Railroad Forums 

• Markers on PR-20B

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1555779  by freightguy

I was a bit surprised by that myself being that they’re owned outright by the LIRR.

I think at this point the LIRR should really look into just rebuilding the MP15AC fleet. A shame that EMD and General Electric are just former shells of themselves. Any product put out today won’t compare to the old LIRR fleet of GP38-2’s and MP15ac’s. NYA 300 and 301 should be a prime example of that.
 #1555815  by gregorygrice

Markers are not really needed in freight as the engines do not trail often. If needed you just put an eot on the rear, which is a requirement anyway.
 #1555816  by Backshophoss

CR spec'ed red markers on their units
Anybody using distributed power the DP units should have red markers,"fred" doesn't always cut it as a marker
 #1555834  by gregorygrice

I was referring to the moves NYA does on LIRR. Huge class 1 freight trains with DPUs are a whole different story, but even then every other freight railroad is allowed to have the headlight on dim on the rear.
 #1556018  by DaveBarraza

gregorygrice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:56 pm Markers are not really needed in freight as the engines do not trail often.
It's funny half of the times I see RS-70 in Riverhead it's double-ended, the other half they do the runaround at LD siding with the 2 units together - but I don't see it that often. I assume it's just crew preference.
 #1556083  by LINYARailfan

DaveBarraza wrote:
gregorygrice wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:56 pm Markers are not really needed in freight as the engines do not trail often.
It's funny half of the times I see RS-70 in Riverhead it's double-ended, the other half they do the runaround at LD siding with the 2 units together - but I don't see it that often. I assume it's just crew preference.
DaveBarraza wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:42 pm
when the RS70 goes to Riverhead, they prefer to run double-ended so they can make it in and out of Paraco before the scoot returns from Greenport. If they need to yield to the scoot, they take the siding at AH. The only time you would have a chance of seeing NYA engines running around in LD nowadays is if you go out there after 12Midnight to see the RS60 which is the crew that serves Paraco most of the time.
 #1556300  by DaveBarraza

Teutobergerwald wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:57 pm The sidings east of KO controlled by Divide, or are they hand-thrown?
Hand throws, as mentioned above, plus east of KO is the last remaining segment of "251 Manual Block" territory on the railroad. Takes a Train Order (disguised as a Movement Form L) to run an extra out there.
 #1558621  by Backshophoss

MTA has a replace Diesel power on LIRR plan,NY&A is the freight contractor on LIRR,and has to comply with City smog rules..............