Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1555756  by pumpers

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:15 pm ... This next part is optional, but a wye in Farmingdale and rebuilding the siding just south of Marl Rd should be considered. The wye would allow trains to go in either direction without having to move engines to either end of the train, while the siding would allow for MOW trains and equipment to park or for trains to pass each other should the need for it return in the future.
When is the last time there was a wye in Farmingdale, if ever? Looking at historicaerials.com, as far back as it goes (1931), I don't see one.
JS
 #1555757  by CR2721

pumpers wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:07 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:15 pm ... This next part is optional, but a wye in Farmingdale and rebuilding the siding just south of Marl Rd should be considered. The wye would allow trains to go in either direction without having to move engines to either end of the train, while the siding would allow for MOW trains and equipment to park or for trains to pass each other should the need for it return in the future.
When is the last time there was a wye in Farmingdale, if ever? Looking at historicaerials.com, as far back as it goes (1931), I don't see one.
JS
There was never a wye that curved southward from the Freehold Secondary, only the diamond. However, if you look at the property line of the right of way on maps, it is curved to accept a future wye link connection/expansion. Very smart if you ask me. Especially if a future shortline railroad decides to reactivate Farmingdale to Freehold for NEC runs
 #1555758  by Coast Line Railfan

pumpers wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:07 pm
JS
There wasn't. There was only one connection between the PRR and the CNJ, and that was the curve that exists today. The other "leg" was only a diamond next to Union Station which was demolished.

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5FC42A96
 #1556069  by Bracdude181

Today's SA31.

CSX 6160 leading with NS 5286 trailing. Appears to be a lengthy train...

Interesting combo of Ex Penn Central and Ex Chessie power.
 #1556378  by RailsEast

Good question. My last recorded Blue unit on the Southern was the last train into Lakehurst on 12/3/2010. I remember at the time that we all were chasing anything Blue in central NJ due to the paint shops being quite active on NS & CSX. I may have let one or two slip through back then due to work constraints; someone may have a later photo but I don't think it would be much later than December.

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=2327157

Chris
 #1556388  by CJPat

Chris,
I apologize but If I might offer a minor on such an old photo, and not trying to be putzy, but the building in the background was not Hangar #1 on Lakehurst NAS, but the Magnesium Elektron Powders NJ / Reade Manufacturing bldg on Colonial Way off of Ridgeway Blvd that is just north off the tracks and due north of the Manchester Elementary School.

That's the facility that had an explosion in Sep 2000 and one employee was killed (not railroad related). You can read an OSHA report on the incident here: https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establish ... =302717236
 #1556403  by RailsEast

Interesting reading, Chuck, thanks for the clarification. I had just assumed that a building that tall in the area was on Joint Base MDL property.
Never apologize for presenting the facts, my friend, I appreciate the info...
Chris
 #1556575  by Bracdude181

SA31 through Red Bank at 5:07 PM. Running a bit late today.

CSX 4432 leading with NS 5286 trailing. 10 cars for Woodhaven and 1 for Bel Ray.
 #1556580  by Bracdude181

Through Hamilton Rd at 5:50 PM. I hate chasing in freezing rain >:(

Just curious, how come Extech hasn't gotten a car in a while? Did NJT ban their cars or is it because of the Coronavirus? Or something else?