Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1556312  by Backshophoss

Remember LIRR was a ward of the PRR,and could only get equipment on the 2nd hand market,Unless parent PRR transferred equipment to LIRR
That how B&M, and Mopac cars landed on the roster.
 #1556314  by Twin Forks NRHS

Backshophoss wrote:Remember LIRR was a ward of the PRR,and could only get equipment on the 2nd hand market,Unless parent PRR transferred equipment to LIRR
That is 100% true. That practice of buying 2nd hand only started however because the LIRR was flat broke by the 1950's. The practice of buying equipment second hand continued early into the MTA era with the purchase of coaches from the EL, KCS, FEC and a few others in the late 1960's. Even with that, most of the P72s that replaced those lightweight cars were old electric cars turned into diesel hauled cars.
Most of the equipment from PRR was built new for the LIRR however in the 1930s and 1940's.
The Missouri Pacific Cabooses and P&LE boxcar in our collection was never owned by the LIRR.
 #1558236  by PlaneLoverA380

Hello everyone! I haven't heard from RMLI and Don Fisher in a while, what's going on at the Railroad Museum Of Long Island? Just wondering. Thanks!
 #1558263  by n2qhvRMLI

PlaneLoverA380 and all Gentle Forum Members, the Railroad Museum of Long Island has been weathering the storm of 2020. Forced to close in March, we were unable to celebrate our 30th Anniversary or our award of an Absolute Charter from the New York State Education Department. All of our special events and outreach programs had to be cancelled and five of our closest friends and active members were lost to us.

2020 has taken a heavy toll. But we are not to be defeated! Through it all, the active membership of the Railroad Museum of Long Island stepped up to the plate to reimagine our place – and successfully worked to salvage this year at the Museums.

As part of "New York Forward" - Phase I, we were able to open the Riverhead gift shop to the public on June 13th. Museum Members returned the following week to work-sessions on Tuesdays at Riverhead and Wednesday evenings at Greenport. We limited attendance to no more than twenty-five people and everyone wore masks and maintained a distance of six feet unless we had to put many shoulders to the wheel! Work picked up where we left off in March. New exhibits were finished, discovery and cataloguing resumed in the Library. The gift shop came to life and expanded its presence on e-Bay to promote sales to support the Museums - our bills still need to be paid! Slowly, the rhythm and hum of the Railroad Museum of Long Island could be heard again.

We created an Infectious Disease Protocol to guide us in safely opening the Museums and we were ready for Phase IV of “New York Forward” on July 18th when we reopened to the public. There are changes to the experience this year, but nothing that limits a day of railroading at the RMLI. We wear masks and social distance. Visitors follow markings on our floors and don’t move into the next “block” until the folks ahead move out! In accordance with “interactive exhibit guidelines,” we removed the eighty-three accessory buttons from around the Historic Lionel Layout and we don’t open the GP-38 simulator to visitors. Passengers on the G-16 park train are separated from each other by an empty seat and we encourage everyone to wash their hands and use the hand sanitizers we have around the buildings. Our visitors and members have gladly complied with all of the new rules and safety regulations and we have enjoyed an average of fifty-five people visiting the Museums each day we have been open!

Capitalizing on our open space at Riverhead, we erected our big top tent to provide outdoor, open-air distanced dining for our members on work days and exhibit space for visiting train clubs during the month of September. On Columbus Day weekend we utilized our tents to provide open-air distanced space for a mini railroad flea market and swap meet. This not only gave our visitors a chance to experience something more each weekend but it gave our railroading friends and colleagues an opportunity to safely meet and show during these difficult times.

At both Greenport and Riverhead we experienced many new, first-time visitors who have recently moved into our area from New York City and beyond. And a “Tip O’ the Hat” with a hearty THANK YOU to our volunteers who have averaged nineteen members at each Tuesday work session and ten docent-members on each day the Museums have been open to the public.

Sadly, due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, we had to cancel our 2020 Holiday Open Houses with Santa at Greenport and Riverhead. For the safety of our visitors and our volunteers we will maintain a lower impact visiting environment with physical distancing and wearing of face masks in effect as our Riverhead Museum site remains open on Saturdays throughout the month of December. Special Holiday admission pricing will be in effect throughout the month.

Along with every organization in America, the RMLI is looking forward to a resolution of the COVID-19 pandemic and all the limitations that we have to endure. We hope for a 2021 that becomes more “normal” with each passing month. We will take it day by day and follow the recommendations and directives of our Health Officials. We wish each and every Forum Member safety and good health during this Holiday Season and into the New Year!
 #1558325  by n2qhvRMLI

PlaneLoverA380,

Here is a complete list and layout of all the railcars "across the street."

KEY:
RMLI = Railroad Museum of Long Island,
NRHS = Twin Forks Chapter NRHS,
OBRM = Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.

Which cars might you have a question about?
Don
(753.45 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by n2qhvRMLI on Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1558338  by n2qhvRMLI

PlaneLoverA380,

The three passenger cars will never move in revenue service. They will always be static display cars. We occasionally open the two stainless steel M1's to Museum visitors and they are frequently used for film and video projects. The P-72 has had its electric circuits switched to "shore power" so we can get lights on in the car. Currently the car has removable shelving in it for storage of Museum artifacts and materials that are not effected by temperature change. As a work/storage car we do not open it to the public.

Don
 #1558416  by PlaneLoverA380

Thanks for the info Don! I went out to Riverhead a few weeks ago and saw your equipment. I also saw the double decker car. According to your map I think its number 200? Are there any plans for that? Are you guys doing anything to that car?
 #1558425  by nyandw

PlaneLoverA380 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:29 pm Thanks for the info Don! I went out to Riverhead a few weeks ago and saw your equipment. I also saw the double decker car. According to your map I think its number 200? Are there any plans for that? Are you guys doing anything to that car?

Yes, ID is #200
LIRR #200 Doubledecker car built in 1932 Photo: Mike McDermet 08/02/08
 #1558510  by REM3Night

Twin Forks NRHS wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:00 pm
Backshophoss wrote:Remember LIRR was a ward of the PRR,and could only get equipment on the 2nd hand market,Unless parent PRR transferred equipment to LIRR
That is 100% true. That practice of buying 2nd hand only started however because the LIRR was flat broke by the 1950's. The practice of buying equipment second hand continued early into the MTA era with the purchase of coaches from the EL, KCS, FEC and a few others in the late 1960's. Even with that, most of the P72s that replaced those lightweight cars were old electric cars turned into diesel hauled cars.
Most of the equipment from PRR was built new for the LIRR however in the 1930s and 1940's.
I think you have to look at the different eras:
1910 - most cars were new as they were replacing the wood cars with steel to be used in the tunnels to Penn.
at the end of PRR control I guess that much of the equipment were hand me downs
Under the MTA when the used cars from NYC, EL, KCS, FEC, etc. were being purchased by the LIRR - there was an equipment shortage on the LIRR and many of the cars being purchased were cheaply priced as the other railroads were getting out of the passenger business and no longer needed the cars.
Ray