Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1555501  by theMainer

Something is going on. I just drove by the Portland Transportation Center and I saw that it was flooded with equipment. Both Sidings were full, also the Mountain Division was blocked with a full trainset on the passing track infront of the platform, and another full trainset north of the crossing.

While this would be normal 5 years ago before they opened the Brunswick Facility, does anyone know whats going on?
 #1555512  by shadyjay

theMainer wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:29 pm Something is going on. I just drove by the Portland Transportation Center and I saw that it was flooded with equipment. Both Sidings were full, also the Mountain Division was blocked with a full trainset on the passing track infront of the platform, and another full trainset north of the crossing.

While this would be normal 5 years ago before they opened the Brunswick Facility, does anyone know whats going on?
Probably this:
https://www.amtrak.com/alert/downeaster ... anges.html

Some Brunswick trains will originate/terminate in Portland due to track work by Pan-Am north of Portland. 10/26 and 10/27.
 #1555852  by Gilbert B Norman

Cosakita18 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:40 am Has there been any discussion on when the DE will resume a 5x daily pre-COVID schedule? I assume it would probably be spring of 2021.
Xmas '21 more like it, Mr. Cosakita.

We'll be living with this scourge through most of '21.
 #1555853  by Pensyfan19

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:04 pm We'll be living with this scourge all through '21.
But then again, there are numerous companies coming out with the vaccine for the "coof" (as one of my channel inspirations [American Rail Club] calls it), with Pfizer releasing their in the next few weeks. There will still be some social distancing for a few months, hence why everything is being moved to the Summer of '21, but more doses will be produced and numbers will continue to dwindle as the world starts to reopen, including numerous public transportation agencies already being at 90% frequency.
 #1555873  by Gilbert B Norman

It would be great if I could share your optimism, Mr. Pennsy, but even as a 79yo, who's "running out of time", I simply cannot.

I do concur that an approved VAX will be available during 1Q '21. First Responders, Public Safety, and other Health providers will be, and should be, "first up".

Even though I do not have any immune compromising health conditions, I think I will be offered the VAX during 2Q, as will others in my age bracket.

As a young person, Mr. Pennsy, absent some condition giving rise to weakened immunes, you can only expect such until 3Q at best.

So there will still be people awaiting the VAX, such as youngsters, in the 4Q.

I'm confident that the frequencies in the Corridors will be restored to pre-COVID levels in time, as Amtrak travel is not as "business travel sensitive" as is such for air transport. For LD trains, the frequency reductions are long overdue and the political pressure to maintain them "ain't what it was", say, thirty years ago.

disclaimer: Pfizer was mentioned earlier; author long PFE
 #1555887  by daybeers

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:07 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:04 pm We'll be living with this scourge all through '21.
There will still be some social distancing for a few months, hence why everything is being moved to the Summer of '21, but more doses will be produced and numbers will continue to dwindle as the world starts to reopen, including numerous public transportation agencies already being at 90% frequency.
I also hate to burst your bubble, but the world is not reopening anytime soon. Most of it, including the U.S., is seeing record high case numbers. I fully expect to see at least 100k new cases reported tomorrow, as October 30th was 99k, and some states don't report on weekends. On average, based on those numbers, there is more than one case per second.

Masks, distancing, and testing all work quite well if implemented correctly, efficiently, and equally everywhere, but unfortunately that's not happening.

I agree with Mr. Norman's vaccine timeline but that is only if this vaccine is effective and nothing goes wrong/gets delayed/backordered.

Does anyone know what the DE's numbers have been recently? I feel another frequency could come earlier than end of 2021, but that depends on what happens over the next 3-4 months or so.
 #1555919  by WashingtonPark

Maybe we should start posting the number of COVID-19 cases per day so we can discuss when the vaccine will be available as that seems to be what this thread is all about now, because, you know, I come to Railfan.net to get everybody's narrative on the panicdemic every day. :P
 #1555920  by Arborwayfan

I see what you mean, Mr. Washington Park. I kind of like rr.net as a refuge from conflict and argument about anything other than trains. On the other hand, Covid-19 (more specifically, people's and governments' reactions to Covid-19) are the main thing influencing ridership on Amtrak trains right now, and wondering when those trains might get enough demand to come back/add coaches/whatever is a pretty big part of thinking about any Amtrak route right now, so they're pretty much bound to come up.
 #1555923  by MEC407

WashingtonPark wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43 pm Maybe we should start posting the number of COVID-19 cases per day so we can discuss when the vaccine will be available as that seems to be what this thread is all about now, because, you know, I come to Railfan.net to get everybody's narrative on the panicdemic every day. :P
A legitimate question was asked about the Downeaster's service frequency during the pandemic. The answer(s) to that question depend on a variety of factors. One factor is the number of infections in the northeast at any given moment; another factor is the availability and efficacy of a vaccine. It would be impossible to answer the OP's question without discussing those things.
 #1555926  by theMainer

In other news a new schedule debuted today. The only change was train #681. The 9:05 AM out of North Station being moved up to 8:50 AM.

I can assume that is due to the new Commuter Rail Schedule that debuted today.
 #1555927  by swist

That schedule change is very minor victory for us who have been trying for an early train out of Boston for years (apparently not feasible because the train would have to overnight at BON which I guess is bad?).

Only 15 minutes but I'll take it. Will actually get to Brunswick for lunch (12:10).

Swist
 #1555929  by WashingtonPark

MEC407 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:46 pm
WashingtonPark wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43 pm Maybe we should start posting the number of COVID-19 cases per day so we can discuss when the vaccine will be available as that seems to be what this thread is all about now, because, you know, I come to Railfan.net to get everybody's narrative on the panicdemic every day. :P
A legitimate question was asked about the Downeaster's service frequency during the pandemic. The answer(s) to that question depend on a variety of factors. One factor is the number of infections in the northeast at any given moment; another factor is the availability and efficacy of a vaccine. It would be impossible to answer the OP's question without discussing those things.
It's a pointless discussion in a railroad forum, though. Nobody knows what's going to happen next week, let alone next month or next year. Trump, Fauci, the CDC, the WHO, (not the old rock band), haven't gotten it right yet. While Covid-19 will enter into the discussions for the now and after it's over, endless discussions over if or when we get a vaccine, how will it be handed out, how many should get it, can we get herd immunity, etc., etc., etc., is just debate for the sake of debate. Nobody, no matter how smart they think they are, knows the timeline. Why argue over it?
 #1555950  by MEC407

WashingtonPark wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 pm It's a pointless discussion in a railroad forum, though.
Unless or until an Amtrak Forum moderator says COVID-19 is off limits, it continues to be an allowed topic of discussion as it relates to Amtrak.

Speaking of which:
Portland Press Herald wrote:. . . because of rising case numbers in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, visitors to Maine from those states are now no longer exempt from Maine’s requirement that visitors quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to the state or produce a negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours prior to arrival. Massachusetts is also on the watch list for having its exemption removed because of rising cases there.
Source: https://www.pressherald.com/2020/11/03/ ... -covid-19/

It's possible that Downeaster service frequency will have to be reduced again as we ride out the current surge in cases.