Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1556268  by bostontrainguy

GP40MC1118 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:08 pm NS filed this today with the STB: https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 301267.pdf
So is this indicating that CSX is going to buy Pan Am east of Ayer?

Still might be that PAR ends up a joint CSX/NS railroad. STB just tells them to play nice and they come up with this radical idea of a New England version of Conrail. STB says sounds good to us . . . go for it.
 #1556272  by newpylong

No, they're trying to sell both railroads to CSXT. Not just east of Ayer, and it's not a done deal. NS is trying to cover it's bases should this actually come to fruition.
 #1556289  by bostontrainguy

Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (627.41 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Just needed to dig into my files and resurrect the June 30, 1985 proposal on the acquisition of CONRAIL by Norfolk Southern which included the expansion of Guilford all the way to St. Louis. Interesting to see what could have been. Now instead of Guilford reaching west to Illinois, Norfolk Southern maybe reaching east to Maine.

UPDATE: It's CSX!!! At least that's the initial move. Can see this evolving into my joint-venture prediction.

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... m-railways

Whatever happens here, it's a huge move and step forward for railroading in New England.
Attachments:
(565.04 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
 #1556295  by Cowford

Given the voting done here in late August and the disparity between projections and results in this year's presidential election, I've lost all faith in polling. :P
Attachments:
Vote.JPG
Vote.JPG (50.65 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
 #1556307  by CN9634

Without a doubt, CSX has a strategy and plan to work through the STB waters... and I'm thinking that CSX may be trying to force a move with NS to lock up their fate and push them to put up some cash they may not be wanting to at the moment.

My understanding in hearing about this last week (which I really shrugged off as 'sure ok') was CSX was seeking a connection into Saint John as well as portfolio expansion into forest products in the Northeast. If that were to be true, I think this forces CP into trying to lock up ownership of their own fate from Brownville Jct to Saint John, NB to prevent a third alternative SJ to Chicago single-carrier routing... especially with CP reliance on CSX and NS rights to bridge Chicago with Ontario at the moment.

Interesting times-- in any other year I'd get a good kick out of this but you could just never make this one up!
 #1556311  by roberttosh

I'm not so sure that CP can buy out the Irving roads and just unilaterally cancel ST's haulage into Saint John, nor do I think that the Irvings would want give up their main connection into the Eastern US.
 #1556313  by Shortline614

Better for the Irvings to playoff CN, CP, and whoever gets Pan Am...
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1556316  by newpylong

Folks, this is a plausible outcome but these articles are simply regurgitations of a what-if STB filing. Not even an STB filing requesting approval of a transaction. CSXT was one of many to tour the property, of course they are interested. Pump the brakes and realize what CSXT wants and what they get may be different. There are still multiple parties at the table.
Last edited by newpylong on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1556318  by Gilbert B Norman

It appears that if today's events "shake out" with both Chessie and Topper reaching Boston area on their own rails and everything East of there a "Shared Assets" arrangement, then that Rails and Ports publication, derided around here as a fake news rag, either "got awful lucky" throwing darts or had a "scoop" when they observed that Executrain joyriding about the System.
 #1556334  by Gilbert B Norman

Must say I'm surprised that this tender offer/voting trust of Chessie's, and the quite predictable Topper "jumping the paddock fence", has not made more of a "splash" in general circulation media.

Neither the Journal nor The Times , to date., has any reportage - print or web - of this event.

Along with everyone else around here who has been following this saga. I'm surprised.

During '58, when the NYC-PRR merger was first proposed, such was front page lead article in The Times.

Horrifying how "out of sight, out of mind" the industry has become. But I suppose that can be attributed to, away from defined Corridors and metropolitan areas, passenger trains are essentially non existent.