Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1556587  by sinnere

I didn't want to create a post for such a silly/minuscule question but my curiosity has outweighed my rational thinking..

Are passengers allowed to sit in the cabs of the M7s/M9s that aren't in use? Saw a rider do this the other day on a train that had plenty of seats available.
 #1556590  by John_Perkowski

Long, long, long ago, yes.

Today, NWIH. You'd have to own a couple million of LIRR/MTA's debt to get that privilege.
 #1556652  by Ridgefielder

sinnere wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:37 pm I didn't want to create a post for such a silly/minuscule question but my curiosity has outweighed my rational thinking..

Are passengers allowed to sit in the cabs of the M7s/M9s that aren't in use? Saw a rider do this the other day on a train that had plenty of seats available.
You can't sit in the "cab" per se-- the Engineer's seat on the right-hand side. You *can* sit on the folding seat on the left-hand side that would be in the fireman's position when the cab was configured for use-- when the door was folded across the aisle to close off the end of the car. I sit there all the time when the train's a bit crowded-- lots of people don't know about it. Light's not great at night or in the tunnel, but otherwise it's a nice private seat.
 #1556681  by GirlOnTheTrain

Pre-Rona on crowded New Haven line trains I would sit in that seat just for some peace and quiet. A little space from annoying frat bros or kids screaming like banshees on weekend trains ;)

I've never once been kicked out of that seat, if it was a problem a conductor would make you move.
 #1556682  by Backshophoss

With the M-1's and M-2's the cab door swung like a RDC door so a seat could be had if the door was swung against the controls and locked,cramped as the left side was ,right side was more cramped
 #1556689  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I will second BSH and mention that it was a rarely-used option to close the cab door over the operating
controls on LIRR M1 and M3 cars. Since cab areas were used by crew members to work out of and to store their
own personal property the operating compartment was normally off limits to passengers.

On the LIRR M7/M9 cars the full-width cab door is normally kept closed - but on rare occasions either the front or
rear end is closed over half with the left-side "observer" seat open and useable - the times I remember this being
available was at the back of the train in my travels. The MNCR M7/M8 looks to be the same type of cab use.

The person the OP may have seen could well have been a MNCR (management?) employee...MACTRAXX
 #1556713  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:21 am It was a rarely-used option to close the cab door over the operating controls on LIRR M1 and M3
cars.
This is also done regularly on the NJT Arrows, as the door is folded over the control stand when not in use.

The PATH PA5s also have an offside seat in the full cab, as with the rebuilt PATCO cars. These are crew only.
 #1556752  by sinnere

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Pre-Rona on crowded New Haven line trains I would sit in that seat just for some peace and quiet. A little space from annoying frat bros or kids screaming like banshees on weekend trains ;)

I've never once been kicked out of that seat, if it was a problem a conductor would make you move.
Just to clarify this is the engineer's seat or were you referring to the previous post of the fireman's seat?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1556786  by sinnere

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Obviously the fireman's seat - they're not going to leave the engineer's cab open to the public.
They actually do. This seems to be a normal routine on the lines I've ridden on (Harlem and Hudson). On every run I've been on, the door to the engineer's cab/controls were left open with the exception of the cars cut off from passengers. Whether going towards GC or up north.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Last edited by sinnere on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1557209  by RearOfSignal

Simply put, NO, passengers cannot sit in the cabs (the non-jump seat side). Passengers can sit in the jump seat other than in the operating cab so long as the conductor doesn't need to use it to operate the doors. The engineer is required to have the operating cab in the full cab position, so no passengers can't sit there either.