Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1556753  by edflyerssn007

So I am hoping to spur some discussion about LIRR upgrades, particularly in Suffolk County that would help improve mobility and access. These ideas include track upgrades (double track, realignments, 3rd rail) as well as upgrades for capacity (signalling, new engines/rolling stock.)

My wish list includes refurbishing the c3's, a c-5 order that allows for full summer service, electrification and double track through Patchogue and possibly even farther. Additional diesel/dual-mode engines to make it happen Double tracking on the main line to Riverhead along with an additional station in North Shirley. Increased service east of Ronk as well as east of Speonk. The population is growing and could better served by more intra-island commuting options.
 #1556756  by Pensyfan19

The LIRR is currently working on purchasing 10 new dual-mode locomotives and 20 (I believe single level) coaches for the diesel routes, as well as installing the third rail to Port Jeff, Patchogue, and maybe Yaphank.

Some other restorations I would like to see are the Wading River Branch (possibly a shuttle service), the Sag Harbor Branch, numerous stations along the Montauk and Greenport Branches such as Mastic-Shirley, Jamesport, Shinnecock Hills, Manorville, etc., and the North-South streetcar (or light rail) lines. Such examples would include a light rail along Route 112 and 110 from Patchogue to Port Jeff and Amityville to Huntington, respectively.
 #1556771  by photobug56

10 dual modes (they need dozens more just to replace the worn out junk they have now plus a couple dozen just to have enough), single level coach makes no sense, and 3rd rail, I'm guessing, is at least 50 years away plus another 50 to double track! :-)
 #1556772  by photobug56

I would also like Wading River back, connected farther east to another branch as originally intended. Plus viable north-south connections and itnerchanges.
 #1556827  by Crabman1130

photobug56 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:05 pm 10 dual modes (they need dozens more just to replace the worn out junk they have now plus a couple dozen just to have enough), single level coach makes no sense, and 3rd rail, I'm guessing, is at least 50 years away plus another 50 to double track! :-)
They could be used in Grand Central.
 #1556861  by Jeff Smith

Wading River piqued my interest as I'm only passingly familiar with it. So I did some research: http://www.lirrhistory.com/wading.html and http://www.lirrhistory.com/nov2006/wadingpanorama1.jpg

I'm sure much of the ROW has been encroached on since it's been 81 years, but it does look like it would be useful. Unfortunately it would probably take more money and years of study to rebuild when there are other priorities.

One of our members has a good write up on the branch: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/wading ... verext.htm

I would think electrification completion to Port Jeff would be huge. I like the idea of improving Ronk to Riverhead. Whether or not that should include electrification or double-tracking I don't know. As for Patchogue, on the Montauk/Babylon line, yes. I always thought the station there was a huge waste. There's a passing track that should have a platform. Patchogue has grown quite a bit, with new residential development very near the station.
 #1556919  by edflyerssn007

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 am Wading River piqued my interest as I'm only passingly familiar with it. So I did some research: http://www.lirrhistory.com/wading.html and http://www.lirrhistory.com/nov2006/wadingpanorama1.jpg

I'm sure much of the ROW has been encroached on since it's been 81 years, but it does look like it would be useful. Unfortunately it would probably take more money and years of study to rebuild when there are other priorities.

One of our members has a good write up on the branch: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/wading ... verext.htm
The Wading River Row is mostly intact as it is being used for high tension power lines.

Patchogue has a ton of potential and is only a remnant of what it used to be. Most of the ROW to patchogue is big enough for double track as is, including the bridges over creeks.
I would think electrification completion to Port Jeff would be huge. I like the idea of improving Ronk to Riverhead. Whether or not that should include electrification or double-tracking I don't know. As for Patchogue, on the Montauk/Babylon line, yes. I always thought the station there was a huge waste. There's a passing track that should have a platform. Patchogue has grown quite a bit, with new residential development very near the station.
 #1556931  by Kelly&Kelly

We would love to see the old Creedmoor Branch (Central RR of LI) reconnect with Flushing, so trains from the eastern branches could bypass Jamaica via Floral Park and Flushing...
 #1556967  by MACTRAXX

...and overcoming Long Island and Queens NIMBY and BANANA mentalities for projects such as the revival
of the 11 mile Port Jefferson-Wading River Branch and any Creedmoor-Port Washington Branch connector.
(For those who do not know: BANANA stands for "Build Absolutely Nothing Anyplace Near Anyone"

New and added equipment for the LIRR Diesel routes should be added in this decade:
The new three-agency dual mode locomotives along with multilevel cars can be a start.
The C3 cars - which are in their early 20s age wise - should be useable for another 20 years
with an overhaul and/or rebuild when it becomes necessary.

Improvements such as adding a second track 3.3 miles from Y Interlocking to Patchogue
along with electrifying the Central Branch (a LIRR President Phil Eng priority in terms of any
future electrification projects) can be good first examples going forward in the 2020s...MACTRAXX
 #1556997  by Jeff Smith

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am ...
Improvements such as adding a second track 3.3 miles from Y Interlocking to Patchogue
along with electrifying the Central Branch (a LIRR President Phil Eng priority in terms of any
future electrification projects) can be good first examples going forward in the 2020s...MACTRAXX
Not that it's all that reliable, but according to Wiki, it was supposed to be part of the 20-24 Capital Plan (presumably with committed funds): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_B ... Rail_Road)
As part of the 2020-2024 MTA Capital Program, the Central Branch is proposed to be electrified with third rail. This will alleviate service disruptions by allowing electric trains to travel between the Ronkonkoma and Babylon Branches, which are both electrified.[7] If implemented, this project would mark the first LIRR electrification project since the Ronkonkoma Branch in 1985-1987.
The article mentions two former stations on the 7m branch: South Farmingdale and Breslau. I think Mile-a-Minute Murphy would be disappointed :P.

At 7m, it can't be all that expensive to electrify.
 #1557142  by newkirk

Kelly & Kelly wrote: We would love to see the old Creedmoor Branch (Central RR of LI) reconnect with Flushing, so trains from the eastern branches could bypass Jamaica via Floral Park and Flushing...
I believe that most of what remains of the old Creedmoor branch has been developed.
 #1557227  by west point

AS someone from afar who has used LIRR is the past here is my take. it i better to take what ever electrification would cost and extend 2 main tracks as far as possible with maybe an extra siding within 5 miles of the end of the line. Net time keeping would be nearly the same. However future capacity would be readily increased where as single tracking has year(s) of delay to increase capacity.,