

Ja, das blinkenlights blitzen rot.
 #1557516  by Pensyfan19

452 Card wrote:Ja, das blinkenlights blitzen rot.
Translated from German to English on Google Translate, the statement means "Yes, the blinkenlights flash red."
 #1557748  by ExCon90

452 Card wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:15 am Ja, das blinkenlights blitzen rot.
Vielen Dank!
 #1557839  by MNCRR9000

I happened to come across a diagram on the MTA website from one of the board meetings
nyandw wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:32 pm I've added so recent photos of the new KO Yard Facility here at the page bottom:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Ronkon ... onkoma.htm

New KO Yard 11/18/2020 Photo/Archive: Robert Myers and he indicates:
The old yard was 9 tracks, later 11...not sure now but it appears that another 9 or 10 have been added south of the "old" yard...it is hard to tell and for that I apologize. the yard runs east to west and the tracks north to south...
Main
South track
Zero track
1-9 in order after that...then all the new tracks. East end of yard has a small engine lay up track that almost abuts Knickerbocker Avenue, extreme east end of yard...third rail ends at Knickerbocker.

1. Any updates on the track numbering?

The last track map I have is the LIRR 1986

2. Are there newer diagrams that can be posted?