Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1555766  by Silverliner II

photobug56 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:18 pm If the 1,2,3 connection is eliminated, then track one to the Lex #6 will be the only way out of there? Just wondering, with only 2 tracks across going forward, how will track '2' transfer to track 1 when it's time to switch trains out via the Lex?
To quote an answer to this part of your question from a few posts above....
checkthedoorlight wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:02 pm At the end of this project, track 3 will become a spur/storage track, while tracks 1 and 4 have the capacity for 6 car trains (will eventually be 6 car R188 units, may actually be 6 car single-unit R62A until CBTC is up and running). There will be new switches (not hand throws anymore) which will allow trains to move between 1 3 and 4 track at the Grand Central end.
 #1555897  by STrRedWolf

Questions of clarification...

The track from the IRT 7th Ave (1/2/3) Track 4 to shuttle track 4 is being removed? Initial design from MTA was that the Times Square end was to be an island platform, which could still allow a move back to the 7th Ave line.

And to be sure, shuttle track 1 will still be connected via track 1S to the Lexington Ave/Park Ave line (4/5/6)?
 #1555979  by GirlOnTheTrain

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:21 am Questions of clarification...

The track from the IRT 7th Ave (1/2/3) Track 4 to shuttle track 4 is being removed? Initial design from MTA was that the Times Square end was to be an island platform, which could still allow a move back to the 7th Ave line.

And to be sure, shuttle track 1 will still be connected via track 1S to the Lexington Ave/Park Ave line (4/5/6)?
'

Basically the current track layout is being floored over and the area where it makes the connection to the 7th Avenue line is going to be a new mezzanine/fare control area. They're not going to leave the switch in place because that means they'd have to waste money, time, resources, etc to maintain it. 1 and 4 are going to end in bumper blocks.
 #1555980  by GirlOnTheTrain

photobug56 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:18 pm Related questions - the public posts about what they are doing are both vague and circular. One of my interests is handicapped access at GCT, which currently (if you can get on and off a shuttle) requires going all the way from the shuttle to the Lex station and hoping to find working elevators to where you are going, easily going a block or more out of your way. How will this work when the project is finished? My own personal issue - I can use escalators OK, but steps can be hard. Will there finally be escalators from the shuttle concourse up into GCT? And are there any documents to see beyond the pretty art that MTA posted, that will give a good understanding of the project?
The entrance into One Vanderbilt has an elevator, so that won't be a problem once that opens to the public.
 #1555994  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:35 pm All tracks on the east end(Times SQ) get bumper blocks,all equipment swaps happen on the west end(GCT) Via Lex Ave line IRT
Times Square is west of Grand Central Terminal. I think you got it swapped there.
 #1556066  by Jeff Smith

flexliner wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:09 am Will any of track 3 further in the tunnel be used as storage? Will some of 3 remain as part of the 4 to 1 crossover or will the crossover be totally new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From page 2:
At the end of this project, track 3 will become a spur/storage track, while tracks 1 and 4 have the capacity for 6 car trains
 #1556957  by MattW

Does CBTC mean ATO in this case? If not, then why go to all that effort? It seems this system could work on the subway equivalent of "one train working" since each line is pretty well isolated.
 #1556975  by STrRedWolf

CBTC here is the new signaling standard, which essentially is "radio-signaled blocks". It'll be kinda ATO but not no-operator ATO. The entire system is switching over to it since parts are on very old tech. The Shuttle is the oldest!
 #1557053  by Silverliner II

MattW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:08 pm I guess then my question becomes, why does the 42nd st shuttle need blocks at all? Will the CBTC improve train handling or efficiency?
Considering that it's one train moving back and forth on each track, I questioned that as well. But with the involvement of the new crossovers between #1, #3 (Storage) and #4 tracks, now there is an interlocking involved (not to mention the connection to the Lexington), and CBTC will prevent overspeed incidents in the same manner as the old timed signals approaching each end.... no slamming into bumper blocks at speed....
 #1557117  by STrRedWolf

Silverliner II wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 am Considering that it's one train moving back and forth on each track, I questioned that as well. But with the involvement of the new crossovers between #1, #3 (Storage) and #4 tracks, now there is an interlocking involved (not to mention the connection to the Lexington), and CBTC will prevent overspeed incidents in the same manner as the old timed signals approaching each end.... no slamming into bumper blocks at speed....
To be clear, there's always been an interlocking at Grand Central. They're adding onto it. Given the age of the equipment, it's a good time to put in CBTC.